Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #31
jackie101
DIS Veteran

We went back once to nap/rest and I found it more exhausting. That was our 1st trip, when at the time our twins were 5, and we had a 7 and 9yr old. Our August trip we came back to shower/rest/watch tv, but no swimming before we headed out for dinner. Then we normally ate and came back to swim. We only had a few late nights in the park. I found it was to exhausting for my kids to swim in the afternoon
jackie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #32
MommytoaSweetie
DIS Veteran

For us, it depends on the park, how many days we'll be in it, and above all else, the moods and behaviors of our family. . We rent a car for WDW (may drive this time), do its not as much of a hassle to leave or come back, but it still is work. If we can make it, stroller naps are best for us. Our last trip (DDs almost 4 and almost 2), we did stroller nap long days followed by shorter days at parks where we already had a full day or that close early (AK) or we're done earlier (DHS). We have gone back for a nap and then out to dinner later in those circumstances. I definitely think flexibility is key to keep everyone having fun in a place that's supposed to be happy fun.

We are so blessed! Trip to WDW in the 80s courtesy of Make-A-Wish, two trips in the 90s thanks to youth group and a band trip, then a trip in 2004 with DH - what started the trend. Another short trip in 2005, a trip to DisneyLand in 2008 with our DD1, another trip to WDW in 2008 with DD1, trip in 2010 with DD1 and DD2, and just another in February 2011 with DD1 and DD2. It's been amazing!

DH, me, and our two beautiful girls (5 and 3)

Our dining report from our February 2011 trip
MommytoaSweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #33
lucifie
DIS Veteran

That's what I'm thinking too. just getting back to the hotel sounds like a hassle and 3 of my kids rarely, if ever nap. Of course that could be different at WDW, but I also don't sleep well during the day and I think it's more likely that on the off chance we managed to get all four kids to nap at the same time, b the time I got a nap they would be awake. Since we'll have shorter park hours in January, I'm leaning more toward getting to bed at (or near) their regular time. I'm sure we'll be able to find a way to get them to rest - monorail, boat, train... We're also going to play most of it by ear. We'll pick a few things each day we want to do and then go from there. I'm most excited about getting DD2's first haircut at the Harmon Barbershop. We have reservations for the first day so we'll be able to check that off the list early.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #34
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

As for riding the monorail with the kids in the stroller - this morning as we boarded the resort monorail at the Contemporary, the CM loading guests told everyone the monorail was rather full and all children had to be removed from the stroller and the stroller folded up.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #35
kohlby
DIS Veteran

We've tried naps/break at hotel and it doesn't work for us. My kids are done naps completely by 3 (Two were done by 2)- and they didn't magically nap at Disney at 3 years old - either back at the room or in the stroller. (I've been with two different 3 year olds different times and a different child at 2.5 years old and it doesn't work for any of them). What works for us is getting there at rope drop and we go-go-go. Then we take it easier in the afternoon - in the park. Then get a surge of energy. And get everyone out when one person acts like it's time. This is sometime between 5-7pm usually. (Though we had an 8 and 9pm on the last trip the day before an off-day). I can't get my kids to nap nor rest. But I can get them enough sleep at night - so we focus on that.

However, time of year makes a difference. We go when it's cooler in the off-season. If we went in August, then we would have to find a way to make a swim break work for us. That's not needed for us in Nov/Dec/Jan.
kohlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #36
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Age of the kids, time of year, and touring "style" all figure into whether mid-day breaks are worthwhile. We normally go in July--even my teens appreciate an afternoon break from the heat and crowds! And with everything open late, we can go bck in for several more hours afterwards.

Thie next trip, we're going in Jan. The crowds will be lighter, it will be cooler, and the park hours will be short. I'm just taking my little two (DD9, DS6), but we won't be planning daily breaks. There may be afternoons when they want to just hang out at pool, but we'll decide that on the fly.

P.S. I never, ever had kids that slept in a stroller. Ever. I'm envious of people who pull this off.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #37
mommy2jack
Mouseketeer

Yep all depends on the family! For my family midday naps would be MORE of a hassle! My kids are use to being on the go and thankfully sleep well in the strollers when tired. If I were to tell my (almost) 4 year old son it was time to LEAVE the park and go take a nap the whining and crying that would follow would be quite epic! Therefore we just put them in the stroller and take a leisurely walk around the park. Last May when we went my son passed out during both the MK afternoon street parade and the HS parade which worked out well because he really doesn't care for parades... but the rides on the other hand he did NOT want to miss! You know your kids best though if they need a quite soft bed for naptime then it may benefit you to leave the parks but if they fall asleep in the stroller than I would just keep going!

mommy2jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: