Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Question Which would you cancel?

After crunching the numbers, I've decided I cannot justify spending just over $1,200 on 8 TS. Which would you cancel?

• 'Ohana
  • The Turf Club
  • Saana
  • Rose and Crown
  • 50's Prime Time
  • Boma
  • Via Napoli
  • Kona

'Ohana. I'm leaning towards canceling it because we've been twice plus I'm thinking I'll get my Poly fix with Kona. 'Ohana is kind of a tradition though as we've gone during both our previous trips.

We've also been to Boma and loved it. We'll be at AKV so I'm thinking it'll be impossible to stay away.

I chose The Turf Club because we'll also be at the THV for part of our trip. When we stayed at OKW we were pleasantly surprised by how much we enjoyed Olivia's and I've read The Turf Clib is a hidden gem.

50's just looks like a good time and I'm hoping the fried chicken is half as good as the Plaza Inn's at Disneyland.

Via Napoli because I think we'll need some pizza at some point.

Saana looks amazing and I shouldn't even list it as there's no way I'm canceling it.

Rose and Crown because I love love love English fare. I had 3 English roommates in college and they introduced me to it. My whole family loves fish n chips.

Kona= sticky wings and the sushi bar. My DS is a sushi junkie.

Help!
Not too shabby for a consolation prize: a Disneyland pre-trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3200081
rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

You've got a lot of good reasons for cancelling Ohana. I have one other. I just don't like it. But your reasons are good enough. Ditch that one.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
DisneyDanielle85
Mouseketeer

I think I would have to also go with O'Hana. The only other one on your list I may consider would be 50's prime time. Those would be my two.

I am with you on Rose & Crown. I love love love it. People have told me i'm nuts but my FH is British and when he took me to England i fell in LOVE with Fish and Chips and Sticky Toffee Pudding and what better way to get my British food fix without going to England than going to Disney!

~Danielle~
~A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes~ ~Princess Belle!~ "I only hope we don't forget one thing- It was all started by a mouse" - Walt Disney
DisneyDanielle85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
ready2vacation
Mouseketeer

Another vote for 50's or 'Ohana.
ready2vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
You've got a lot of good reasons for cancelling Ohana. I have one other. I just don't like it. But your reasons are good enough. Ditch that one.

What don't you like about it? Poor service, price, food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDanielle85 View Post
I think I would have to also go with O'Hana. The only other one on your list I may consider would be 50's prime time. Those would be my two.

I am with you on Rose & Crown. I love love love it. People have told me i'm nuts but my FH is British and when he took me to England i fell in LOVE with Fish and Chips and Sticky Toffee Pudding and what better way to get my British food fix without going to England than going to Disney!

Is 50's bad?

I haven't been to Rose and Crown but I'm a mushy peas fanatic. And sausage and mash. Heaven! And the beer, so delicious. The pudding sounds fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2vacation View Post
Another vote for 50's or 'Ohana.

What don't do you like about either? I'm afraid 50's is not going to be worth the hype.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
JimmyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
What don't you like about it? Poor service, price, food?
Yes, yes and yes. Not my style of dining at all. Apps arrive, and then the meats start to come 2 minutes later. Way too rushed. Prefer meat far more rare than one can get from a skewer. To me, you are paying "fine dining" prices for a "feeding at the trough" experience. But lots of people love it, so there is a lid for every pot.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
loricdietzel
Mouseketeer

Via Napoli because even though the pizza may be good, it is not "unique" Disneyworld and you could probably survive 8 days without pizza because of all the other yummy food and then get some when you get back home.
loricdietzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
JimmyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricdietzel View Post
Via Napoli because even though the pizza may be good, it is not "unique" Disneyworld and you could probably survive 8 days without pizza because of all the other yummy food and then get some when you get back home.
But there are actually a lot of places in this country where you can't get a pizza anything like that at Via Napoli. I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that Utah might be one of those places. I've been to many areas where Domino's is considered the best pizza around. I pity those folks, and feel that they would be well served to try something like Via Napoli if given the chance. Not that it is "world class" pizza. But it would be the runaway winner in lots of places around the country.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #9
MistressMerryweather
DIS Veteran

I would axe 50's. The last few times we went it was awful...food, service and atmosphere(cm's were not into it AT ALL). I used to love it, but now I can't bring myself to make another adr to try it again.

Me ~ DH ~ Ds(10) ~ Dd(8) ~ Ds(5) ~ Dd(2) ...our Sept. 2010 DW souvenir ~ SURPRISE little one born Aug. '13

MistressMerryweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #10
AugustDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta
After crunching the numbers, I've decided I cannot justify spending just over $1,200 on 8 TS. Which would you cancel?

[*]'Ohana[*]The Turf Club[*]Saana[*]Rose and Crown[*]50's Prime Time[*]Boma[*]Via Napoli[*]Kona

'Ohana. I'm leaning towards canceling it because we've been twice plus I'm thinking I'll get my Poly fix with Kona. 'Ohana is kind of a tradition though as we've gone during both our previous trips.

We've also been to Boma and loved it. We'll be at AKV so I'm thinking it'll be impossible to stay away.

I chose The Turf Club because we'll also be at the THV for part of our trip. When we stayed at OKW we were pleasantly surprised by how much we enjoyed Olivia's and I've read The Turf Clib is a hidden gem.

50's just looks like a good time and I'm hoping the fried chicken is half as good as the Plaza Inn's at Disneyland.

Via Napoli because I think we'll need some pizza at some point.

Saana looks amazing and I shouldn't even list it as there's no way I'm canceling it.

Rose and Crown because I love love love English fare. I had 3 English roommates in college and they introduced me to it. My whole family loves fish n chips.

Kona= sticky wings and the sushi bar. My DS is a sushi junkie.

Help!
I'd get rid of 50's. The food is only so-so and I'm not a huge fan of "the experience" of it either.

[/link]</a>Melissa: 1992, CBR~1994, PORS~1997, Cont/ASMu~1999, BW/AS~2000, CSR~2001, ASMV~2003, AKL/ASMV~2005, Day trip (off site)
Mike: 1992, PORS~2008, WL
Together: 2011, YC~2012 (October: Honeymoon!) BW
AugustDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:45 AM   #11
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

If you're trying to cut costs I would nix Ohana. 50's is really nothing special but it is rather inexpensive.
WantToGoNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:48 AM   #12
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricdietzel
I'm not sure what "unique" Disney World fare means to you, but the pizza at Via Napoli is nowhere near standard. It's the best pizza we've had all year.

OP, I don't have experience with 'Ohana or '50s, but of your options, those get the most so-so reviews here.

Thanksgiving 1988, Offsite * June 1991, Beach Club * Easter 1995, Dixie Landings * June 1999, All-Star Movies * Easter 2005, Offsite * September 2007, Caribbean Beach * October 2008, Lake Buena Vista Best Western * May 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * October 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * April 2010, Port Orleans French Quarter * May 2012, Port Orleans French Quarter (Read our trip report here!) * October 2013, Wilderness Lodge
Elleshoodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #13
jimmytammy
Swivel, it's a hard habit to break
Not Tammy, just Jimmy
Go, Panthers!!! (oh, nevermind...)

Since you have been to Ohana, I would say that, we love it but its a pricey meal. Turf Club and Sanaa never been too, so no opinion.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #14
2manypets
DIS Veteran

I, personally, don't like Ohanas either. We gave it three tries and it just kept getting worse. Both service and quality of food. It's been five years since we've been so it's most likely changed by now.

HOWEVER...since you like it and it's a tradition for you I would keep it, but would ditch Boma's. The reason being that you've listed two african themed dining locations in the same week. That would be too much for my family.
2manypets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #15
rentayenta

Quote:
Yes, yes and yes. Not my style of dining at all. Apps arrive, and then the meats start to come 2 minutes later. Way too rushed. Prefer meat far more rare than one can get from a skewer. To me, you are paying "fine dining" prices for a "feeding at the trough" experience. But lots of people love it, so there is a lid for every pot.

We also like our meat rare and can't get it rare off the skewer but we've been able to not get it completely overdone if we ask. I'm thinking this is what I'll cancel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricdietzel View Post

Utah doesn't have great pizza. We've got a few places that have decent pizza but nothing great like I've had in NYC.

Quote:
But there are actually a lot of places in this country where you can't get a pizza anything like that at Via Napoli. I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that Utah might be one of those places. I've been to many areas where Domino's is considered the best pizza around. I pity those folks, and feel that they would be well served to try something like Via Napoli if given the chance. Not that it is "world class" pizza. But it would be the runaway winner in lots of places around the country.

This. You're correct, people here battle between Pizza Hut and Papa John's being the best and I don't like either. I prefer a thinner crust and fresh toppings. I've read Via's pizza is really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressMerryweather View Post
I would axe 50's. The last few times we went it was awful...food, service and atmosphere(cm's were not into it AT ALL). I used to love it, but now I can't bring myself to make another adr to try it again.

It sounds like its really seen a decline lately. I'm not reading many good reviews on 50's. It was on our list 3 years ago but we canceled our ADR. I'm wishing we would have tried it back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustDisney View Post
I'd get rid of 50's. The food is only so-so and I'm not a huge fan of "the experience" of it either.

Hmm.....maybe I'll cancel both 'Ohana and 50's. With F&W and the amount of groceries I'm having delivered, we won't starve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToGoNow View Post
If you're trying to cut costs I would nix Ohana. 50's is really nothing special but it is rather inexpensive.

Thank you. I'm not necessarily looking for inexpensive meals, it just looks like a good time, something different, ya know? But it seems as if it could almost be free and not worth it from the bad reviews. Any other ideas? I'd cancel one and change one. Our crew tried Sci Fi in 2007. DD and I missed it due to her acting a little bratty and me keeping my word and staying back at the villa with her for the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elleshoodat View Post
I'm not sure what "unique" Disney World fare means to you, but the pizza at Via Napoli is nowhere near standard. It's the best pizza we've had all year.

OP, I don't have experience with 'Ohana or '50s, but of your options, those get the most so-so reviews here.

Via is staying ON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytammy View Post
Since you have been to Ohana, I would say that, we love it but its a pricey meal. Turf Club and Sanaa never been too, so no opinion.

Saana is staying ON too. I've read nothing but good reviews on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manypets View Post
I, personally, don't like Ohanas either. We gave it three tries and it just kept getting worse. Both service and quality of food. It's been five years since we've been so it's most likely changed by now.

HOWEVER...since you like it and it's a tradition for you I would keep it, but would ditch Boma's. The reason being that you've listed two african themed dining locations in the same week. That would be too much for my family.

Good point on the two Africa themed restaurants. My choice for both of those are that we'll be AKV, love the whole theme of the resort, enjoyed Boma, and DH has been to Africa 3 x over the past several months so I kno he's looking forward to it as well. He rarely voices an opionins when it comes to WDW planning but those are the two he's liking. He also mentioned Jiko but that would be more of a date night thing I think.

Thanks for the replies thus far. I may cancel 'Ohana and 50's. In that case what restaurant would you add to take one of their places. Our trip is 11 nights.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: