Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
Callalily6
DIS Veteran

Angry American Cancelled My Flights and Didn't Tell Me!

We leave for Disney in a couple of days and I just found out they cancelled my flights! They didn't move me to another flight, they just removed us from the ones we were on. I paid for seating on those flights as well. I just happened to notice otherwise I would have showed up at the airport and had no flight. We are traveling with 3 children and meeting my parents in Disney.

American didn't send an email, didn't refund the paid seats, and basically sucked. We're trying to get onto another flight now. Do I have any recourse? Someone help! I made my ressie months ago. I'd cancel the flight and drive at this point, but they won't let me.

Callalily6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

You need to find another flight which will work and have American rebook you, which they should do at no cost.

You should always check your reservations every few days to prevent these surprises. Any changes/cancellations will appear on your reservations page on your airline's website. No one should be leaving for the airport without checking the flight online first! I would think you would notice a problem when trying to check-in, unless you wait to do this at the airport. Yes, they should let you know, but they often don't.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
Callalily6
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
You need to find another flight which will work and have American rebook you, which they should do at no cost.

You should always check your reservations every few days to prevent these surprises. Any changes/cancellations will appear on your reservations page on your airline's website. Yes, they should let you know, but they often don't.
They did not. The only reason I noticed was because they removed my seat assignments. Since we are traveling with kids and paid for the seats, we called to find out what happened. American did not make any other changes, did not say our flights were cancelled, and the ressie still showed that we were on the flights the original flights.

Callalily6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Don't panic. This is very annoying, but you should be able to work this out. You may even get a better flight.

I have not flown American in several years, so I don't know what their policy is on notifying PAX about flight changes.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callalily6 View Post
They did not. The only reason I noticed was because they removed my seat assignments. Since we are traveling with kids and paid for the seats, we called to find out what happened. American did not make any other changes, did not say our flights were cancelled, and the ressie still showed that we were on the flights the original flights.
From your two postings in this thread, it's unclear to me if American actually removed the flights from its schedule or just cancelled your seat assignments.

In either case, American should take care of you. If the first phone agent doesn't help you, ask for a supervisor. It's easy to get angry, but things will work out better if you are calm and polite, but firm. Tell American what you expect.

You expect American to get fly you to your destination on the date that you booked. You expect flight times on American (or another airline if necessary) that are similar to what you originally booked or that are better for your needs.

You expect seat assignments that are at least as good as what you paid for. If you paid for Preferred seats and they now only have Preferred Plus seats together, then you expect to be assigned to Preferred Plus at no additional cost.

Please call American again and share outcome of the call on this thread.

Last edited by Horace Horsecollar; 09-18-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Horace Horsecollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
Horace Horsecollar

According to news reports, American Airlines is canceling some flights this week because of staffing shortages caused by pilots who are unhappy with cost-cutting terms:

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/s...nes/57799620/1
Old 09-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
We leave for Disney in a couple of days and I just found out they cancelled my flights! They didn't move me to another flight, they just removed us from the ones we were on. I paid for seating on those flights as well. I just happened to notice otherwise I would have showed up at the airport and had no flight. We are traveling with 3 children and meeting my parents in Disney.

American didn't send an email, didn't refund the paid seats, and basically sucked. We're trying to get onto another flight now. Do I have any recourse? Someone help! I made my ressie months ago. I'd cancel the flight and drive at this point, but they won't let me.
What city are you flying from? Are there other flights available?

Quote:
Is the flight actually cancelled or did they just bump you from the flight? Or you just don't have seat assignments (perhaps change of aircraft type)?

Last edited by DebbieB; 09-18-2012 at 11:18 AM.
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Have you spoken with them. Generally if they cancel the flight they will give you a refund so I find the "they won't let me" stange unless...

How did you book this? Did you book it on AA.com or on Expedia/Orbitz etc.... If so that's the problem. Call THEM!

Otherwise you may need to post some details because your thread is VERY confusing. They can't have left you on a cancelled flight...
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
nilseks
DIS Veteran

OP, the same exact thing happened to me last year. Fortunately, I noticed it a few months out. Same thing--they never notified me. I even went back and looked in my spam folder.

When I called them, they were basically like, "Huh, weird." (insert headscratching noise in the background). As if this was the first they had ever heard of this happening. Yeah, right! LOL.

In my case, since it was a few months out, I noticed there was a cheaper flight on another airline and I made them refund my money. I ended up saving a few hundred bucks and got a better flight time, so I was all smiles. But in your case, if you have the record locator number, I would imagine they would have to work with you to rebook. They were willing to work with me.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

If the flights still exist and any connection times are not too badly shortened, the airline does not have the right to cancel your reservations.

Otherwise, start hand picking alternate flights on the same airline you would like, then telephone and request those flights. If those flights are sold out then of course they can't put you on but if there is room in the same section of the plane then they may not charge you more.

If you can't get flights that work out for you then request and press for a refund. Business secret: It is illegal to take money and not furnish the goods or services, so you are entitled to a money refund even with nonrefundable tickets.

Long long time ago, airlines required that you reconfirm your flights something like 72 to 48 hours in advance. (I'm not sure what you say other than the redundancy "I want to reconfirm my flights".)
Hotel scam! Someone "from the front desk" calls your room phone or knocks on the door, usually after midnight, asking for your credit card number to complete your billing or you will be kicked out. Don't give it to him. It can wait until dawn when you stop by the front desk. This includes Disney's resorts too.

Last edited by seashoreCM; 09-18-2012 at 12:05 PM.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
dudspizza
I married in to a Disney crazy family... now I have become the craziest of them all!

I am confused as well. I wonder if it is a last minute cancellation due to the article Horace posted. If they had cancelled months ago, you would have seen it on your itinerary. If the cancellation just happened, you may not have been notified....... Whenever I fly AA I sign up for updates sent to me via email or text.....

I am also confused with the purchase of seats....... every time I have flown AA there has not been a cost to get assigned seats, unless they have started that policy.

Call AA immediately and get this figured out.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudspizza View Post
I am also confused with the purchase of seats....... every time I have flown AA there has not been a cost to get assigned seats, unless they have started that policy.
American does not charge for seat assignments, but many seats now are "premium" seats (exit rows, bulkheads, even plain old aisle and window seats in the front half of the plane) that require an additional fee for non-elite flyers to book them in advance. Given that most flights are flying fairly full these days, families that want to sit together are frequently forced to pay for these premium seats if they want to get seat assignments together without waiting to roll the dice that something without an upcharge will open up at some point.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
dudspizza
I married in to a Disney crazy family... now I have become the craziest of them all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
American does not charge for seat assignments, but many seats now are "premium" seats (exit rows, bulkheads, even plain old aisle and window seats in the front half of the plane) that require an additional fee for non-elite flyers to book them in advance. Given that most flights are flying fairly full these days, families that want to sit together are frequently forced to pay for these premium seats if they want to get seat assignments together without waiting to roll the dice that something without an upcharge will open up at some point.
I always fly using air miles as well, so maybe that is why I have never seen a price for seats......
Old 09-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
Horace Horsecollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudspizza View Post
I am confused as well. I wonder if it is a last minute cancellation due to the article Horace posted. If they had cancelled months ago, you would have seen it on your itinerary. If the cancellation just happened, you may not have been notified....... Whenever I fly AA I sign up for updates sent to me via email or text.....

Call AA immediately and get this figured out.
Whatever has changed with the OP's flights appears to be last-minute change. Usually, American freezes its schedule several months out and sends email if flights have changed.

Having to pay AA for assignment to Preferred Seats is relatively new:

http://www.aa.com/preferredseatsfooter5_8

There are still rows of seats in the back of the economy cabin that are available for advance assignment at no charge, as well as middle seats in the front of economy. However, on a leisure route on which price-sensitive passengers book up to 11 months in advance, it's very possible that there were no seat assignments together when the OP booked.

I'm looking forward to learning what the OP was able to work out with AA.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
ctl
Mouseketeer

So sorry this is happening to you.

I definitely think you should keep calling and going up the chain of command until you find someone who will resolve this issue for you. My 2 teens are heading out next weekend to WDW by themselves (frst time flying without my DH and I) for MNSSHP and I assumed I would be notified of any changes of fights or cancellations. Thanks for the heads up. I am going to double check their reservations today. Good luck with resolving the issue. Let us know what happens.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: