Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
jennykay
Mouseketeer

safety tat and a 2 year old

My 2yo is a fast little guy, and I know we will all be taking in the sights and it would just take a second for him to be off and running between people's legs. I'm not arrogant enough to say we could never lose sight of him. So...I like the idea of those safety tattoos with our cell numbers.

Here's my question - where do you put it on a 2 year old? He's not old enough to say "hey, my mom's phone number is on my belly" but if I put it where it can easily be seen, won't it be seen in all of our pictures, too?

If you've used these before with kids who are not verbal, how did you do it? Thanks!

1989-offsite
1992-one day in MK-offsite
9/2007-Pop Century - MNSSHP
9/2008-ASMovies
10/2012-Pop Century
jennykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

On their arm between the wrist and elbow.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

We used those for our last visit and will use them again on our upcoming visit in November. We put them on our daughter's arm right around where the sleeve of her shirt meets her arm when she is in short sleeves. If she wears long sleeves on this upcoming trip, we may move that down as the pp suggested.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
MistressMerryweather
DIS Veteran

I don't like these because they can be peeled off. My 1yo and 3yo would have them "picked" off in no time. I realize they will be distracted and busy mostly, but the likelihood that they would eventually pick at them is huge. Also, I don't like the idea that they could rub or wash off eventually, or get hidden under clothes and they only last 1-3 days.
We use the small size custom silicone bracelets from Shanrene.com. You stretch them over their ankle and they cannot get them off, especially with shoes on. They are soft and fit loose when they are on.
They can get wet and wear them non-stop from the time we leave our house until we get home. They are about $3.49/ea and you can choose colors and get Disney Font. We put "The Blank Family" on the front outside, and "(555)555-5555 (or) 5556" on the back outside. We have two cells that are one number off, so we are able to get them both on there.

ETA: I get the regular size for my 5yo+ kids. I did try the small on my very tiny 15 mos dd. she is only 17.5 pounds and the small didn't fit. I think as long as they are 2yo and up, these work great...or if you have a 1yo who isn't a pixie, like mine is.

Me ~ DH ~ Ds(11) ~ Dd(9) ~ Ds(5) ~ Dd(3) ...our Sept. 2010 DW souvenir ~ Dd(1)

Last edited by MistressMerryweather; 09-18-2012 at 09:08 PM.
MistressMerryweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
BMMAA
Earning My Ears

I also apply it between my daughter's wrist and elbow but on the underside of her arm so it does not appear in most photos.
BMMAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
BMMAA
Earning My Ears

I also apply it between my daughter's wrist and elbow but on the underside of her arm so it does not appear in most photos.
BMMAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
ScrampShopper
Mouseketeer

I put it on the back if her arm, half covered by the short sleeve. I have also put it on the back of her neck. Easy for a CM to see, but not obvious in pics.
DD never tried to pick hers off, not were they that easy to remove when I wanted it off. I also put Disney character tattoos on her arms where she could see them so she never had a reason to pay attention to the tattoo that was out of her sight. She loved her Disney tattoos and showed them off to everyone.
ScrampShopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
linzbear
Flirts with Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMMAA
Yup, this is what I did. Any pictures it may have shown up in it was easy to Photoshop it out.

I had no problems with picking at age 21 months or at 2.5 years. Every night I would check to see if the number was peeling off at all and if it was I got the baby oil out and took it off, and applied a new one on the opposite arm.

He loved it and showed everyone his 'choo-choo'
04/92 - CBR | 03/94 - Offsite | 03/03 - VWL | 05/05 - BWV | 05/06 - DLR | 12/06 - VWL | 04/07 - BCV | 10/07 - OKW/AKV | 12/07 - VWL | 09/08 - OKW | 10/09 - AKV | 11/10 - AKV/VWL | 10/11 - BLT/Swan | 5/13 - VWL
Planned:
11/14 - AKV
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

no flames please because I love this idea - we did the 'easy' safety tat with a Sharpie (I know, ink, toxic, etc., but it was just for a few days on vacation) and put it on their upper arm, where it was under their sleeve. Even on our older children, who might panic at remembering our cell number when in fear. I always had other people mention what a good idea it was as we would 'touch up' in the line of the park in the morning with our Sharpie pen (doubling as our autograph pen!) However you do this, it's a good idea in case you get separated.
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
aubreysmom09
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykay
My 2yo is a fast little guy, and I know we will all be taking in the sights and it would just take a second for him to be off and running between people's legs. I'm not arrogant enough to say we could never lose sight of him. So...I like the idea of those safety tattoos with our cell numbers.

Here's my question - where do you put it on a 2 year old? He's not old enough to say "hey, my mom's phone number is on my belly" but if I put it where it can easily be seen, won't it be seen in all of our pictures, too?

If you've used these before with kids who are not verbal, how did you do it? Thanks!
Our 2.5 year old has been wearing them for almost a year now. We put it on her forearm. She knows where it is, and knows to point to it. Also knows to look for a woman with children, or a police officer. We go through the what if questions with her. We rarely saw it in our pictures. We go to Busch Gardens weekly, and the Safety Tat is the one thing I will not leave the house with out. We watched a family lose their 4 year old. They found her 5 min. Later about 200 yards up a hill from where they were.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #11
bankgirl05
DIS Veteran

I use the safety tats also, but thankfully, never needed them. I have put them on my kids arm at sleeve height and also on the forearm, I really never noticed them in pics, but I am going to go back and look for them now!!!

Another thing I ALWAYS do is snap a picture of them with my camera phone before we leave the hotel, just so I can remember what they are wearing, if in a panic!!! Because I am positive at that very crucial moment, I would not be able to tell you what my kids had on, just that I knew that thier underwear was clean!!!!
bankgirl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #12
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

After considering the safety tat, we decided to get a dog tag (like what you would put on a dog's collar) and attach it to their shoes. If they are swimming, it can be attached to their bathing suits.

I like the safety tat in principle, but these dog tags will last longer IMO.

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #13
aubreysmom09
Mouseketeer

We never had a issue with it coming off at the parks or water park. We do replace hers everyday since she has sensitive skin. We also take a picture. Im also a former parole officer,and kind of over do it to most people.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #14
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

We never had an issue with DD picking at her safety tat. They do only last for about three days, but I found they are beter quality than most kids tatoos and stay on longer than some of those that DD gets for free at promotions, etc.

We also take a pic of DD every morning.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #15
anc876
Mouseketeer

I just purchased the Kid Safe Club Child Safety Bracelets off eBay. Adjustable, waterproof, inexpensive and cannot be taken off by a small child.
anc876 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: