Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #46
K and K's Mommy
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
DIS Veteran
SpectroMagic and the fireworks after it are pure Disney magic
Try a Chocolate Wave next time you're in The Land

All of us get it. None of us have ever had the flu. Two years ago there was flu all around us. My youngest was one of two in his class to not get it. I have one with mild asthma, but the rest of us are all healthy. Even though I am sure we could handle the flu, I cannot imagine being in bed for a week. I also cannot imagine the amount of makeup work my kids would have!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #47
2binak
DVC Owner

Getting mine this week!

I didn't get flu shots until 2000. Before that, I would get sick at least once a season and be out of work for upwards of a week at a time. In the last 12 years that I've been getting the shot, I've gotten the flu once or twice and they've been very mild cases.

Dh & I work for large corporations and are in contact with hundreds of people a day and our DD's daycare center has nearly 100 kids. Also, Dd & I both have asthma, putting us in the high risk category so all 3 of us get flu shots.

11/90 Offsite, 11/97 PO, 5/99 DL, 1/00 CS, 1/04 PC, 12/05 SSR, 5/07 AKL, 10/08 SSR, 5/09 POFQ, 11/09 AKV Kidani, 11/10 AKV Kidani, 10/11 BWV, 10/12 BWV, 11/13 AKV Kidani, 5/14 BLT, 11/14 BWV
2binak is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #48
faerieprincess
on the threshold of revelation

Five years ago I had the flu for five whole weeks; it was the sickest I've ever been. Since then I have always gotten the flu shot and have never had more than a fever in reaction to it.

How do we love Disney? Let me count the ways! (Completed February 2009 TR)
A foolish promise finally kept - the PTR (Completed February 2009 PTR)
faerieprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #49
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

DH gets the flu shot every year (it's free where he works). I don't get the flu shot.

In our 25 years of marriage, he's had the flu about 3 or 4 times, I've had it once.

All that being said, I'm getting the shot this year because we're about to embark on a long cruise, and being "shut in" with over 2000 of my "best friends" in a closed environment like that, it's not worth the risk to me.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #50
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

My entire family has gotten flu shots for the past several years. None of us gets the flu when we get the shot.

Many years ago when my kids did not the get the shot, they would each spend a week out of school with the flu every year. Now that we all get the shot, we do not get the flu.

I work with preschoolers and would never skip getting my shot. My doctor and the kids' pediatrician highly recommend it.
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #51
disfan07
DIS Veteran

I never used to get one because of my egg allergy but my new allergist will give the flu shot to egg allergic patiens so I have been getting it since 2009. First year, no reaction. Second year, rash. Third year, asthma attack. But because of my asthma, heart problem, gi problems and immunosuppresents, we've all decided the benefits outweigh the risks.

This year, I was supposed to get the flu shot today but my allergist won't receive it until the end of October so I can't get it until right before thanksgiving. I am going back to school and I will be working with kids so we are a little concerned that I will get the flu before I get the shot.

Some people think that my doctors are irresponsible for giving me the flu shot but they don't know my situation. It's a personal decision but I firmly believe in the flu shot.

Oh....and if anyone is concerned about the preservatives in it, just ask for a preservative free one. Most if not all offices have it. That's what I get without asking for it.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #52
4nana
God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Godspeed and thanks to our troops and their families for their sacrifices.

DH and I get ours annually . Best decision we ever made, luckily have never had the fu and rarely even get a cold!!
Blessed with 4 loving kiddos & IL's, 13 sweet grands, 50 Golden Years & Anniv. cruise gift....PRICELESS!!

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children & grandchildren: 'One is roots, the other is wings'.
~~~~~
Life is a journey ~ love makes the trip worthwhile

Grandchildren are God's reward for being a parent

"For He shall give the angels charge over thee, to keep thee safe in all thy ways" Psalms 91:11

For my dear Mom in heaven
4nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #53
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi
is looking for a funny tag to put under her name
How about..Eats all the peanut butter out of the chocolate ice cream?
Showed BestBuy her Best Pink Lace

I have a nephew who is fighting leukemia. He just had a bone marrow transplant and has no immune system. He will be semi quarantined in his home when he gets released from hospital in a week. He won't be ale to go out until late spring or early summer I think. Nobody can visit without te flu shot. I have a sister who is against the shot. She won't get it for herself or her children. I am pretty upset about this. It means she and her children won't be able to visit all that time. If he should have a collocation it could get very bad quickly. This is upsetting me.
I have asthma and work in a school. I ge it every year. My dh and kids don't normally ge it but they are all getting it this year. If you are healthy you can get the sho to protect people who cannot get the shot.

Flamingo Restored by Dan Murphy
Tiggeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:45 PM   #54
superme80
DIS Veteran

No flu shots in my house. Thankfully the longest we have been sick is a week long flu bug with a 3 week cold. It wasn't fun, but we all survived. I stay home, so if we get sick we just don't go out.
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 1 year old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #55
Fly4free
DIS Veteran

I get a flu shot every year because I work with the public and share phones with co-workers. The shots have worked well for me!

My DD also gets a flu shot due to her asthma. DS does not get a flu shot. That kid seems to (almost) never get sick except for the year of the swine flu. That swept through the schools like wildfire and both kids contracted it and then of course I did too. The swine flu actually was the start of dd asthma problems. She never had any serious respiratory issues before that. It also seems to take a full year for her lungs to recover, even though they didn't fully. Not taking any chances with her not getting her shot.
Fly4free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:31 AM   #56
justhat
DC DISer
pick one night and stay up later for Wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
well, i was at the doctor last week for sinusitis, and he tried to get me to take the flumist. i refused. i've had the flu ONCE in my life, about 12 years ago, and there's a history of adverse reactions to the flu vaccine in my family.

i have asthma, and i SHOULD get the flu shot, i know, but, considering the way my sinuses have been draining (constantly gushing down my throat for almost 2 weeks) and the # of times i have to blow my nose in an hour (a LOT), i didn't figure it would be very effective, if i ended up blowing or sneezing it out.

since i've started substitute teaching on my off days, i might have to break down and get it this year, and pray i don't have a reaction, like all the other women in my family.
Regarding flumist, I don't think it is approved for asthma patients. At least, I have asthma and I have never been eligible for it. My older 2 kids get it without issue though.

We all get flu shots each year and will this year as well. I would have already gone but I am pregnant and want to know if the new, smaller needle shot is safe and if my kids getting the mist is okay for me. I see my
OB Monday so figured we'd just do the shots after then.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #57
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhat View Post
Regarding flumist, I don't think it is approved for asthma patients. At least, I have asthma and I have never been eligible for it. My older 2 kids get it without issue though.

We all get flu shots each year and will this year as well. I would have already gone but I am pregnant and want to know if the new, smaller needle shot is safe and if my kids getting the mist is okay for me. I see my
OB Monday so figured we'd just do the shots after then.
Flumist is NOT approved for asthma patients because it is different type of vaccine than the injected flu vaccine. It stinks because the Flumist vaccine is safe for eggs allergic patients because of the way it's made (no egg protein) but its not safe for asthma patients ( and there are no exceptions to that). So I still have to get the one that is "technically" not safe for me b/c of my egg allergy.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:48 AM   #58
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Didn't get the shot for years, had some occasional bouts with the flu. Then, about 13 years ago, I got two different strains of influenza within a couple months of each other. The first one wasn't awful, I missed a few days of work, laid on the sofa and slept a lot.

The second strain was horrendous. I was so weak I'd have to take a two hour nap after taking a 5 minute shower. I was out of work for 2 weeks, and lost 20 pounds, and after about a week of the flu, I developed a secondary bacterial respiratory infection (not uncommon with the flu). I'm surprised I didn't end up in the hospital. Probably because I lived alone and just didn't have the strength to go to the doctor more than once, so she didn't see how sick I really got. I was weak for about a month after I finally recovered.

I haven't missed a flu shot since then and I never will. I never, ever want to be that sick again. I've never had a bad reaction to a flu shot, and I haven't had the flu since I started getting the shot.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:57 AM   #59
Bungle
DIS Veteran

We do now. H1N1 hit our house hard. My oldest had it and bounced back after a few days but my youngest ended up in the ER. We were ready for feeling like crap and the puking and the other great stuff. What we were not prepared for was the fever hovering between 105 and 106 that wouldn't break, or the fact that I had to watch my child fight to breathe. For us now it is not optional.

Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #60
mamamary
DIS Veteran

I don't get the flu shot and as far as i can remember I've never had the flu. My DH doesn't get it either but i have my kids get it.

me dh ds (17) dd (15) and Baxter (my 8 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

mamamary is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: