Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue View Post
They might have a different licensing than the PP asked about, but as of a few weeks ago they do have some sort of license because it restricts the number of children per caretaker. One night the sandcastle club was not certain if they could keep my kids until they got another person in. There was also some license form hanging on the wall to the left of the check-in computer.

That aside, if they want more than 3 hours out, a sitter through kid's night out will cost less. They will have to provide their kids with their own meals though. Honestly, after doing both we were more excited to use kid's night out again than the club. We got back at 9:30 and our kids were all in bed asleep. They are usually up until at least 10 or so with us on vacation so the next morning was a million times happier!
My friend is aware of KNO and is thinking about using them also, just at a different time. She also wants to use the Kid Clubs, specifically the Neverland Club. I was just wondering if anyone had had any actual experience with a special needs kid.

DS 11 DS 8

jkstewart1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #17
alizesmom
Pumba is my hero but I love Donald

Sorry, but I have to ask. Can they really care for all SN kids or are there limitations? Karen
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #18
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alizesmom View Post
Sorry, but I have to ask. Can they really care for all SN kids or are there limitations? Karen
As SueM indicated, they are required to offer accommodations as may be appropriate. That said, it really depends on the child's needs. A child who requires 1:1 supervision, they will not/cannot accommodate that unless you arrange for that 1:1 person. They will not/cannot give medications, most won't provide special diet outside of some very common allergens though they may allow you to bring food in from the food court. They don't help with personal needs (toileting) or equipment beyond a very basic level (think equivalent to helping a kid put on shoes). The staffing levels at the kids clubs are not designed to provide the level of support that some children need. Basically, if a child is capable of interacting, communicating and participating in group activities (think of daycare or school at home) - then the club can likely accommodate the special needs. It all depends on the child's needs and may need to be determined on a case-by-case basis. A blanket response to "Can they really care for all SN kids" just isn't possible.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #19
CaliKT
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I have been told (as have others) that the Cubs Den at WL is not "set up" to accept certain needs.
Just curious: what certain needs are they not set up for?

My DH used the Neverland Club when he was 6 last year. He has Asperger's syndrome, a high-functioning form of autism. We had no problems at all with the club, although he didn't really need any special treatment other than to be left alone and not forced into activities if he didn't want to participate. I will say that the person who staffed the Club that night was a retired schoolteacher, knew all about Asperger's, and was very helpful and informative. We sent him to the Club with a book. His younger brother, 4, had a great time playing with the kid and participating in the activities. My older son had a fine time; he mostly read his book and watched the movie.

We were thinking of doing the Cubs Den at WL this time, but I'm considering using KNO now after mistysue's rave review. What will the KNO sitters do with your kids? Are they just hanging out in the room that whole time?

CaliKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #20
mistysue
DIS Veteran

KNO will show up with a suitcase full of "age appropriate toys." You could probably request certain types of things as well. They pretty much do just sit around your hotel room but usually kids find that pretty exciting after all the running around.

Since it came up, the sandcastle club did make special food for my son who is allergic to wheat, soy, egg, dairy, shrimp, peanuts, treenuts, sesame and buckwheat. They said it is prepared by chefs in Cape May so they would do it. I don't know where other clubs make food, so it probably varies dramatically by club.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #21
alizesmom
Pumba is my hero but I love Donald

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKT

Just curious: what certain needs are they not set up for?

My DH used the Neverland Club when he was 6 last year. He has Asperger's syndrome, a high-functioning form of autism. We had no problems at all with the club, although he didn't really need any special treatment other than to be left alone and not forced into activities if he didn't want to participate. I will say that the person who staffed the Club that night was a retired schoolteacher, knew all about Asperger's, and was very helpful and informative. We sent him to the Club with a book. His younger brother, 4, had a great time playing with the kid and participating in the activities. My older son had a fine time; he mostly read his book and watched the movie.

We were thinking of doing the Cubs Den at WL this time, but I'm considering using KNO now after mistysue's rave review. What will the KNO sitters do with your kids? Are they just hanging out in the room that whole time?
They wouldn't handle Trachs, feeding tubes, older kids who aren't continent etc
Old 09-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #22
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue View Post
KNO will show up with a suitcase full of "age appropriate toys." You could probably request certain types of things as well. They pretty much do just sit around your hotel room but usually kids find that pretty exciting after all the running around.

Since it came up, the sandcastle club did make special food for my son who is allergic to wheat, soy, egg, dairy, shrimp, peanuts, treenuts, sesame and buckwheat. They said it is prepared by chefs in Cape May so they would do it. I don't know where other clubs make food, so it probably varies dramatically by club.
Suitcase is overstating it a bit. Usually a large tote.

DS 11 DS 8

jkstewart1800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: