Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
irishsharon
DIS Veteran

Class gift plus.....

I alredy bought my kids teachers there holiday gifts but I just got a letter that the class parent is collecting $10 for a class gift.....I don't want to seem cheap.....what do you guys do
irishsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

You won't seem cheap. If it's like the group gifts I've received, the teacher won't even know who contributed. And even if she did, she will be happy with whatever you give her.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsharon View Post
I alredy bought my kids teachers there holiday gifts but I just got a letter that the class parent is collecting $10 for a class gift.....I don't want to seem cheap.....what do you guys do
Just say you're sorry, you've already bought a gift.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
donnabc
Mouseketeer

Well, it's a bit late for a lot of us to be sending something like this home. I'd just tell them that you already bought a present and give the teacher what you got ;0)

October 2008.......Pop Century!
December 2005....Shades of Green!
January 2005....Pop Century
donnabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
irishsharon
DIS Veteran

I guess my issue is the gift I got the teacher On black friday I got side tracked and went to the bath and body shop a place I normally never shop. I bought some things and was able to purchase a tote bag filled with various products,it was valued at $100 and cost me $20. I think its a nice gift but wonder how much the teacher will like it and I think she would enjoy a big gift card from the class instead.I don't think I can return the tote and I don't exchange gifts with the adults in my family only the kids.I'm driving myself crazy because I bought something because it was a good deal and maybe not the best gift choice.
irishsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

I get this every year from whoever the room parent for each of my 3 kids. I've participated once. I prefer to buy a gift that's from us.

One of my good friends is a teacher and I know she appreciates every gift and not just gift cards. She would LOVE that set from Bath and Body Works!

June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite
90s: Offsite

I'm addicted to the pixie dust!

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Lizzybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I guess my issue is the gift I got the teacher On black friday I got side tracked and went to the bath and body shop a place I normally never shop. I bought some things and was able to purchase a tote bag filled with various products,it was valued at $100 and cost me $20. I think its a nice gift but wonder how much the teacher will like it and I think she would enjoy a big gift card from the class instead.I don't think I can return the tote and I don't exchange gifts with the adults in my family only the kids.I'm driving myself crazy because I bought something because it was a good deal and maybe not the best gift choice.
I'm sure she'll be grateful for every gift. Look at it this way - she'll get the class gift with or without your $10, it'll just be $10 less without.

So she'll get the products in the bag. Either she'll like it and use it or it might not be her scent or whatever - in which case, she's got a nice gift she can use to give to someone, so you saved her money, heh.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
Maria1985
Mouseketeer

It seems all right.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
mumto3girls
DIS Veteran

I think you the teacher will be happy with whatever you decide to do. I have been in your position where I have already bought a gift and then found out that the room mom is collecting and I have just given the teacher what I had already purchased. The last few years I have been the room mom for my middle child's class and I collect for a group gift because many parents ask me to do so and I am happy to take care of it. I always indicate that it is voluntary and that people who want to do their own thing are welcome to do that as well. I never ask for a specific amount and I never disclose who donated and who did not nor would I tell how much someone gave. I purchase a card from the class and go in at lunch time and have the students sign it whether they sent money in or not so the gift really does come from the class. In my experience about half the class, maybe a few more, participates in the group gift.

I don't know whether that teacher will like your gift or not, but it is certainly a nice gift even if it isn't her specific taste. As someone pointed out, she could definitely pass it on to someone else as I suspect everyone knows someone who would like that gift.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
DisneyCrazyX5
Do you know any cats?
But I can't find the clippie

Quote:
I'm a teacher and I would love this. It is something I would not buy for myself, but would love to receive. I teach a Talented and Gifted class and am thrilled when a student gives me anything - cards, pictures, hugs....you do not need to worry at all.
DisneyCrazyX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #11
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsharon
I'm not a teacher, but I would love to be for this gift! I would love that it is a gift just for me to use & not have to share. I think you picked a winner!!
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #12
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

Just go with the gift you purchased for the teacher. Don't feel obligated to contribute to the group gift in addition to what you already purchased.

If the teacher does not like the scents that are included in the tote bag set, she can exchange them for a scent she loves, so there is no harm in giving it to her!

Me-30: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #13
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumto3girls View Post
The last few years I have been the room mom for my middle child's class and I collect for a group gift because many parents ask me to do so and I am happy to take care of it. I always indicate that it is voluntary and that people who want to do their own thing are welcome to do that as well. I never ask for a specific amount and I never disclose who donated and who did not nor would I tell how much someone gave. I purchase a card from the class and go in at lunch time and have the students sign it whether they sent money in or not so the gift really does come from the class. In my experience about half the class, maybe a few more, participates in the group gift.
I collect for a class gift because the teachers like it and because the parents ask me to do it. Some people do both, some only do their own thing, some only do the class gift, and some probably don't do anything at all. I think anything you do to show appreciation to your child's teacher is great.
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #14
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

I see you are on Long Island, so things probably work the same way they do here. All class parents at our school are mandated to send out a letter twice a year collecting $5 for teacher gifts. Having been a class parent many times, most do chip in. Kids don't sign the actual card, so no name is ever left out. If close to 100%, I will chip in the extra money (we always buy a gc, so the teacher knows how many contributed).

Most also give a gift from their family.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #15
JDX4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
I see you are on Long Island, so things probably work the same way they do here. All class parents at our school are mandated to send out a letter twice a year collecting $5 for teacher gifts. Having been a class parent many times, most do chip in. Kids don't sign the actual card, so no name is ever left out. If close to 100%, I will chip in the extra money (we always buy a gc, so the teacher knows how many contributed).

Most also give a gift from their family.
Wow! It is interesting how each school/ area has its own teacher gift-giving " traditions." That is very different from our experience here in southwestern CT. I have never been asked to chip in for a class gift, yet your school requires that a letter is sent home by the room parent. I have only chipped in to group gifts for sports teams or play directors.

It seems that around here, everyone just buys their own gifts for the teacher if they wish. I guess there must be some that do class gifts, but I've never experienced that. I'd estimate that about half of the students give gifts, probably more than that in the younger grades. It seems to taper off as the students get older.

OP, I am a teacher and I think your gift is lovely. Don't feel pressured to chip in to the gift card. I would look at it as a convenience for the parents who don't feel like shopping, not something mandatory. Give the B&BW gift, and feel confident that it is a great gift.

WDW Summers of 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2011, 2014
Feb. of 2008, 2009
JDX4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: