Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
Bitsmommy
Mouseketeer

Appropriate amount of money for 7 year old...

Let me start by saying my son usually has more money than me. This year we are going to allow him to bring his own spending money to Disney for his "gimmie" purchases. He really doesn't ask for a lot, but may want some things. We will be there for 13 days. What do you all feel is the appropriate amount of money for a 7 year old to take with him to Disney? I just want to see what other people are doing. Thanks!!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
lilouisianagal
Mouseketeer

Have you thought about doing the "Mom bank" concept. Count his money before you leave home and write down the amount (his "starting balance") and leave it at home. Then if he wants something at the park you pay for it from your card/cash and write it down as a "deduction" from his account. It gives him a chance to practice his math, and doesn't risk losing his money. When you get home, he pays you for what he used at Disney. Just an idea!

DisneyLand Hotel 1988 Carribean Beach 1992, 1995, 2006, 2007 , 2009 Dixie Landings 1997, 1999Port Orleans 2002 Off Site: MissionAir 2004 Disney Cruise Line (Honeymoon on the Wonder): May 24-28, 2009 Pop Century 2011 Disney Cruise Line: May 27- June 1, 2012 Coronado Springs Resort 2013
lilouisianagal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
HoosierDaddy71
Mouseketeer

For my 6yo twins, I was thinking $25 each but I am now thinking of going with $50 each. That will be in addition to their savings, $20-30 each.

Next trip - 10/2014 Universal/Beach/MNSSHP
Previous trips:
10/2013 - Silver Lake Resort
10/2012 - CBR
10/2010 - Vacation Villias at FW
11/1999 - Timeshare
7/1987 - Off site
HoosierDaddy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Bitsmommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilouisianagal View Post
Have you thought about doing the "Mom bank" concept. Count his money before you leave home and write down the amount (his "starting balance") and leave it at home. Then if he wants something at the park you pay for it from your card/cash and write it down as a "deduction" from his account. It gives him a chance to practice his math, and doesn't risk losing his money. When you get home, he pays you for what he used at Disney. Just an idea!
That is a good idea, but my concern is that he will spend the money and won't have an idea of how much money he is actually using because he won't physically see it leaving. That and honestly, when we get home, I won't take the money out of his bank. Because, I have said that I will before and never do.

However, I plan on being the "keeper of the funds." It is a "mom bank" in the sense that he has to come to me to make a withdrawal. There is no way that I am going to give my newly 7 year old ANY money over $1-$2 and expect him to keep up with it.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
Bitsmommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy71 View Post
For my 6yo twins, I was thinking $25 each but I am now thinking of going with $50 each. That will be in addition to their savings, $20-30 each.

My husband said he could bring $50 of his own money and we would likely give him an extra $25. I just didn't know if we were giving him too much or not enough. We have been there 3 times, I just never really pay that much attention to what we spend of souvenirs because he never really wants that much stuff. What he does want isn't expensive individually. I should probably pay attention to how much we are spending over the course of an entire trip though!!
Old 09-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
nchulka
it was funny when the creepy guys would follow close to them and then pull their chainsaws

We took a two week trip to Disney over DS's 7th birthday. He had been saving for over 2 years to have his own spending money. By the time we went he had about 150.00. He took his own wallet and carried it in a backpack along with a water bottle, snacks, etc. He was responsible for his own money and he did great. When we would go in a store, he would walk around himself and if he wanted something, he just went up and bought it. Give your DS a chance to prove himself, it really makes them feel confident and capable
Old 09-17-2012, 12:02 AM   #7
TriniandBre
Mouseketeer

I am going to be allowing my two daughters to have $100 each. I have been to Disney at least 7 times and I know that I've spent well over that amount on souvenirs for my two DDs on each trip that they went. I am all about budgeting and want to pass that on to my DDs. I told my DD 5 why buy one item (the Cinderella Castle play set $100) when you can get a lot more things for that amount of money.

Next Trip to the World October 21st 2014
First Disney Cruise October 25th 2014

==========================
2003 – POR Nov...............2010 - OKW/SSR Dec
2005 – POR Sept/Oct........2011 - All Stars Music Dec
2006 - BWV May/June.......2013 - AKV/BWV Dec
2008 - AKV Jul/Aug...........2014 - All Stars Sports Oct
TriniandBre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
Lemurone
Mouseketeer

I plan to give each of my kids $25. I understand that most likely that's just one souvenir for them. We are also doing pressed pennies. I've already picked up clearance Disney and Star Wars shirts for them, stuffed orcas for SeaWorld, space ice cream for KSC, etc. My DD is really good about not wanting everything in sight, but DS is another story...he's one of those where the gift shop is the best part of the museum.
Lemurone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
Ashlander
DIS Veteran

We normally give our kids (10, 9 & 7) $25 gift cards - this year we will give them $50 because we want them to purchase a Christmas present for their siblings.

Me, DH, DS(11), DD(10), DD(8)

Ashlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
Sugar Jones
DIS Veteran

Our kids had $100.00 each to spend on our trip. They were 3,6&8 at the time. It was a combination of their own money and what we gave them.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
marmalade
DIS Veteran

This past trip I budgeted $100 for each kid, my kids are 5 and 7. They each came home with a few things that they really wanted and we only spent around $100 for both. I always over budget because I would rather be safe than sorry.
marmalade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
lucifie
DIS Veteran

We're planning our first trip and I'm still figuring out the details, but my plan is to buy them each a t-shirt and a set of mouse ears, plus potato head parts and a Christmas tree ornament for the family and then give them each maybe $50 to pick out something by themselves. That sounds like a lot of money to me but I know it doesn't go very far in Disney. What worries me is the possibility that they'll find something they "have" to have the first day and spend all their money before they find out what else is out there and then find something they "have" to have even more later.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

Good question. I was wondering the same for my 4 year old!

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing.. The dreams that you dream... Really do come true....

April 2005- Offsite.. My now DH's first time
December 2005- Offsite ( ENGAGED at MK)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-All Star Sport ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012- 1 night @ POFQ
September 2012- 3 nights @ AOA
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2014- Weekend Surprise at Port Orleans Riverside!

October 2013 TR- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3207813
June 2014 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3293489
Marsheliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #14
JJNikaPiot
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsmommy
Let me start by saying my son usually has more money than me. This year we are going to allow him to bring his own spending money to Disney for his "gimmie" purchases. He really doesn't ask for a lot, but may want some things. We will be there for 13 days. What do you all feel is the appropriate amount of money for a 7 year old to take with him to Disney? I just want to see what other people are doing. Thanks!!
We have split the contents of the big change jar between the kids and given them each a pre-paid card with their share. I think that was over $100 each, plus the Easter Bunny put a $25 Disney gift card in their baskets that year. (We hadn't known how much was in the change jar.). It was great because when dd6 wanted her face painted, it was her money to spend.
JJNikaPiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #15
MommyBell08
DIS Veteran

We are doing 50 per child. We're there for ten days. We may go a little over, but hope to stay close we leave on Wedsnesday y'all!

ASMo'04*O.S.'06*POP'07*POP'09*CSR'09*AKV'11(KV)*AK V'12*OKW'12*AKV'14,SSR'14 OHANA

MommyBell08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: