Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
jelliott04
DIS Veteran

Tips - best how to?

I have cash set aside and in various envelopes for our upcoming cruise. However I just read that tips are now auto charged to the credit card on file.

What is the best way to handle this? Should I just let it be auto charged, but then go at the end of the cruise with my cash? Having the cash beforehand helps keep the final bill as low as possible. I don't like getting home and having a large credit card bill to contend with.

Thanks.

J
Old 01-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott04 View Post
I have cash set aside and in various envelopes for our upcoming cruise. However I just read that tips are now auto charged to the credit card on file.

What is the best way to handle this? Should I just let it be auto charged, but then go at the end of the cruise with my cash? Having the cash beforehand helps keep the final bill as low as possible. I don't like getting home and having a large credit card bill to contend with.

Thanks.

J
You can put the cash on the account at any time during the cruise. They will just put it as a credit to your account so when the tips are charged, the money is already waiting there.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks.

J
We paid our gratuities before we cruised. We liked not having to worry about it at the end of the cruise. You can go to guest services and have them take the gratuities off and then put cash in the envelopes on the last night OR you can leave them on your bill and just pay that portion of your bill with the cash that you have saved for your tips.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
Yvet
♫ She is a dancing queen ♪ One of the Netherpeople
Has quite a unique FE

You could also go to GS and let them remove the tips from you account.
That way you can still pay the tips in cash.

Upcomming Trip:
WDW: May 9th 2013
DCL: May 18th EBTA

Previous Trips:
ABD: 2011 (Backstage Magic)
DCL: 2008 (Western) - 2009 (PCC1.0) - 2010 (EBTA, MED, PCC2.0) - 2012 (PCC3.0, PCC4.0)
DL, 2000 - 2006 - 2011.
DLRP, 1995 - 1996 - 2002 - 2003 - 2007 - 2008 - 2011 - 2012.
WDW, 1999 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2008 (april/may + dec) - 2009 (april/may + dec) - 2010 (april/may + dec) - 2011 (april/may + dec) - 2012 (June + Dec).
Yvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
jelliott04
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the help.

J
Old 01-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks.

J
This is totally your choice, and will depend on your goals. If your goal is to have as low a bill as possible at the end of the cruise, take your cash to Guest Services at any time and pay it into your account; it will be used to offset charges until it is gone. If you don't like carrying around a bunch of cash, pay off the account before you cruise--call DCL and have your tips charged in advance, then go to your bank and hand them the cash to pay off that charge immediately. No need to carry the cash while on vacation.

You can go to GS and cancel the charged tips and then place cash in the tip envelopes--again, this means that you are dealing with carrying cash around.

The right answer is--whatever works best for you.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
All Things Simba
Can't stop taking photographs!

Smile

Great responses, but there is one thing no one has mentioned here yet...

I believe that after $250 in ship board charges, your credit card on file will get charged. So if you wait to pay your bill in cash you'd be too late and will have charges waiting for you at home.

If you want to pay your tips in cash, just have the tips removed from your account at Guest Services when you board and put the cash in the tip envelopes they give you for the last night.

But my suggestion is this....Either prepay the gratuities before you board as someone has already suggested, or put any cash or gift cards down on your account first and let that get used up before they start to use your credit card.

We have a lot of on board credit so that will get used up before they charge my credit card.
8/99-CSR, 1/02-CBR, 2/04-POP, 8/05-DCL Panama Canal Cruise!, 12/07-AKL & POLY for Christmas, 1/09-POFQ & DCL Eastern w/St. Croix!, 10/09 POFQ WDW for Halloween & DCL Halloween Cruise, 4/13-POP Girls trip to WDW for the Epcot F&G Festival!, 10/13-WDW for Halloween and DCL Eastern for niece's wedding on Castaway Cay! 2/14-1st trip to Disneyland!, 1/15-2nd trip to Disneyland.

All Things Simba is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: