Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #16
madmumof2
DIS Veteran

I don't think so, look at her previous posts, seems genuine to me. Troll posts are normally more 'shock factor' too

Oct 2012 - 2 weeks Southern Dunes+1 night at the Hard Rock Hotel!
Oct 2009 - 2 weeks Pop Century
Jan 2000 - 2 weeks Ramada Inn International Drive
Oct/Nov 1995 - 5 weeks Lindfields Villa, Kissimmee
madmumof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #17
kevin harrison
DIS Veteran

The DDP is too restrictive and that is exactly what Disney want. In an ideal world they would rather you never left the site. Who in their right mind really wants to plan where they are eating for dinner months out for every evening?

Like others say, a car is a real godsend, there are fantastic places to eat outside Disney at far cheaper prices.

We stayed at Disney for one week and outside for another, really made a great contrast. A fortnight of Michael Mouse would drive anybody insane!
kevin harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #18
Stitch's Greatest Fa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin harrison View Post
The DDP is too restrictive and that is exactly what Disney want. In an ideal world they would rather you never left the site. Who in their right mind really wants to plan where they are eating for dinner months out for every evening?

Like others say, a car is a real godsend, there are fantastic places to eat outside Disney at far cheaper prices.

We stayed at Disney for one week and outside for another, really made a great contrast. A fortnight of Michael Mouse would drive anybody insane!
Hehe, whilst I agree entirely about the DDP, you can NEVER have enough mouse lol! I am soooooooo excited to be staying 2 weeks onsite again next year.

1995 1st time - Kissimee Villas 1997 Kissimmee Villas 2002 Kissimmee Villas 2004 - 1st time on site Polynesian Honeymoon 2005 Port Orleans Riverside 2006 Pop Century 2007 POFQ 2008 Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge 2009 Beach Club 2010 AKL/CR/SSR2011 Hilton Parc Soleil2013 Wilderness Lodge 2014 Hilton Parc Soleil
Stitch's Greatest Fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #19
madmumof2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin harrison View Post
Who in their right mind really wants to plan where they are eating for dinner months out for every evening?
Obviously a lot of people, you only have to read a couple of threads on this very forum to know that.

Oct 2012 - 2 weeks Southern Dunes+1 night at the Hard Rock Hotel!
Oct 2009 - 2 weeks Pop Century
Jan 2000 - 2 weeks Ramada Inn International Drive
Oct/Nov 1995 - 5 weeks Lindfields Villa, Kissimmee
madmumof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #20
Boo :)
Oh, so they have the Internet on computers now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch's Greatest Fa View Post
Er guys, are we sure Boo isn't a troll.....87 posts and the quote "I can honestly say I won't ever go to WDW again!" how many people have you ever met that have ever said that.

Apologies to all if you are a genuine poster Boo x
Wow, I write an honest review and because I say I won't be going to WDW you think I'm a troll. Talk about being blinded by the mouse, everything isn't fantastic in Disney. I've been there around 8 times, 2 weeks a time, and this time we realised that for the money you pay etc there are other places we could be going. If an honest post is going to be presumed a troll I think I've had enough of this forum.

To answer other questions, the busy days we stayed away from the EMH. We moved from park to park on one of the days and they were both as bad as each other. The flags were at half mast and we were trying to work out whether we in the middle of a holiday or something.

As for doing too much I don't think we did. The only day we actually collapsed into bed was our day at universal. We did 8 till 8 and we were shattered. Other days we were pretty relaxed.

Thanks for the replies to my post anyway guys, but I think this will be the last on this forum. Best wishes.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #21
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo :) View Post
Wow, I write an honest review and because I say I won't be going to WDW you think I'm a troll. Talk about being blinded by the mouse, everything isn't fantastic in Disney. I've been there around 8 times, 2 weeks a time, and this time we realised that for the money you pay etc there are other places we could be going. If an honest post is going to be presumed a troll I think I've had enough of this forum.

To answer other questions, the busy days we stayed away from the EMH. We moved from park to park on one of the days and they were both as bad as each other. The flags were at half mast and we were trying to work out whether we in the middle of a holiday or something.

As for doing too much I don't think we did. The only day we actually collapsed into bed was our day at universal. We did 8 till 8 and we were shattered. Other days we were pretty relaxed.

Thanks for the replies to my post anyway guys, but I think this will be the last on this forum. Best wishes.
Sorry you feel this way but its a public forum where everyone has a right to their opinion, I have been on these boards a lot of years now and its probably the first time I have read someone say they will never return, certainly not something you read very often on here.
Stitch did put "Apologies to all if you are a genuine poster Boo x"
Maybe Disney (WDW) is not for you or posting on these forums but I hope you change your mind and do both again.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #22
Maleficent53
Have fun storming the castle...

Quote:

Sorry you are offended by some of the comments - not everyone thinks the worst of your posts.

Could you have been at the parks on September 11? That would be a reason for flags to be lowered, but not sure why the crowds would have been so heavy.

As far as food costs, yes it is expensive to eat at Disney, just like any other venue. (At our state fair, you can drop $100 in a day "snacking".) We are not big on eating huge meals at sit down restaurants, and we do not use the dining plan. I dislike pre-planning where we will be, where we will eat, etc. months in advance. We eat a good breakfast at our hotel and eat an afternoon meal at the park. We avoid meal-time crowds at lunch/dinner. In previous years we have had a car and used it occasionally to eat offsite. But really, don't think the savings on meals is worth it to pay the cost of a vehicle.

We have spent 2 weeks at WDW and enjoyed it, but typically we stay 7-10 days and find that works best for us. I like to go more often rather than staying more days. I realize flying in from UK will be more expensive and thus a longer stay makes more sense for you, so perhaps having a car for a few days during the trip would give you some flexibility and options for different experiences. Over the years we have enjoyed seeing the "other" places around Orlando - Gaterland Zoo is still one of my DS27 favorite places

1979-1983-1988-1989-1992-1993-1995-1996-1997-1998-1999-2000---and at least once every year since!
Maleficent53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #23
1nfrequent
Earning My Ears

I know I've only got a few posts here so make of that what you will, but in defence of the OP, I think it's totally possible to overdo Disney.

I went to DW back in 2010, spent 6 nights there and found it all a bit samey towards the end, which is part of the reason why I left it 2 years before deciding to do DL this year to see how it differed. But one of the good things about Disney is that it does change every few years with new rides and experiences, which is why I've booked to go back to WDW in January 2013.

Basically, I think that even if you're an absolute Disney nut it's possible to have too much of a good thing and for me (speaking entirely personally), I have a better time when I break it up with other theme parks and experiences. But that's just me - everyone knows how best to have a good time for themselves - but I think it would be sad if we were critical of each other for being honest.

I also agree that Disney is expensive for food. There are ways of means of getting around that (e.g. for me I think it's best to do a big breakfast or lunch and then snack during the day) but I think you do need to budget if you're planning on eating on site.

Hope no one's offended by that and I also hope Boo comes back.

1F
1nfrequent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #24
floridaforever
Earning My Ears

I think that Florida just has everything (if you don't mind longhaul flights) Villas, hotels, apartments and motels, different theme parks and different ways to experience them, good shopping, excellent food choices, beaches to rival the carribean and a common language. The trick is finding what suits you best....and everybody is different.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #25
Stitch's Greatest Fa
DIS Veteran

Look, I honestly didn't mean to offend anyone and as Wayne pointed out, I did put an apology, but I guess I am just a huuuuge Disney nut, yes it's expensive but I love it too much and I could never have enough of it - 2 weeks straight at WL next summer for us!

1995 1st time - Kissimee Villas 1997 Kissimmee Villas 2002 Kissimmee Villas 2004 - 1st time on site Polynesian Honeymoon 2005 Port Orleans Riverside 2006 Pop Century 2007 POFQ 2008 Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge 2009 Beach Club 2010 AKL/CR/SSR2011 Hilton Parc Soleil2013 Wilderness Lodge 2014 Hilton Parc Soleil
Stitch's Greatest Fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #26
Portugal1000
DIS Veteran

I definitely agree about the price of the food. The restaurant prices are crazy. I know they probably do this to make the people on the dining plan think they are getting a better deal but they are surely scaring off others. We didn't do the dining plan this year as the price to stay at SSR was so high that we would have had to eat about $5000 worth of food over the 3 weeks to break even. so when they say free dining, I don't really think it is anymore because the room cost is so much more onsite. Don't get me wrong, I love Disney hotels. We were there from 27th July to 18th August and I was very surprised at how quiet the restaurants where. We asked at guest services one day at Epcot and we could literally have eaten at any restaurant we wanted at anytime. We opted for Rose and Crown which we hadn't done before. We loved it and didn't mind paying a little extra.

Oh and I know I should know this but I have no idea what is meant by a "troll Post". Not heard that expression before.
Dec 08 - All Star Sports, Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World, 21 Nights
August 09 - Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, 17 Nights
Nov 09 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 15 Nights
Dec 10 - Quality Suites,Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Homewood Suites, 18 Nights
August 2011 - Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, 19 Nights
July 2012 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 21 Nights - Hard Rock Hotel, 1 Night
July 2013 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 22 Nights - Universal Royal Pacific Hotel, 1 Night
August 2014 - Tradewinds Resort, 4 Nights - Universal Royal Pacific, 1 Night - Wyndham Bonnet Creek 18 Nights
Portugal1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #27
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:

I think it's partly what you're used to and partly what your expectations are. We are here now and I have never seen such low crowds - ever! And we've been 5 times. Having said that, I have also learned that after Labor Day the MNSSHP parties start and that has an enormous impact on MK. We were there on Friday the 7th and the park was DEAD! Everything was pretty much walk on, even at midday and this posed an enormous challenge to us: I had to learn how to tour NOT using FP. Having done this and done the other extreme of Easter weekend I have to say it is a lot easier for me to get more out of a trip in busy times. I doubt we will come back at this time of the year again - just too quiet. So to sum it up, a lot of it boils down to personal preference.

I'm pleased you had a good first 10 days though Hang onto those memories and give yourself time to get over the jet lag and the climate change, etc etc and hopefully, once you have had time to let the dust settle a little, you'll perhaps consider another trip and maybe do it a little differently to suit what you like and what suits you x

[Engaged to the man of my dreams at WDW, Summer 2014
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #28
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nfrequent View Post
I know I've only got a few posts here so make of that what you will, but in defence of the OP, I think it's totally possible to overdo Disney.

I went to DW back in 2010, spent 6 nights there and found it all a bit samey towards the end, which is part of the reason why I left it 2 years before deciding to do DL this year to see how it differed. But one of the good things about Disney is that it does change every few years with new rides and experiences, which is why I've booked to go back to WDW in January 2013.

Basically, I think that even if you're an absolute Disney nut it's possible to have too much of a good thing and for me (speaking entirely personally), I have a better time when I break it up with other theme parks and experiences. But that's just me - everyone knows how best to have a good time for themselves - but I think it would be sad if we were critical of each other for being honest.

I also agree that Disney is expensive for food. There are ways of means of getting around that (e.g. for me I think it's best to do a big breakfast or lunch and then snack during the day) but I think you do need to budget if you're planning on eating on site.

Hope no one's offended by that and I also hope Boo comes back.

1F
Some people "get" Disney and some don't. For some like yourself 6 nights is more than enough but I guess you do the rides and leave, think nothing else of it. For others like ourselves Disney is nothing to do with rides(well just a little) its about where it started, the history, the detail, behind the fascia. We spend upto 10 weeks a year over there and it still isn't long enough, but we can easily spend a day in a park without doing a ride, just looking, talking, photographing, so for us its not possible to overdo Disney but everyone is different, Disney will never be for everyone, my Brother hates the place.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Old 09-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #29
Kath2003
DIS Veteran

I like Disney.
I'm just not prepared to pay their prices.
Universal Orlando has far better parks (IMO) at a fraction of the cost.
Have never even tried onsite at Disney, but may in the future. I have never been particular impressed by Disney food and don't think I could be "captive" on Disney property for more than a day or so.
Kath2003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #30
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath2003 View Post
I like Disney.
I'm just not prepared to pay their prices.
Universal Orlando has far better parks (IMO) at a fraction of the cost.
Have never even tried onsite at Disney, but may in the future. I have never been particular impressed by Disney food and don't think I could be "captive" on Disney property for more than a day or so.
Been Universal AP holders for about 10 consecutive years, just let them expire last month. Had some great visits to both parks but they have lost their appeal to us just now, much preferred them with Jaws, Back to the future, King Kong Maybe we will be back when they devolop the Jaws area but Universal has lost it for us.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: