Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #46
GlennI
Mouseketeer

thanks for the info..

Last edited by GlennI; 10-15-2012 at 02:53 PM.
GlennI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #47
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennI View Post
how strict do they enforce the 250lb weight limit???
Disney's limits are always strictly enforced. If someone is over 250 lb, they won't be able to ride these; that's the manufacturer's specifications, not Disney's. Last thing they (and the rider!) want is to either break the (expensive) Segway or break the riders!!
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #48
bellaally
DIS Veteran

I am actually thinking of doing this tour with my husband. It sounds cool and cheap with our visa discount. I mean breakfast, pin and a 2 hour tour before Epcot wsc opens sounds great!

bellaally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #49
LSU Mom
Earning My Ears

New Segway Tour at Epcot

DH and I (50 somethings) did this tour on Sept 19 at 8:30, the first week of the new tour format. It was fantastic! Early bus from resort was not a problem. Arrived Epcot before 8 am, enter thru turnstile on right marked for character breakfast guests. CM checked out names off of a list and let us in. We took pictures in front of Spaceship Earth and watched as they were filming footage for new website we were told. At guest relations, got nametags and ordered breakfast (choice of full breakfast or continental breakfast and lots of choices of beverages). Tour is maximum of 10 riders with two tour guides. Fitted with helmet and instructions begins. Learned how to get on and off, go forward and stop, and travel uphill, downhill and around cones. Then rode over to The Land for breakfast traveling thru a back door. Breakfast was very good. Restroom break and grabbed fast passes for Soarin. Given headsets to hear the tour guides and climbed back on Segways for tour of World Showcase. Lots of interesting information as we traveled around. Rode around columns, up hills, thru gardens and courtyards. Driving the segway becomes second nature. With no guest allowed in yet, we had the whole park to ourselves. Took a break near the lagoon across from Italy. Here we could film video and take pictures of each other. About the time we reached France, the gates had opened to everyone and the crowds were heading our way. We had to be really careful heading back as the crowds tend to not look where they are going. The entire tour was 3 hours and well worth the $99 price. We would do it again if given the chance. Tour guides were awesome. Can't wait to get our pins in the mail.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #50
west&east
DIS Veteran

DH and I did this tour on Saturday morning. It was a blast!
We stayed at Beach Club and walked over to the IG entrance about 8am. We told the guard that we had an 8:30am Segway tour and he opened the rope for us. We then gave our name to the person working the gate, who found us on the list. We put our tickets through the turnstile and entered Epcot on a a peaceful, beautiful morning. It was such a contrast from the bustle of the night before during the Food and Wine Festival. We took our time walking over to Guest Services and took a few pictures along the way. We checked in right at 8:15. We were shown a laminated lunch menu with the two breakfast choices. We both chose the hot platter and we were given a drink choice as well. (Coffee for DH, Diet Coke for me). We were given name tags and confirmed our addresses for the pins that are still not available.
We were told to meet at 8:25 so we took another quick picture in front of the park with just a few scattered people about.
We were a group of 10. Our first guide, an older gentlman (blocking on his name now), greeted us at guest services. We followed him over to Innoventions where we went into an area to get our helmets and a short orientation to the segway. We then went out to the training area which is next to the Piggy Bank Adventure. Our second guide, Jordan, began assisting us as well. We were given a series of exercises to get used to the segway. I was a bit nervous at first and was coming up on my heels rather than shifting my weight, but within about 5 minutes, I got the hang of it. We had simple exercises of moving forward, turning and staying within the cones. Then going up and down an incline, then weaving in and out of cones. This training part is really quite fun.
We then followed our guide on our segways, out of Innoventions and over to a back entrance to the Land. We parked the segways in a cast member area and entered on the ground floor. We went into Sunshine seasons where breaksfast was hot and ready in a reserved area. We all sat with our own groups. We had about 25 minutes so plenty of time to eat grab Fast Passes for Soarin (return time was 11:30-12:30 which was perfect!), and restroom. Breakfast platter was scrambled eggs, french toast, bacon, sausage, biscuit, and hash browns. Really a lot of food.

We then were given an ear piece which attached to a unit to clip onto your pants. This allowed us to clearly hear our guide. We headed out into World Showcase. There was still a rope up but we were let in to enjoy the first part with no crowds. We stopped off at several countries to learn more about the architecture and design and to have fun on the segways including weaving through columns in Italy, going through the small garden in America, and the bridges in Japan. We had a great photo stop across from Italy too. As we moved further along, the crowds began to pick up a little but our guide did a good job of clearing traffic and everyone was so friendly. We ended up doing the full loop around WS before we finally ended back at Innoventions.

One gentleman had a few hiccups on his segway but it was no big deal. DH and I really loved this tour and highly recommend it. We were told there is an all terrain segway tour at Fort Wilderness and we'll have to look at that for next trip!

My Path Unwinding Blog: Traveling Through Life Disney Style

Twitter: @kksnc

AKL CL January 2009; WL CL December 2009; Beach Club CL Lagoon View December 2010;
Disney Cruise Line Magic Mediterranean Cruise August 2011; Beach Club CL Deluxe December 2011; Beach Club Food and Wine Birthday trip October 2012; Beach Club CL January 2013; Disney Fantasy Easter Cruise 2013 Concierge Cat V; Boardwalk Inn Club Level/ Waldorf Astoria June 2013; F& W October 2013; Beach Club CL New Years Eve! Fantasy April 12, 2014; Adventures by Disney: Central Europe! July 2014!!!

Next Up: WDW January 2015, Disney Fantasy (Eastern) April 4, 2015; Disney Dream Double Dip June 26, 2015
west&east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #51
Tltorrez
DIS Veteran

Do the CMs take PP pictures for this tour?
Tltorrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #52
west&east
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tltorrez View Post
Yes, they were wonderful about taking pictures during the picture stop.

AKL CL January 2009; WL CL December 2009; Beach Club CL Lagoon View December 2010;
Disney Cruise Line Magic Mediterranean Cruise August 2011; Beach Club CL Deluxe December 2011; Beach Club Food and Wine Birthday trip October 2012; Beach Club CL January 2013; Disney Fantasy Easter Cruise 2013 Concierge Cat V; Boardwalk Inn Club Level/ Waldorf Astoria June 2013; F& W October 2013; Beach Club CL New Years Eve! Fantasy April 12, 2014; Adventures by Disney: Central Europe! July 2014!!!

Next Up: WDW January 2015, Disney Fantasy (Eastern) April 4, 2015; Disney Dream Double Dip June 26, 2015
Old 10-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #53
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tltorrez View Post
I didn't see them taking PP photos; I don't think they can handle the weight of the cameras. But they're happy to take (multiple) pictures of you with your own camera!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #54
west&east
DIS Veteran

Sorry I missed the PhotoPass (PP) part of the question. They don't take PP pics, just using your own camera.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #55
tink&stitchmom
Mouseketeer

Any more opinions on the new tour?
TIA
Old 11-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #56
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Just recently received this:

It's the new Epcot Segway tour pin ! They're in!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #57
mouseketeer_mom
DIS Veteran

A little "bump" as I am hoping to get more reiviews...

I'm thinking of gifting this tour to my parents at Christmas for our February trip. I really think they would enjoy it. My only concern is one of them crashing a segway. They are both 60 and in good shape. What do you think?
Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #58
Tltorrez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseketeer_mom

I'm thinking of gifting this tour to my parents at Christmas for our February trip. I really think they would enjoy it. My only concern is one of them crashing a segway. They are both 60 and in good shape. What do you think?
My inlaws did a Segway tour recently, not at Disney and they loved it. It was easy for them to get the hang of it.

DH and DSis are doing this next week. I'll post back then.
Tltorrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #59
Tiggerrn2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseketeer_mom View Post

They will not have any trouble. There is plenty of practice time in Innoventions before they head you out to the World Showcase. Go to the earliest one for less crowds in the WS.

I received my pin a bit ago as well. Glad I got the old one first. I think I liked that one better.
August 1981 offsite-Kissimmee WDW-Magic Kingdom August 1984 offsite-Celebration WDW-MK and Epcot, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center April 1987 offsite WDW-MK 15 year celebration January 1990 offsite WDW-MGM June 1996 CBR WDW-MK, Epcot and MGM / Universal Studios October 2004 AKL WDW-MK, Epcot, MGM and AK with MNSSHP July 2005 Happiest Celebration on Earth - Disneyland and DCA / San Diego -Sea World and Wild Animal Park October 2006 WL and MNSSHP. July 2007 Disneyland and DCA / San Francisco June 2008 DL and DCA Grand Californian wedding August 2008 Beach Club All Parks April 2009 DL and DCA DD 11th BirthdayOctober2009 POR Food/Wine and MNSSHP Moms Only December 2010-First Holiday Trip July 2011 Disneyland Hotel DL and DCA June 2012 CSR and Poly Sept/Oct 2012 CBR Mom's only with MNSSHP July and Aug 2013 POP to Beach Club with the boys then Girls Only at A of A to AKL
Check out My Beach Club Trip Report - loads of pixhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=98667
TR from 2012 "How Could You?" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009569.
New TR in progress-The "How Could You" Rides Again - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3172306
Tiggerrn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:39 AM   #60
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I did this tour last month. I've done several Segway tours, all of the Disney ones plus some in other locations.

Disney's are very tame as they regulate the Segway speed. Tours elsewhere are more fun if you are looking strictly for Segway experience.

I went this time with 2 friends; both took nasty spills on them. I felt so awful because I think they are easy to ride and convinced them to do the tour.

I preferred the old tour without the breakfast. Still, a few hours on a Segway is hard to beat.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: