Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #31
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
I just finished the Denver full marathon this past weekend, I thought it was really well run. The expo had quite a bit of free stuff, and the course support was great. They only had GU at two places along the full course, so take your own if that isn't enough for you (I needed a few more than that). They also switched to Gatorade from Cytomax, if that is important to you.

The bands were spaced every mile until mile 12, where the full course split off. The bands were a little more spaced out for 13-26, but still good.

They placed people in 16 starting corrals for Denver, with both full and half runners combined. There seemed to be a pretty good mix of all age groups and abilities. The mix was probably 3/4 half to 1/4 full marathon runners.

Overall, I liked it and wouldn't hesitate to sign up again
I am definitely doing this one next year with friends in Denver. So relived to hear that it was a good race, and so happy that they used Cytomax. I am a big fan of that and Endurox R4. But, only one race has ever had it - the Lincoln Presidential Half Marathon. I am assuming that more people do the Half, so once they are done, the course gets a bit quiet?
Old 09-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #32
hungrygreenhippo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjramsey View Post
I thought the entertainment was excellent, seemed like there was a stage every mile or so. Mostly classic rock cover bands that were excellent. A couple that were playing blues music. Goodie bag was mostly coupons and the like..not much really. Looking at the White Rock route, it looks like part of that route is the same as RNR did.

here is a link to my Garmin data for the RNR course, and I imagine it will be close to the same route. Dallas Half
I'm glad gjramsey is able to tell you more about the course and entertainment at Dallas. This is more a generalization of all RNR races, than Dallas specifically, but as far as the goody bag, there's generally some type of GU product inside. Depending on the location-specific sponsor, I've also gotten a bag of chips or strangely enough a packet of tuna. I saw that someone else posted the Expo in Montreal wasn't that great so it probably depends on the location, but if you have the time to spend at the Expo there are usually some pretty good freebies, especially if you have no shame like me and hit up the same booths a couple of times.
hungrygreenhippo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 12:17 AM   #33
MightyDuck001
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear8 View Post
Thanks for the info! I will probably do the DC one in March.
I'm thinking about doing the DC one--if I had the money on hand right now, I'd probably register for it today, not least of the reasons being I live right by the course so easiest transportation ever! Looking at the course, it's actually some of my regular running route...
MightyDuck001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:57 AM   #34
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Doing the RnR NYC 10k in a few weeks. I've heard some bad stories but Prospect Park should be a beautiful run this time of year and the medal is cute.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #35
JeffW
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert B Puppenstein View Post
I am definitely doing this one next year with friends in Denver. So relived to hear that it was a good race, and so happy that they used Cytomax. I am a big fan of that and Endurox R4. But, only one race has ever had it - the Lincoln Presidential Half Marathon. I am assuming that more people do the Half, so once they are done, the course gets a bit quiet?
Unfortunately, you read that backwards. They went to Gatorade this year. It had been Cytomax in previous years, which I also prefer.

Based on the finishing numbers, it looks like this year's race was 80% half/20% full. Around mile 12, where the two courses split, it felt really strange as the big group I was running with went right to finish the half, and only 4 of us went left for the second half of our run. It felt kind of quiet without all of the extra foot steps. Even with fewer people in the full, the course support and fans cheering people on were great.

After a marathon at 5280 ft., I'm looking forward to trying one out at sea level in Orlando.
JeffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #36
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
Unfortunately, you read that backwards. They went to Gatorade this year. It had been Cytomax in previous years, which I also prefer.

Based on the finishing numbers, it looks like this year's race was 80% half/20% full. Around mile 12, where the two courses split, it felt really strange as the big group I was running with went right to finish the half, and only 4 of us went left for the second half of our run. It felt kind of quiet without all of the extra foot steps. Even with fewer people in the full, the course support and fans cheering people on were great.

After a marathon at 5280 ft., I'm looking forward to trying one out at sea level in Orlando.
Bummer. Thanks for clarifying that. Gatorade seems to be everywhere these days. Glad the course support was still great when all the Half Marathon runners went on their way to the finish line and all the Marathoners had the course to themselves. Orlando will be a vacation after that endurance challenge!
Old 09-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #37
2gr8DisneyKids
DIS Veteran

I just did the inaugural Montreal RnR and it was not that different than the non-RnR Montreal races. The expo was not over the top and the entertainment was very stretched out and rather spotty. All in all I had a great time but was glad it was local for me. After hearing all the great stories I was hoping for more, but took my free beer as a consolation prize. I will run again and be optimistic that it will be better next year.

POLY 1979, POLY 1990, Treehouse 1993, one-day visit 1996, DL OS 2000, CR 2007, CBR 2009, POLY (Princess 1/2) & 3-night DCL 2010, POP 2010, 7-night NYE Eastern DCL 2010, 2011 AKL/POP and BLT/BC and OKW, 2012 POFQ/Vero Beach and AKV, 2013 POP (Goofy Race and a Half) and Vero Beach/CSR, 2014 AoA (Minnie 10K)
2gr8DisneyKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #38
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gr8DisneyKids View Post
I just did the inaugural Montreal RnR and it was not that different than the non-RnR Montreal races. The expo was not over the top and the entertainment was very stretched out and rather spotty. All in all I had a great time but was glad it was local for me. After hearing all the great stories I was hoping for more, but took my free beer as a consolation prize. I will run again and be optimistic that it will be better next year.
Good to know that the non RnR races are similar, thanks! DH and I really enjoyed the route and Montreal itself, so I may look for another race at maybe a different time of year for variety...now that we have our fancy little passport cards we might as well use them!

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend! 2014 OKW for our 20th Anniversary and Wine & Dine Half Marathon
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #39
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

Is anyone looking into getting the unlimited Tour Pass? It seems like a really good deal if you do at least five races. I won't be able to do the Arizona race which I am a bit annoyed with. The Tinkerbell date change has created a lot of issues with it being so close to Marathon weekend, but I really wish it was possible to be in two races the same day! Maybe 2014.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #40
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Unlimited tour pass? Oh dear... Better keep that info. from DH lol. He just signed up for Las Vegas in December with friends. He said it will be just a training run for the Goofy but I told him he can run 13.1 miles at home too ya know.
It's great to read about people's experiences here.

Avenger's 1/2 Marathon!
minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #41
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert B Puppenstein View Post
Is anyone looking into getting the unlimited Tour Pass? It seems like a really good deal if you do at least five races. I won't be able to do the Arizona race which I am a bit annoyed with. The Tinkerbell date change has created a lot of issues with it being so close to Marathon weekend, but I really wish it was possible to be in two races the same day! Maybe 2014.
DH and I have been kicking this around a little. We'd be able to hit quite a few in driving distance from CT...and it looks like they're adding Pittsburgh. I'll have to do a little math, but I think it's also about motivation/commitment...we're thinking you'd have to do 5 to make it a good deal, right? Too bad we couldn't share one, because DH and I generally take turns doing races since we have a DS (8) and a DK9 to arrange care for, and if there are kids races associated with an event DS will do them. We usually only run one, maybe two races a year together (and not truly together - he smokes me!) So, tough call for us...but sooo tempting!

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend! 2014 OKW for our 20th Anniversary and Wine & Dine Half Marathon
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #42
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinU View Post
DH and I have been kicking this around a little. We'd be able to hit quite a few in driving distance from CT...and it looks like they're adding Pittsburgh. I'll have to do a little math, but I think it's also about motivation/commitment...we're thinking you'd have to do 5 to make it a good deal, right? Too bad we couldn't share one, because DH and I generally take turns doing races since we have a DS (8) and a DK9 to arrange care for, and if there are kids races associated with an event DS will do them. We usually only run one, maybe two races a year together (and not truly together - he smokes me!) So, tough call for us...but sooo tempting!
I am really curious if a $10 off code will work on that as well, so it would make it a little cheaper. I definitely admire the planning that parents have to do in order to run these races. It isn't easy and even Disney doesn't seem to have a good plan for those parents that want to run. I think I am going to wait until 2014 because the main RNR race I want to do is Arizona. I would imagine that they will add some other races now that they have acquired other series. It may end up being even more of a value then with even more locations to take advantage of.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #43
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebeth View Post
Unlimited tour pass? Oh dear... Better keep that info. from DH lol. He just signed up for Las Vegas in December with friends. He said it will be just a training run for the Goofy but I told him he can run 13.1 miles at home too ya know.
It's great to read about people's experiences here.
Right now it looks like there is a limited time offer on the Tour Pass that would include Vegas either this year or next year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Tour Pass is based on a calendar year (right?), so to allow Vegas (Dec) to be included is an extra enticement. My question with the pass is...when you have one, can you wait until the last minute to sign up or is it only vaid if you sign up during the initial first phase of registration? We both often don't know our work schedules and can't always commit 1/2 a year in advance.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #44
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal View Post
Right now it looks like there is a limited time offer on the Tour Pass that would include Vegas either this year or next year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Tour Pass is based on a calendar year (right?), so to allow Vegas (Dec) to be included is an extra enticement. My question with the pass is...when you have one, can you wait until the last minute to sign up or is it only vaid if you sign up during the initial first phase of registration? We both often don't know our work schedules and can't always commit 1/2 a year in advance.
I don't know how limited the tour pass is. It seemed to be available the entire part of last year when they offered it for that group of races. You wouldn't be losing anything if you signed up for a race since you don't pay for each race, you pay the flat fee. So, if you aren't sure if you can run one or not, just register for it anyway. Then, if you want, just e-mail them and let them know if you can't attend. You can't sign up anytime you want to, you have to register at least 30 days out from the event as long as there is space. If the race is sold out, you can't register. No last minute signing up. Yes, Vegas is good for this year or next, I suppose because it was such a nightmare last year. If you do Vegas and Arizona, you get that extra special medal. I think the best thing to do would be to register for all the races and if you don't attend them, who cares? You paid the full tour fee, and as long as you run five races (at least in my opinion), you got your money's worth.

I have to wait until 2014 because I must be able to do the Arizona one. This year is Tinkerbell and I really do hope that it won't conflict with Tinkerbell next year.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #45
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

I just did the Savannah Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon and I will say that it is another successful race and great impression of the series for me. Everything was flawless and although the medal isn't that special, Disney still takes the cake with that as far as series goes, it is another one I would highly recommend. Just thought I would share for anyone considering trying this series out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: