DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
gregsbrat
Mouseketeer

OKW; Kidani or SS?

Due to lack of availability I am stuck choosing from only these 3 resorts...which one would you choose and why?? Thanks!
gregsbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
marsh0013
i want to drive the zamboni

when are you going? what size room are you booking? what is the makeup of the group that is going? i can't give an opinion without knowing the answers to these questions.

~Yacht Club June 2014~Coronado December 2013~BWV October 2013~BCV April 2013~ASSp, BCV, BWV Oct/Nov 2012~AKV & BWV May 2012~ASSp & BWV October 2011~Pop Century June 2011~BWV & POFQ February 2011~SSR November 2010~Yacht Club CL & BWV May 2010~BWI Club Level October 2009~Swan June 2009~Pop Century March 2009~Pop Century November 2008~Pop Century August 2008~Pop Century Apr/May 2008~Celebration November 2007~Celebration September 2007~POLYNESIAN August 2007~Celebration November 20, 2006~10 or so trips growing up offsite (grandparent's house)~
i love the 50's prime time cafe!

June 2009 BDay Solo Dining Report Mar 2009 Solo Dining Report
Nov 2008 Solo Dining Report Nov 2008 Solo Trip to Pop
Family Trip Dining Report, August 2008 Family Trip to Pop Report, Aug 13-20
Solo Deluxe Dining, Apr/May 2008 Solo Pop Apr 30-May 7 Trip Report
marsh0013 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Geomom
Mouseketeer

We had a choice of those 3 for October last year.

Kidani was one we hadn't stayed at and wanted to try someday. So...we did a savanna view studio and loved it. Loved watching the animals. Loved the cultural activities in the 'library', and loved that the community hall was inside the Kidani building (meaning we did not have to go out in the rain to get to it.) Also loved that the room service menu was unusual--it comes from Sanaa restaurant. (People will complain about the 'long' hallways...but stay there when it's raining and you'll be thankful you don't have to walk outside like OKW and SSR.) Didn't get to enjoy the pool too much, but they have a very cool spray playground for the kids near the pool.

OKW--stayed at once. Lots of space in the rooms, 2 queens in the studio. Liked the laid back feel of the place. Didn't like how spread out it was.

SSR--stayed at studios twice. Disliked it both times. SSR--people seem to either love it or hate it. No real reason why I dislike it, other than the decor was too 'dreary' for me. I don't like how spread out this one is either.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
gregsbrat
Mouseketeer

Thanks for quick responses, keep them coming!! We are a family of 3 consisting of DH, 8 yo DS and myself...we are travelling for 9 nights during Easter break and will have studio accomadations
Old 09-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
Sammie
DIS Veteran

We like all 3 and would never consider staying there as being stuck.

OKW, largest rooms, studios there will have two queen size beds. SSR and Kidani will have a queen bed and sofa bed. That would be the deal breaker for me. I would want two beds.

That said, OKW and SSR have the most central location to all things at Disney World. You are not that far to any park. Kidani on the other hand is a good bit further to every park except Animal Kingdom. It is the furthest DVC resort to the Magic Kingdom.

All have very nice, fun pools. SSR has a new themed pool at the Paddocks which is really nice. Kidani only has the one pool however you can go over to Jambo House. SSR and OKW have more pools.

Also Kidani does not have a quick service restaurant, you have to go over to Jambo House for quick service.

Of the 3, SSR has the best quick service, as they have a new one at the Paddock Pool and then the main one in the Carriage House.

SSR rooms are being redone and should be finished by your trip. They are being done with a Fox and Hound theme.

SSR is closest to Downtown Disney which is nice.

Kidani is hotel set up, SSR and OKW are Condo set up.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
Candy Orlando
DIS Veteran

All DVC Resorts are beautiful.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
DrChuck23
Earning My Ears

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I'm sure you've looked at the point totals for each for your dates. OKW should be the least.
I have found the buses for SSR and (a slightly lesser extent) OKW tend to be very packed especially when the parks close at night and EVERYBODY is trying to get back.
DrChuck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbrat View Post
Thanks for quick responses, keep them coming!! We are a family of 3 consisting of DH, 8 yo DS and myself...we are travelling for 9 nights during Easter break and will have studio accomadations
boy you are lucky to find anything this late for easter. it is WDW 2nd busiest season. the parks are open late. that means they will be crowded. so would want a good community hall for activities when the parks are just too darn full.

so that means either SSR or AKV. love OKW but its community hall is way to small and always noisey. ssr is better has 2 different sections - so it is definitely better organized. AKV have not actually used it.

SSR has more pools than AKV - although AKV does share with AKL and it pool is really big.

hard to say. would generally go with OKW because of the 2 queen beds - but you will be spending alot of time here. Now maybe wrong you might go to the parks and just stay all day and night.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #9
peacelover
Mouseketeer

For nine days I would probably go with Saratoga. I like to spend a lot of time outside. Saratoga has the 4 pools, lots of activity going on at the main pool..(bingo, pool games for the kids, )a nice little bar area at the pool, they have bike rentals, community hall activities, the spa for your wife, 2 quick service places, a sit down, pool table, arcade, horseshoes, grill areas, easy access to downtown disney for movies, dining, and shopping, and convenient to the rest of orlando if you are venturing offsite. I stayed at saratoga 3x, was very pleasantly surprised the first time, I would definitely return.
EDIT for some reason i saw your name as Greg... sorry...not gregsbrat... so a nice spa for you is what i mean.

Last edited by peacelover; 09-18-2012 at 12:10 AM.
peacelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:22 AM   #10
gregsbrat
Mouseketeer

If I was to choose Saratoga, which section should I try and request?? Leaning towards this bc we have never stayed here, we will have a car and my son loves popping in and out of Disney Quest
Old 09-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #11
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Due to lack of availability I am stuck choosing from only these 3 resorts...which one would you choose and why?? Thanks!
OKW has the largest rooms and cheapest points, great for laying about the room.

SSR you can walk to DD and enjoy the shopping and nightime entertainment.

AKV has great theming and animals.

I've stayed in all three within the last year and enjoyed my stay at each one.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #12
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
A big difference is that in the studios, OKW has 2 beds and AKV and SSR have a bed and a pullout.

My preference is to have the bed and the pullout.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #13
jimmytammy
Swivel, it's a hard habit to break
Not Tammy, just Jimmy
Go, Panthers!!! (oh, nevermind...)

Stuck
OKW is a very nice resort IMO. Im not crazy about the studio layouts, but love the 1 beds. Never stayed at Kidani but imagine it being a wonderful place. It is big. There studios are very similar to VWL which is where we stay often, and I prefer that studio layout to OKW. SSR isnt our fav DVC resort, but has a some nice amenities.

So if I were choosing, I would go OKW or Kidani. But its DVC, you cant go wrong with whatever you choose!
Old 09-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #14
magicaldisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
would never consider staying there as being stuck.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #15
iluveeyore
DVC Member - Disney is my second home!

Quote:
If I was to choose Saratoga, which section should I try and request?? Leaning towards this bc we have never stayed here, we will have a car and my son loves popping in and out of Disney Quest
Our preference is the Grandstand - nice pool with refill station and kids play area, first bus stop to be picked up and dropped off, quick walk to the main hall and DVC ferry (1-2 minutes). Other guests have mentioned the Paddock is nice because of the new pool area, but we found Grandstand just as new and nice, only much quieter.

If you want to walk to DTD, stay in Congress Park - those rooms have had a 'soft' refurbishment (new linens, upholstery, lamps), and it's literally a two minute walk to the Marketplace, and they have a nice quiet pool (no play area at this pool). Since you have a car, you could drive up to the main hall whenever you needed to.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: