Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
Baby Pluto
Under the Sea

AKL Arusha or Savannah view?

Can someone please explain the differences between booking a savannah view vs an Arusha savannah view? Anyone have experiences with either, or both?

I'm booking our AKL stay tomorrow for January 2013 and would like to know the differences between the two. Is it worth the price difference?
Baby Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
eangel12
DIS Veteran

I am curious too!! Are they the same thing?!
eangel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Arusha is a specific savannah at AKL Jambo House, but there are two other savannahs--Sunset and Uzima. Arusha is considered the best savannah in terms of its appearance and the selection of animals and is the central savannah that you can view from the area off of the main lobby. If you book just a savannah view you could wind up with a room overlooking any one of the three; most likely Sunset or Uzima.

You can see descriptions of the different savannahs at this link. I would note that the listings of animals that are on each of the savannahs is out of date.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
gizfish
We wants the redhead! Gives us the redhead!

Basically Disney noticed lots of people making requests for the Arusha savannah and decided they could make more money off us by making it into a separate category ; ) You will see animals with any savannah view you book.
gizfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

I've booked a stay at AKL for mid-January and have been researching this myself.

Check out this map: http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/aklmap.htm

and then read:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/resor...ge/animals.htm
and
http://www.aklresort.com/content/savanna-view-room

My understanding is that the center of the horseshoe is the Arusha view...the outside of the horseshoe are the other savannah views.

I nooked an Arusha view and requested a room at the very end of the zebra trail but think I'm going to call and change it to the middle of the zebra trail so it's not as long a walk to the lobby and buses!

Also, I've read that about 50% (based on threads that I've read on here) of people get upgraded for free. I think a lot of people don't pay for the savannah views because there are a lot of public viewing areas all around the resort. Then there are lots of savannah rooms open so ta-dah! free upgrades. Take that for what it's worth. I'm going during the value season so am tempted to downgrade to a pool view room and see what happens!
loveshak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Baby Pluto
Under the Sea

Well, we'll have to see what happens!
We've booked our stay (for mid January too!) at the Jamba house with a savannah view! I suppose we'll end up with any of the 3 but from the sounds of it, there shouldn't be a problem at all. I'm most excited to see the giraffes and zebras!
Old 09-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Pluto View Post
I'm most excited to see the giraffes and zebras!
If those are what you are most excited about (I love the giraffes), then you should be able to see both at AKL. I will note, however, that I don't think that either one are out on Sunset and Uzima savannahs. As a result, if your room has a view of one of those two savannahs you will have to go to the main Arusha viewing area off of the lobby to see them. Only Arusha-view rooms directly overlook zebras and giraffe.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
Baby Pluto
Under the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
If those are what you are most excited about (I love the giraffes), then you should be able to see both at AKL. I will note, however, that I don't think that either one are out on Sunset and Uzima savannahs. As a result, if your room has a view of one of those two savannahs you will have to go to the main Arusha viewing area off of the lobby to see them. Only Arusha-view rooms directly overlook zebras and giraffe.
Are you positive? I heard giraffes are visible from all savannah views.
If not, that's a bit of a disappointment
Old 09-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #9
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Giraffes are visible from all three - zebras however are not. Zebras are only on Arusha.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, we'll have to see what happens!
We've booked our stay (for mid January too!) at the Jamba house with a savannah view! I suppose we'll end up with any of the 3 but from the sounds of it, there shouldn't be a problem at all. I'm most excited to see the giraffes and zebras!
Well my DH and I might run into you at some point (of course not even realizing it)! We are actually checking in January 21 - not sure if that counts as mid or late January! I'm hoping a room discount or free dining announcment is made soon. Are you following any of the January 2013 discount watch threads?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshak22 View Post
Giraffes are visible from all three - zebras however are not. Zebras are only on Arusha.
The animals on each savannah change through time, for example, when I first visited I believe only Arusha had zebras, however, when I had an Uzima view in 2010, the first 2 mt. zebras had been added that week to the animal groups on that savanna, the giraffes were there (a family group including a teenager born @ ak) and had been there for awhile. Sunset had 1 zebra and several very inquisitive giraffes. When I had lunch @ Sanaa in 2011, there were 7 zebras on Sunset, quite a herd, actually, and a lot more than the lonely solo guy the year before.
When people answer these questions, it might be helpful if they note how current their information is - best, of course would be someone there now, but even then, by the time a person visits, the animals may have changed. I don't know, for example, if the 2 zebras I saw on Uzima in Dec. 2010, were moved over to Sunset to form part of the herd by 2011.

BTW, there's a 4th, very small savannah called Pembe which is on the far side of the DVC Kidani section of the resort - no giraffes there as their barn is too short for them.

Last edited by sndral; 09-19-2012 at 06:38 PM.
sndral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
Baby Pluto
Under the Sea

Quote:
Well my DH and I might run into you at some point (of course not even realizing it)! We are actually checking in January 21 - not sure if that counts as mid or late January! I'm hoping a room discount or free dining announcment is made soon. Are you following any of the January 2013 discount watch threads?
Oh my goodness, that's too funny! We're checking in on the 21st as well!
Now I'll be wondering which visitors are members of the Disney board lol.

I am, here and there, but I haven't heard of any deals yet!
Old 09-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #13
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh my goodness, that's too funny! We're checking in on the 21st as well!
Now I'll be wondering which visitors are members of the Disney board lol.

I am, here and there, but I haven't heard of any deals yet!
That's funny! At one point there was a discussion about Dissers having a green something or other so we could identify each other at parks...although I've never seen anyone with one. I could probably search the threads to refresh my memory!

Hopefully we hear about some deals soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #14
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Here's one thread - if you see anyone with a lime green Mickey head then you've spotted a Dis-er!

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...n+mickey+heads

I'm not too crafty but one of the posts said to go to Home Depot and get one of the lime green Mickey paint samples...haha...if I pass a Home Depot I might
Old 09-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #15
gizfish
We wants the redhead! Gives us the redhead!

Quote:
In 1/10, they had zebras on all savannahs. They had recently added a species of zebra that would get along with all the other animals so that they didn't have to limit zebras to only Arusha. We were at the very end of the ostrich trail and saw zebras every day as well as giraffes, cattle, ostriches, etc. The zebras did get into scuffles with each other, but not with the other animals. Don't know if AKL has changed back to limiting where the zebras are again.
gizfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
akl, arusha, savannah

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: