Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #31
M&Mwish
Mouseketeer

How hard is it to get on and off the Segway? I'm not too worried about
riding/driving it, but very concerned about not falling when starting and stopping.

Michele
M&Mwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #32
LauraK
Mouseketeer

It's very easy, don't worry! Disney does a great job teaching and making sure you are comfortable getting on and riding. What works best for me is looking straight ahead and stepping on (don't look down at your feet).

We did a Segway tour in Copenhagen and basically stepping on was the extent of training then we rode all over the crowded streets over bumps, grass etc.. You'll be fine

1996 - Honeymoon at Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge
1997 - Dixie Landings
1998 - Polynesian
1998 - Dixie Landings
1999 - Wilderness Lodge
2001 - All Star Sports
2002 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
2003 - Polynesian
2005 - Wilderness Lodge
2006 - 10th Anniversary Wilderness Lodge
2008 - Coronado Springs and Polynesian
2009 - Pop Century
2009 - Port Orleans Riverside

LauraK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #33
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraK View Post
It's very easy, don't worry! Disney does a great job teaching and making sure you are comfortable getting on and riding. What works best for me is looking straight ahead and stepping on (don't look down at your feet).

We did a Segway tour in Copenhagen and basically stepping on was the extent of training then we rode all over the crowded streets over bumps, grass etc.. You'll be fine
Yep, I'd agree - getting on and off the Segway was the least of the worries I had! I kept running over cones when I turned. lol! But Lamont would hold the Segway at first until you felt comfortable getting on and off by yourself. I would do it again, of course!
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #34
MCazer
Unofficial Travel Agent to My Friends! Photo of me on a Bahamas Shark Dive!

My mom and I did the tour yesterday. We entered by the World Showcase and did the 8:30am tour. They will not let you enter there before 8:00am, so don't book the earlier tour unless you want to take transportation to the front of the park.

I am 48, and my mo is 76. We both did great, no falling, at all.

Actually, only one person fell, and that was during training.

We ordered our breakfast before training, then rode them over to the back of the Land and ate. We then got fast passes to Soarin! And then we rode all over the World Showcase. Took pictures and did some free riding too!

at the end, we also got the old pin and they took our addresses to send us the new pin.

It was the best day! So much fun! I would do it again in a heartbeat, and so would my mom. They said they only had one older rider before my mom, and she was 81! LOL

Getting on and off was easy, and moving around became second nature. You can move and reposition your feet when they get tired in one spot, so don't feel that you have to keep them still. The Segway really responds so well, you will love it!

~ I make Personalized Autograph Books and Luggage Tags~

DVC 1997 ~ OKW ~ 16 Years!August 25-31, 2013
November 18-22, 1013 (Mom & Me)
MCazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #35
west&east
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCazer View Post
We ordered our breakfast before training, then rode them over to the back of the Land and ate. We then got fast passes to Soarin! And then we rode all over the World Showcase. Took pictures and did some free riding too!
Thanks so much for sharing your experience! Was psyched to hear about the Soarin fast passes. Was the return window after the tour since they are now enforcing that?

Was the breakfast as described by the other review?

My Path Unwinding Blog: Traveling Through Life Disney Style

Twitter: @kksnc

AKL CL January 2009; WL CL December 2009; Beach Club CL Lagoon View December 2010;
Disney Cruise Line Magic Mediterranean Cruise August 2011; Beach Club CL Deluxe December 2011; Beach Club Food and Wine Birthday trip October 2012; Beach Club CL January 2013; Disney Fantasy Easter Cruise 2013 Concierge Cat V; Boardwalk Inn Club Level/ Waldorf Astoria June 2013; F& W October 2013; Beach Club CL New Years Eve! Fantasy April 12, 2014

Next Up: Adventures by Disney: Central Europe! July 2014!!! Disney Fantasy (Eastern) April 4, 2015
west&east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #36
LauraK
Mouseketeer

We did the 8:30 tour yesterday, you had two choices for breakfast:

Continental: choice of cinnamon roll or crescent and fruit as well as a soft drink

Hot: scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, biscuit and soft drink

No one told us about fast passes, we just went and got them on our way to the bathroom in the land. They were for 11:10-12:10 and our tour ended at 11:30.

As the previous poster said, they give you the old pin and take your address to send the new one.

Hope that helps!

1996 - Honeymoon at Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge
1997 - Dixie Landings
1998 - Polynesian
1998 - Dixie Landings
1999 - Wilderness Lodge
2001 - All Star Sports
2002 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
2003 - Polynesian
2005 - Wilderness Lodge
2006 - 10th Anniversary Wilderness Lodge
2008 - Coronado Springs and Polynesian
2009 - Pop Century
2009 - Port Orleans Riverside

LauraK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #37
micknme
Mouseketeer

I am really appreciating the reviews for this new tour!!! Thank you so much for those who are taking the time to let us know how it works. Great idea for getting the fastpass for Soarin while over there for breakfast.

Can't wait for October 31st at 8:30
micknme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #38
Anonny
Mouseketeer

If Epcot opens at 9:00 and I sign up for 8:00 Segway tour and I am supposed to meet 15 minutes before the tour stars...
Can I get there on a bus from Pop? What time do buses start running from resorts?
Anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #39
micknme
Mouseketeer

Oh...just thought of a question

Initially I read that the new tour was to be 3 hours.
Now I'm reading that it is 2 3/4 hrs. Then a cm told me it was 2 1/2 hours but I thought at the time that this cm seemed totally unaware of what tour I was even asking about.

Can someone who has taken this tour please let me know how long it lasts? I'm trying to make plans to meet up with someone after the 8:30 tour is over and I don't want them to be waiting for me if the tour is longer than I thought.

TIA!!!

ETA: oops, I just saw that LauraK said the 8:30 tour ended at 11:30. I wonder if this has been the norm so far?
Old 09-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #40
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by micknme View Post
Oh...just thought of a question

Initially I read that the new tour was to be 3 hours.
Now I'm reading that it is 2 3/4 hrs. Then a cm told me it was 2 1/2 hours but I thought at the time that this cm seemed totally unaware of what tour I was even asking about.

Can someone who has taken this tour please let me know how long it lasts? I'm trying to make plans to meet up with someone after the 8:30 tour is over and I don't want them to be waiting for me if the tour is longer than I thought.

TIA!!!

ETA: oops, I just saw that LauraK said the 8:30 tour ended at 11:30. I wonder if this has been the norm so far?
Hi there.

My phone names pictures with the time they were taken. I just went back and looked at a few.

We started the tour promptly at 8:30. We were in Innoventions by 8:40. At 10:47, we were having our free ride in Italy. And at 11:40, I had just left Innoventions and taken a pic of the fountain. So pretty much right at 3 hours for me BUT I was also on the very first tour, so they could have tweaked it.
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:09 AM   #41
micknme
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post
Hi there.

My phone names pictures with the time they were taken. I just went back and looked at a few.

We started the tour promptly at 8:30. We were in Innoventions by 8:40. At 10:47, we were having our free ride in Italy. And at 11:40, I had just left Innoventions and taken a pic of the fountain. So pretty much right at 3 hours for me BUT I was also on the very first tour, so they could have tweaked it.
Thank you for this info! I really appreciate you checking your phone for some really accurate timing. Now I have a good idea for planning what we do after the tour.
Thanks again for helping me out!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #42
Tiggerrn2
DIS Veteran

Just back. We did the 9:30 tour on Oct 2nd. Met at Guest Services at 9:15, walked over to Innoventions, had a helmet fitting, watched a brief movie on how to operate the Segway, Jim talked us through all the controls and what not to do (they don't go backwards), then we headed out to training inside Innoventions. We learned how to get on, then had short sessions on going forward, turning, stopping, and how to get off. Then we had a few lessons on going up and downhill and manuevering around corners and getting through tight doorways. Robert joined us for the training sessions and he was our tour guide for the trip. Once we were all comfortable with that, we rolled off to the Land for breakfast at Seasons. Others have explained breakfast. I got the full breakfast and everything was really good. We were given our headsets after breakfast. We had time for a bathroom break and got fastpasses for Soarin' and then headed out.
Rolled through Future World off to Mexico via the winding paths, on by Norway into China and rolled to the back there and learned some things about their building and colors/customs.On to Germany. In Germany we rolled up and down the hill by the train display and learned facts about that. Had a stop in Italy for photos and a chance to just mess around. On to the American Adventure learning some facts about that building and forced perspective. Learned some facts about the Japan pavilions, rolled through Morocco and had the challenge of fitting through their tight doorways, on by France-more forced perspective facts and then on by UK and Canada (with a few facts about the totem poles and the forced perspectives used there.) After that, we rolled on back into Future World and returned to innoventions to return our helmets and we received our pins there. Still the old pins as other posters have previously stated and they will mail us the new ones. It was a great tour and one I would definitely be willing to do again. And with the Disney Visa, I recieved the 20% discount, so it was $84.35 per person. Not a bad deal with breakfast included.
The earlier tours may be a bit easier due to less crowds in World Showcase (and we did have the Food and Wine tasters out and about making it worse). People will just walk right in front of you when you are on the Segways.And they don't stop on a dime. Sometimes you just have to laugh!
August 1981 offsite-Kissimmee WDW-Magic Kingdom August 1984 offsite-Celebration WDW-MK and Epcot, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center April 1987 offsite WDW-MK 15 year celebration January 1990 offsite WDW-MGM June 1996 CBR WDW-MK, Epcot and MGM / Universal Studios October 2004 AKL WDW-MK, Epcot, MGM and AK with MNSSHP July 2005 Happiest Celebration on Earth - Disneyland and DCA / San Diego -Sea World and Wild Animal Park October 2006 WL and MNSSHP. July 2007 Disneyland and DCA / San Francisco June 2008 DL and DCA Grand Californian wedding August 2008 Beach Club All Parks April 2009 DL and DCA DD 11th BirthdayOctober2009 POR Food/Wine and MNSSHP Moms Only December 2010-First Holiday Trip July 2011 Disneyland Hotel DL and DCA June 2012 CSR and Poly Sept/Oct 2012 CBR Mom's only with MNSSHP July and Aug 2013 POP to Beach Club with the boys then Girls Only at A of A to AKL
Check out My Beach Club Trip Report - loads of pixhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=98667
TR from 2012 "How Could You?" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009569.
New TR in progress-The "How Could You" Rides Again - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3172306
Tiggerrn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #43
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

Just booked December 6th. Can't wait. Thanks for all the reviews.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #44
micknme
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much Tiggerrn2. Great info for the tour. Sounds very interesting. Can't wait until I can write a review too. It's getting close!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #45
M&Mwish
Mouseketeer

So Excited!

I'm so excited!!! Based on great info on this thread I booked the Segway tour for our trip in November. I'm going with my parents and my brother - ages 77, 72, 51 and 49!!!! Should be a hoot!

My husband, son and daughter will be golfing. Glad someone will be there to take pictures, because no one at home will believe it

I'll post on our return - after Thanksgiving.

Thanks, Michele
M&Mwish is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: