Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #16
twocat
DIS Veteran

Location: Tampa Bay area. 80 miles door-to-door to Disney!! Formerly NW Suburban Chicago

If anyone is interested in the development of the Segway, there is a great book, Code Name Ginger, about the invention and marketing process. It may sound dry but it was absolutely fascinating.

http://www.amazon.com/Code-Name-Ging...de+name+ginger

twocat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #17
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

BUMP to see if any of the lucky ducks that have been on this the last couple days can tell us all about it. Here Ducky ducky!
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #18
u2gator
Earning My Ears

Heading over the weekend of September 28th and will be doing the new tour on Sunday the 30th. If no one has posted by then I will come back and let you know how it went. My DW and I have not ever been on the Segway tour before so we have nothing to compare it to.

u2gator
u2gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #19
julirina
Close your mouth, Michael. We are not a codfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2gator View Post
Heading over the weekend of September 28th and will be doing the new tour on Sunday the 30th. If no one has posted by then I will come back and let you know how it went. My DW and I have not ever been on the Segway tour before so we have nothing to compare it to.
Thank you, u2gator! I would love to hear about your tour. Have a great time!

julirina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #20
west&east
DIS Veteran

DH and I are having our first adult only trip to WDW for F&W Festival. We have the segway tour booked for Saturday the 13th at 8:30am. We are staying at BC. Will we be able to get in the WS entrance?

I am looking forward to the first reviews coming in. If anyone sees them posted elsewhere in the boards, please let us know on this thread too.

Thanks!

My Path Unwinding Blog: Traveling Through Life Disney Style

Twitter: @kksnc

AKL CL January 2009; WL CL December 2009; Beach Club CL Lagoon View December 2010;
Disney Cruise Line Magic Mediterranean Cruise August 2011; Beach Club CL Deluxe December 2011; Beach Club Food and Wine Birthday trip October 2012; Beach Club CL January 2013; Disney Fantasy Easter Cruise 2013 Concierge Cat V; Boardwalk Inn Club Level/ Waldorf Astoria June 2013; F& W October 2013; Beach Club CL New Years Eve! Fantasy April 12, 2014; Adventures by Disney: Central Europe! July 2014!!!

Next Up: WDW January 2015, Disney Fantasy (Eastern) April 4, 2015; Disney Dream Double Dip June 26, 2015
west&east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #21
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

I did it last Monday, the very first "new" tour! We were staying at YC and I was able to enter through the IG - I just had to give my name, and the ticket taker had a sheet with names on it. I went to Guest Relations to sign in and was the first person signing in on the first day of the first tour. Two other women entered just behind me!

We did our training with Lamont and our tour with him and Marianne; here are some pics:

Walking over from YC.

I'm going to do a full review on my TR, but here are the highlights:

I had the 8:30 tour. There were 10 of us!

They had us choose our breakfast (either a continental breakfast and croissant or a breakfast platter with eggs, sausage, biscuit, french toast - yum!) and a drink, gave us some water, then gathered us outside. As an aside, I did request a lesser-sodium option on my platter if possible, but they were only able to accomodate that with the eggs - which was fine, I just try to stay as low salt / low sugar as possible (until day three of my trip, at which time I began to inhale dole whips and cotton candy like it was some new religion). I was the only person to request a special order on breakfast. Drinks were soft drinks, coffee, or OJ. Only one person chose the continental breakfast, but there was still plenty on her plate with fresh fruit and a big croissant.

We went over to innoventions, fitted our helmets (not as easy as it sounds!), talked about the Segway, and then went to our Segways to practice.

Had quite a few laughs!

We left on the segway and went to a backstage area on them; the area was behind Sunshine Seasons and Soarin'. We went in through the "secret door" for breakfast.

Left and headed to a steamy-hot world showcase!

Went through the countries, stopping to discuss many of them and doing "precision tests" on the Segway. I will say that the tour took me to places that I might not have otherwise went.

A stop in Italy for pictures and Segway fun. Lamont and Marianne took our personal cameras for pictures, and took several to make sure they came out alright. I had a few that I really liked!

Finally, back to Innoventions. There was a special pin for this tour, but they hadn't come in yet, so they gave us the old "around the world" pin and promised to send us the new one when it arrived. Very unexpected and nice!

I would recommend it - I had a lot of fun! But your feet ARE burning by the end, I found myself lifting them off the Segway to give some relief. That being said, I still toured the parks the rest of the day like usual.

I will say that I almost plowed into an elderly couple, and there was a crash... but I'll leave those details for my TR.

I would rather just go straight to the tour after the training; I had some concerns that all that breakfast food and drink would come back to haunt me while out in the sun on the tour. No one needed an unscheduled stop, but we were all STUFFED.

I would do it again, and will probably schedule another one when I return. The WS was so peaceful and beautiful without all of those people clogging it up. Not to mention the novelty of strolling through WS on these cool motorized vehicles!

Last edited by ZehnJahren; 09-22-2012 at 11:31 PM.
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #22
micknme
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much for your report. I'm scheduled for this tour on October 31st and now I'm even more excited. So happy you enjoyed it!!!
micknme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #23
inkedupmomma
If you live to be a 100, I hope to live to be 100 minus 1 day. So I never have to live without you.

Thank you for posting this! I was just about to ask! Going to surprise my soon to be husband on day if the wedding! Glad to hear I can use our aaa!

Also great review, glad someone posted,looking forward to more reviews! Anyone know the cancelation policy?
inkedupmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #24
supersuperwendy
any happy little thought?

great review!!! I can't wait to try this someday!!!
Now approaching Mickey's Star Traders......DVC Trip Report 2012! <-----Click Here! Commando Club member #118
DVC Members since 2008

supersuperwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #25
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

Can't wait to try this tour. Will be there in early December and hoping to get in on it. Is it only on certain days or every morning?

rlduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #26
KodakFigment
Mouseketeer

Any estimate of how long the actual tour around WS was?

Halfway through the Resort list - but now living only minutes away
KodakFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #27
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlduvall View Post
Can't wait to try this tour. Will be there in early December and hoping to get in on it. Is it only on certain days or every morning?
It was every morning in September, at least, unless there's something special going on - or bad weather. They told me that in case of inclement weather, they would refund half the cost, since the first half was all indoors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodakFigment View Post
Any estimate of how long the actual tour around WS was?
It was at least an hour - probably more like an hour fifteen plus. I know we left FW around 10-ish, and WS was open and filling up by the time we got all the way around to Canada.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #28
LauraK
Mouseketeer

I'll be doing this tour this coming Saturday. Do they ask you about breakfast on the day of the tour or when you booked it?

1996 - Honeymoon at Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge
1997 - Dixie Landings
1998 - Polynesian
1998 - Dixie Landings
1999 - Wilderness Lodge
2001 - All Star Sports
2002 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
2003 - Polynesian
2005 - Wilderness Lodge
2006 - 10th Anniversary Wilderness Lodge
2008 - Coronado Springs and Polynesian
2009 - Pop Century
2009 - Port Orleans Riverside

LauraK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #29
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraK View Post
I'll be doing this tour this coming Saturday. Do they ask you about breakfast on the day of the tour or when you booked it?
Morning of. They got our orders when we checked in.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #30
Tiggerrn2
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the review! Can't wait til next week when I will get to try this for myself.
August 1981 offsite-Kissimmee WDW-Magic Kingdom August 1984 offsite-Celebration WDW-MK and Epcot, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center April 1987 offsite WDW-MK 15 year celebration January 1990 offsite WDW-MGM June 1996 CBR WDW-MK, Epcot and MGM / Universal Studios October 2004 AKL WDW-MK, Epcot, MGM and AK with MNSSHP July 2005 Happiest Celebration on Earth - Disneyland and DCA / San Diego -Sea World and Wild Animal Park October 2006 WL and MNSSHP. July 2007 Disneyland and DCA / San Francisco June 2008 DL and DCA Grand Californian wedding August 2008 Beach Club All Parks April 2009 DL and DCA DD 11th BirthdayOctober2009 POR Food/Wine and MNSSHP Moms Only December 2010-First Holiday Trip July 2011 Disneyland Hotel DL and DCA June 2012 CSR and Poly Sept/Oct 2012 CBR Mom's only with MNSSHP July and Aug 2013 POP to Beach Club with the boys then Girls Only at A of A to AKL
Check out My Beach Club Trip Report - loads of pixhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=98667
TR from 2012 "How Could You?" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009569.
New TR in progress-The "How Could You" Rides Again - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3172306
Tiggerrn2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: