Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
bob100
DIS Veteran

Canon 6D announced

Canon 6D
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...cameras/eos_6d

As if the world needs another new camera
bob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

Same price as the Nikon D600. Coincidence?

fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

I'm more interested in what the Nikon guys have to say about the D600. It seems to me that Canon cut too many corners. My 60D is fine but I'm wondering if it's time to jump ship and is the D600 enough of an excuse to do so.

What I've read, Canon missed the mark, and the CHANCE, on the 6D. It makes me sad too. I thought the 6D was destined to be the first FF I could afford to buy.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFlyer View Post
I'm more interested in what the Nikon guys have to say about the D600. It seems to me that Canon cut too many corners. My 60D is fine but I'm wondering if it's time to jump ship and is the D600 enough of an excuse to do so.

What I've read, Canon missed the mark, and the CHANCE, on the 6D. It makes me sad too. I thought the 6D was destined to be the first FF I could afford to buy.
It seems like there's not a lot of love out there for the D600 either (at least based on what was announced). I suspect that's largely because the price is $500-600 more than the rumor mill was suggesting it would be. The camera is being criticized as a FF D7000, but I don't know what more people could have expected. If the specs were any better there would be little difference between it and the D800.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
C&B Young
Twitter @CanaDisney

The guys on ISO5571 discussed the 6D and D600 on this week's episode. As a Canon shooter I agree with them, if Canon had just put a better autofocus system in the 6D (like the 7D's) they would've had a lot of sales on their hands - ours included. It seems like the 6D has been intentionally crippled to justify the MSRP of the 5D Mark III.
C&B Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
Daisy14'sDH
DIS Veteran

For a meager 25% more you can get Either a D800 or a 5D Mark III, at that for what is offered Id save the money and wait

Click here to see more from TkO Digital Imaging on Facebook

"Lightbulbs die my dear, I will depart!" As said by Mr. Magorium
Daisy14'sDH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:38 PM   #7
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy14'sDH
For a meager 25% more you can get Either a D800 or a 5D Mark III, at that for what is offered Id save the money and wait
I'm not familiar with the Canon pricing, but for the Nikon it's closer to 50% more ($2100 for the d600 versus $3000 for the d800). I think I might prefer to put that difference toward new glass.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

It's funny, the things I'm seeing people post are not unlike what was said when the 60D was released.

I'm waiting for some real world ISO/image quality tests. If it out performs the 5DmkII in that respect then it's a great buy in my opinion. Because really, the specs read more like an updated version of that camera which makes sense since the 5DmkIII created a large gap in the Canon lineup. The only feature I'm really disappointed about is the lack of 100% viewfinder coverage. But then the 5DmkII didn't have 100% viewfinder coverage either. Other than that the built in wireless and the price makes this a really attractive option for me. I was going for the 5DmkIII after the first of the year, but I'd love to have an extra grand to buy another lens. The ISO performance will be the decision maker for me, since that's my bottom line.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #9
bob100
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post

I'm waiting for some real world ISO/image quality tests. If it out performs the 5DmkII in that respect then it's a great buy in my opinion. Because really, the specs read more like an updated version of that camera which makes sense since the 5DmkIII created a large gap in the Canon lineup. The only feature I'm really disappointed about is the lack of 100% viewfinder coverage. But then the 5DmkII didn't have 100% viewfinder coverage either. Other than that the built in wireless and the price makes this a really attractive option for me. I was going for the 5DmkIII after the first of the year, but I'd love to have an extra grand to buy another lens. The ISO performance will be the decision maker for me, since that's my bottom line.
the 6D looks like a good full frame option, hope the price drops below $2K
bob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #10
C&B Young
Twitter @CanaDisney

Still conflicted about this camera. Really want to like it, but the autofocus is still a concern for us. This "hands-on" review says that although there aren't a ton of AF points that it seemed fast & accurate in their limited scenario. And Canon Japan's website has some sample shots & videos up. I hope some independent, real-world users can get to post some reviews before the camera becomes available in December.
C&B Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

I still can't get past no built-in flash. That's probably the only thing stopping me at this point. They are a MUST HAVE in an unanticipated situation. Unbelievable.

Favor, D600.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

I have to agree on the flash. Why not put it on an entry level FF camera. I dont always carry an external flash on me. The Nikon does look better to me. Now maybe they can make some mirrorless FF. Thats my speed;-)
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #13
photo_chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFlyer View Post
I still can't get past no built-in flash. That's probably the only thing stopping me at this point. They are a MUST HAVE in an unanticipated situation. Unbelievable.

Favor, D600.
That is standard for full frame DSLR's from Canon. I'd say it was for "professional" cameras from them and dates back to 35mm cameras but it could be argued that the 7D is a professional crop camera and it has a poop up flash. To me it the lack of an onboard flash is one indication of which users they might have had in mind when they designed the camera regardless of who it ends up being marketed toward.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
That is standard for full frame DSLR's from Canon. I'd say it was for "professional" cameras from them and dates back to 35mm cameras but it could be argued that the 7D is a professional crop camera and it has a poop up flash. To me it the lack of an onboard flash is one indication of which users they might have had in mind when they designed the camera regardless of who it ends up being marketed toward.
Freudian slip?
Old 09-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
photo_chick

LOL... guess so. Now you know how I really feel about the pop up flash.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: