Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #16
Disney_1derland
Enjoys helping to make DISney Magic
The MK is good anytime, day or night

My girls ages 10 & 12 will both have:

$25 disney gift card (from their birthdays)
$25 that we 'gift' them at the beginning of each trip
and additional money earned by doing extras around the house. Right now, dd10 has about $25 beyond that and dd12 has about $7 (guess who isn't motivated by money! )

My 6 year old son will have $25 that we have gifted him and $25 he has earned in 'extras'.

Our policy with them is as follows:
They get their one snack credit (ddp)each day to spend on a snack any way they see fit, their meals (and usually another snack) are covered and we usually buy a family type gift each trip (hats, usually....we love hats for some reason!) Beyond that, the kids must use their spending money for additional snacks/treats and any souvenirs they want.

We don't allow purchasing on day 1 because we find they are so excited they impulse buy and have buyers remorse later on. We have found that it's better for them to see the variety of what is there and save their purchasing for later on.

Three trips running that dd12 has come back with money to spare and dd10 is tapped out. The 6 year old spends all his money in the pirate store and the star wars store in about 12.2 seconds.

Lori

My Disney History
1978-1992 Disneyland Annual Passholder
1993-1996 Life without Disney
1997 The Legacy Lives On! First trip to WDW
1999-Dh's first trip to Disneyland!
2001 First trip with Dh and DD#1-Offsite and Loving It!
2004-Magical Gathering at SOG! DD#2's First Trip!
May 2005 Matalyn's 5th Birthday Trip! Pop Century
August/Sept 2005 Birthday/Newbie Extravaganza-Girls Only! Pop Century
Oct/Nov 2005 Honeymoon We Never Had-Without the Kids, Food and Wine here we come!
2006-2010 WDW Annual Passholder
2011 June Polynesian Extavaganza!
2012 Disneyland, here I come! Solo trip, July 2012
AoA....Just Keep Swimming! Oct 2012
Disney_1derland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #17
codimouse
Over 45 Trips to Disney from San Antonio, Tx!

we have 2 DD's. one 9 and the other is 17.
the 17 year old has a job, her own bank account so she is pretty much in charge of her own $$ and what she purchases. but she is good at her spending.
the 9 year old will go on our trip in november with a $100 disney gift card. she saved over $65 as of right now from chores, money from report cards and change she finds and puts in her jar. we will round it to $100 a few days before our trip.
the 9 year old really doesnt buy souvenirs but "snacks/treats" that we usually do not allow or purchase ourselves so she saves for each trip just to do that herself. Like ice cream, cotton candy, etc.
then she will usually buy a blanket.
codimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #18
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

I would also say about $100 for a child. My 4yr old grandson picked out one set of Disney cars about $40, another car $20, a balloon, and my daughter picked him out a t-shirt and a hat. I bought my daughter and her family Disney gift cards for Birthdays, Halloween, Christmas, Valentines, Easter for Disney vacation 2011. They have asked that I do that again this year for the 2013 disney trip. My daughter took some things from home for him like the light up necklaces etc., that she found alot cheaper than at disney.
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #19
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Jones View Post
Our kids had $100.00 each to spend on our trip. They were 3,6&8 at the time. It was a combination of their own money and what we gave them.
Ditto for DD, 8 yrs old this trip. We'll be there for 6 days. She's great about weighing out her options & figuring our what she'll be happiest with long-term. She may decide to buy 50 little $2 things, or one big ticket item.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #20
tiggger1
I put vicks on my feet
It really cleans my floors and makes them softer!

When we went last time my kids got about $100 total from my parents, my inlaws and my grandmother.

they each bought a hat at south of the boarder ( my dd9's hat broke on the way down)

they both got a stuffed animal at seaworld,
they both got a stuffed animal at DHS ( goofy and perry)
and a few other treats (pins, lanyards and my dd got a halloween shirt, my ds got a pirate treasure box).

we bought them each a autograph book and a pen and they still came home with $$
Old 09-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #21
sabcook
Mouseketeer

We are also in the $100 per child camp. We have a DS (9) and DD (6) and they have been saving their allowance, doing chores and getting Disney gift cards for their b-days and in their Easter baskets, etc. We go for 10 days and on both previous trips that amount has worked out great. We also get them a shirt and when Grandma goes along she usually gets them a stuffed animal as well. They each have their own wallet that I keep for them and they make all the purchses themselves. It is a great learning experience. The only thing we ever vetoed was one of those light up twirly buzz lightyears for $12 outside the HHMR. DS wanted it more because it was there and he was tired and we knew it was a bad idea. He got over it and was happy to have the money for something else later
Old 09-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #22
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran

We usually give each of girls about $50. Not only do they get what they want, but they have some left over for the nextr trip. We have 6 yo triplets.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #23
tadamom
DIS Veteran

We just got back this weekend and my kids DS10 and DD7 both went down with $100 each to spend (savings from chores, b'days & their $1/each a week they get in the mail from their great grandmother) and DS got another $50 from grandparents for his b'day while we were there. DD came back with almost $20 left and DS about $40. We also didn't let them buy on the 1st or 2nd day b/c there is too much to see and try to figure out what they wanted. We were also in the same boat as a pp about the snacks -- if they wanted something other than their 1 snack from the ddp, then they could buy it.
June 2004 - Michael's 1st trip to Disney World -- Old Key West May 2007 - Parker's 1st trip to Disney World -- Pop Century & 4 nights @ SSR Grand Villa October 2009 - Saratoga Springs Resort with the whole fam! October 2010 - All Star Movies --1st family trip with just the 4 of us!!! Awesome!
September 2012 - All Star Sports w/the whole family! B'day trip for Michael!
[COLOR="Lime"]November 2013 - Coronado Springs! B'day trip for Parker![/COLORMarch 2014 - 1 night at Pop Century for SIL's Disney wedding!

tadamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #24
policycobb
DIS Veteran

My daughter, now 7, takes $100 of her own money. I let her decide the amount, within reason. We go for a week. I carry it in her coin purse separate from my money. This way if I loose it I have to cough up the lost amount. If she looses it, she will learn a very sad life lesson. She is very particular on what she spends with her own money and keeps track of how much she has left. The first year we went she went bonkers spending my money and anyone else who would buy her something.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #25
saffsmom
Mouseketeer

my girls (6 & 3) will each have $100
we are there for 7 days...$50 for the first half of week, $50 for second half

my 6 year old will spend every penny of the first $50, be cautious with the second $50 and will insist on spending her "change" on crap at the airport on the way home!

3 yr old has no concept of money. she is as happy with a $1 item as with something expensive. it will be more a matter of wanting to buy something every time big sister does.

i will probably buy them one or two things...most likely clothing or extra snacks as they won't want to spend "their" money on that kind of stuff

MIL and FIL will be with us for part of trip.
they want to buy ears for the girls...and my MIL is a bit of a shopaholic (and can NOT say no to girls) so i am going to have to keep an eye on that!

first visit....surprise! @ CSR 09/30-10/06

saffsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #26
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

my kids usually take about $100 (each) of their own money.

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
fairestoneofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #27
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

We always take gift cards for souvie money as well. Even my husband and I have our own souvenir gift cards. I think $50 is a good starting point. This is what my husband and I "give" our kids. If the kids have additional birthday or chore money they want to spend as well, we will order gift cards for whatever amount they want to add to the $50. They know going that when the gift card money is gone, no more souvenirs. If they choose to blow it all on day one, so be it. It has worked out well, and our kids have become very thoughtful of how they want that money spent. Our kids are: 13, 10 and 6.
oopsiDAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #28
Familyof4lovesDW
DIS Veteran

We bought each kid a $50 Disney gift card to spend how they want. We purchase autograph books for them and one other thing. For DS9 it was the r2d2bucket and for DD7 a pick a pearl.

She had to use her money for the setting. Dd spent all of hers. She has one of those charm necklaces (purchased with her money last trip) , so she got 4 charms, her charm for her pick a pearl and a shirt.

DS got a yeti necklace and sorcerers card booster pack. We actually owe him $25.

They are good about not spending it all at once and not the first day. They know once it is gone..... It's gone!
Old 09-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #29
Mammaz
Mouseketeer

The grandson saved his own money and took $200. He had to go to the bank and take it out of his savings account then buy a Disney gift card. Anything he wanted to buy he had to use his gift card. It was a good lesson for him and he worked hard just to earn the money. We were there12 days and he spent every cent!
Mammaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #30
Ccann
Mouseketeer

As of now my DS3; and DD6 each have a $50.00 gift card! I have a 100 and DH has 200

I plan on doing BBB and the pirate league for them as well as a shirt or hat which ever they choose anything else they must use their gift cards! The first time we went I was a sucker I thought it was a trip in a life time so I didn't say no!

But I planned and booked a trip in Nov. and a cruise in 2013 so I know we won't be spending a lot on toys and etc, we also have the deluxe dinning plan so we should be fine on snacks and food.
Ccann is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: