Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
Mcert01
Mouseketeer

Hurricane Charlie Remembered - Redo - Figured it out!

I ran across some pictures we took of FW in the aftermath of Hurricane Charlie. I thought they might be of interest to some folks. Interestingly enough, the Magic of Disney was more evident both before and after the hurricane than on any other time we visited.

From the Port Orleans to which we were evacuated from FW the morning before Charlie hit. Cast Members were knocking on camper doors at 7:00 a.m. telling everyone to be out by 9:00 a.m. We had fair warning. All week we found notes on our door providing us with an updated status on Charlie and were warned the night before to be prepared to evacuate.

The POR parking lot looked like an RV show! Amazingly enough, we didn't see any damage to any RVs afterward.

There were two very cool things about being at POR. The first, is that we were able to bring food into the room from the RV (all the Disney restaurants closed at 6:00 pm that night). The second, is that our room was situated so that we could stand outside on the walkway and watch the storm because the building jutted out just enough to block the wind. Our youngest daughter isn't pictured. She was in bed under the covers.

We never lost power as all the utilities on property are buried, and Disney gave us 1 day park hoppers for the inconvenience of being evacuated. We still have them!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

My youngest daughter (now a Sophomore in college!) on a downed tree in front of the Brown Derby at HS (then MGM) the day after the storm. Two days later we were back at HS and the tree was gone, the stump was gone, it was sodded over and topiaries were planted. It was if the tree never existed. I joked that Disney Artists were busy removing the tree and painting in the topiaries on all pictures and paintings of HS.

[IMG][/IMG]

The storm was pretty much done by Midnight and all the parks but AK were open the next morning. At AK they wanted to be sure all the animals were OK before opening.

It was 3 days before we were allowed back into FW. The pictures below pretty much tell the story. It is amazing that more damage wasn't done. Keep in mind, this was AFTER the clean up to allow everyone to return to FW.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Hope you enjoyed!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

How nice to remember those days. Disney really takes care of their guest. Loved the pics.
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
YellowXterra
HappyCamper

Wow thanks for the Pix!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
sbnewhampshire1
Mouseketeer

I remember this so well! We were there too. Port Orleans Riverside was wonderful!! Wouldn't want to do this again!! The staff back at Ft Wilderness when we were able to return were exceptional especially when a lot of them had just lost everything!!
sbnewhampshire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
Mcert01
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbnewhampshire1 View Post
I remember this so well! We were there too. Port Orleans Riverside was wonderful!! Wouldn't want to do this again!! The staff back at Ft Wilderness when we were able to return were exceptional especially when a lot of them had just lost everything!!
Maybe we should start an alumini club!

So true about the staff. Driving through Orlando and seeing the devastation was very sobering.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
DznyRulz
I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go . . . to finance our next Disney vacation.

We were there between Charlie and Francis. They did a good job getting it cleaned up and ready for guests to return. The damage we saw looked minimal, nothing compared to your pics.

DznyRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
jcriket
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the pictures, that was gonna be our storm but it changed directions hours before landfall lots of people in our area evacuated to Orlando. Some came home with damaged cars, now I see why. I love the trees around FW, hope that doesn't happen again any time soon.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: