Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
hardrocker1
Earning My Ears

Have a handicapped person in our party, couple of questions

My MIL is going with us and is going to rent one of those motorized scooters. I read in a WDW book that if you have a handicapped person, that you usually are moved right to the front of the lines for rides. My question is, how do they know she is handicapped? Is there someone at the rides who will be able to direct us? We will have 5 in our party including her, can we all ride with her or does she go to the front of the line alone?

Thanks in advance!

Blessings, Michelle
hardrocker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrocker1 View Post
My MIL is going with us and is going to rent one of those motorized scooters. I read in a WDW book that if you have a handicapped person, that you usually are moved right to the front of the lines for rides. My question is, how do they know she is handicapped? Is there someone at the rides who will be able to direct us? We will have 5 in our party including her, can we all ride with her or does she go to the front of the line alone?

Thanks in advance!

Blessings, Michelle
You will not get moved to the front of the line. You may be directed to an alternate entrance if your MIL's mobility issues make it impossible for her to stand in line, if she cannot transfer easily from her device into the attraction vehicle or if she requires a special ride vehicle that can accommodate her assistance device.

Guest services at any park can provide you with a GAC (guest assistance card) if the above situation applies to her. They will not ask what the nature of her disability is. They will only ask what her specific needs are. The whole family will be able to go with her through the alternate entrances in order to ride with her.

However, you might want to be aware that quite often guests with disabilities wait longer for access to an attraction than those who go through the regular standby lines. A GAC is not a super-FastPass for skipping lines.

For more information on travel at Disney with someone who has a disability, you might want to check the DISabilities forum. Here's a link:
http://www.disboards.com/forumdispla...sprune=30&f=20

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
hardrocker1
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the clarification. She has 2 disabilities, her back, which she can't stand on her feet for long periods and then she has vertigo too which makes her stumble sometimes when she walks, she falls sometimes.

I hope the staff can help us help her get in and out of the rides as well. I'm thinking the coasters and stuff. She is very excited and determined to ride as many rides as she can. She is actually pretty spry for being 72!

Thanks again...Michelle
Old 10-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I hope the staff can help us help her get in and out of the rides as well. I'm thinking the coasters and stuff. She is very excited and determined to ride as many rides as she can. She is actually pretty spry for being 72!

Thanks again...Michelle
You need to go over to the disabilities forum and do some reading. Cast members cannot help guests on and off rides. That will be your family's job.

Last edited by lost*in*cyberspace; 10-18-2012 at 12:31 PM.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

Do check the disabilities board, lots of great advice. My advice is check out the sticky about renting ECV off-site, its not only easier, but cheaper!

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. She has 2 disabilities, her back, which she can't stand on her feet for long periods and then she has vertigo too which makes her stumble sometimes when she walks, she falls sometimes.

Thanks again...Michelle
If she has vertigo I doubt she would be able to handle the roller coasters. That is really not good for her and can make the vertigo worse.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
disykat
DIS Veteran

My first thought as about the vertigo too. Make sure she talks to her doctor first!

I gave up any kind of coaster the first time I had vertigo, so it's hard for me to imagine a vertigo sufferer willingly going on them.

I will go on Pirates of the Carribean, Maelstrom, etc., but even though I base on how I've been feeling at the time.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leajess99 View Post
If she has vertigo I doubt she would be able to handle the roller coasters. That is really not good for her and can make the vertigo worse.
ITA. It's not good for vertigo, but it is also not good for someone with a bad back as well (I speak from experience).

Castmembers are not permitted to assist guests in or out of rides due to liability issues so you guys will have to help her yourselves.

If she is not experienced in riding an ecv, you may want to take her to a local store that has them available to get familiar with them. Many lines in WDW are mainstreamed and she will have to ride it through the line with a crowd coming behind her sometimes. Buzz Lightyear, Finding Nemo, etc., have many turns in the line and for someone that has never ridden one before it can be difficult.

Some lines do have an alternative entrance, but those are mostly the older MK rides. For newer rides and the other parks she needs to be ready to ride through the line, or in some cases transfer to a wheelchair and you will have to push her.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:21 AM   #9
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Blessings, Michelle
What you read in that book is not correct. Most lines are Mainstreamed, which means that the line is accessible. In most cases, someone using an ECV (motorized scooter) or wheelchair waits in the same line as all the other guests.

The only people with disabilities who go to the front of the line are children on Make a Wish or other similar trips. And, not even they go to the front of lines.

For the few lines where there is a different way in for guests using wheelchairs or ECVs, you don't need anything. When there is a different way in, it's because the regular line or boarding area is not accessible. The CMs (Cast Members) will see her ECV and route you to the correct place.
All attractions are wheelchair accessible to the boarding area; some are not ECV accessible, but will have a wheelchair that she can transfer to if she is not able to stand in line. There are very few attractions that have a place to sit while waiting and a Guest Assistance Card will not shorten the distance walked, so if she has problems with walking distances or standing, she needs to use the ECV or a wheelchair in line.

As others already mentioned, you will get a lot more information from the disABILITIES Board.
Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
Post one of that thread is an index to what is in each post.
Post 2 is about ECV and wheelchair rental. One post on the first page lists the 'mobility entrances' (in most cases, the entrance is the regular entrance).
One the second page, there is a list of attractions with warnings - as others posted, the coasters do have warnings for people with back or neck problems. Although they don't specifically say vertigo - that is one condition those same attractions could cause problems for.

As the other posters mentioned, CMs are not allowed to physically help guests on and off rides. So, if she needs help, someone in your group will need to help her.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #10
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

I brought my mom with us a few months back and she has MS. She is not in a wheelchair at home but at WDW, could not do the distances - so we rented a MANUAL wheelchair. Is your MIL familiar with driving a motorized scooter? It was so much easier to be able to walk at our own pace by pushing my mom and also saw many people who could not get the scooters onto the bus or around people very well. It takes practice to be good at driving those well.

As for lines - almost all of the lines for things that she went on we were able to bring her in via the regular line and just wait altogether. We used FP's for other rides to reduce wait times.

One ride where you might be OK since you are 5 is Toy STory Mania. It was one of the only rides where we had to separate (we had a larger group). Mom would take 3 other people through the no-stairs entrance and the rest of us would go through the regular line. Not sure if they'll allow more people in line with her than can fit on one vehicle. So you might want to be prepared to separate here. One person going with your MIL and the rest through the regular line. But they might let you since it's only 5 of you - not sure here.

Mom also wanted to walk some of the time to stretch her legs (and helps with the cramping) so we just made sure to use a FP for those so that she wouldn't have to stand and wait longer than she was able.

Renting manual from offsite was easy and cheap - I recommend it if you're going for more than a day or two.
brymolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
hardrocker1
Earning My Ears

Thanks, I will head over to the Disabilities forum. The book I read was a WDW book that the authors put out every year, can't think of the authors right off, but it was like the number 1 book on Amazon for WDW. Ugh. We just recently found out that 2 more family members are coming with us and one of them is also handicapped, so no one has to post more on this thread, I'm headed to that other board...but thanks for all the advice!

Blessings, Michelle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: