Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
jecskc
DIS Veteran

The Disney Adventures of Scooter Mom-Dining Report-9/7-9/14 (complete)

Intro

Hello fellows DISers and welcome to my new Dining Review !!

This trip came as a result of our RCI timeshare. We had points that were going to expire and we had to “use them or lose them” by the end of September 2012. And even though it is almost impossible to find trade points with DVC, I was able to snag a week from September 7-14 at Wilderness Lodge Villas. I made this reservation several months ago and immediately made ADR’s in preparation for the trip.

I bought tickets to the first MNSSHP and made reservations for DH and the kids to have an archery lesson at Fort Wilderness. As we were counting down the days, DH began to get nervous about money, so I suggested downgrading from the DDP to the QSDP to save almost $500. This seemed to appease him somewhat.

About 42 days before our trip, which was 3 days PAST the time I could cancel, I was home alone while DH took the kids tubing on the river. I was coming down the stairs at our house and as I was descending, the dog was at the front window barking at something and my focus shifted from the stairs and onto whatever was causing the dog to spaz out. And I am not sure exactly what happened, but I fell down the remaining stairs injuring my left ankle very badly. I thought for sure it was broken and I was in a great deal of pain – and ALL by myself unable to walk at the bottom of the stairs – with a spastic dog.

I try to find a phone, crawling through the lower floor of our home searching for one. I couldn’t find one and I notice my ankle is swelling and fast. I crawl back to the fridge and grab an ice pack and begin to make my way back upstairs with an exuberant yellow lab crawling all over me thinking it is play time. I knew there was a phone on my bed and I was able to reach it. Since DH was on the river, it took me an hour to get in touch with him. I called a couple of good friends who offered to come help me, but I decided to wait for DH. I finally got him to answer, and he rushed home to get me to the ER. Xrays confirmed it was not broken and I was sent home with instructions to stay off of it for a couple of days and follow up with an orthopedist if it was still bad after a week.

A week passes and I am still unable to walk, so I follow up with an orthopedist as suggested. He takes x-rays and says it is not broken, but a very bad sprain. I begin physical therapy the following week. After 4 weeks, it does not appear to be healing well and an MRI is scheduled. The following day, the news is handed down. Peroneal tendon subluxation that requires surgery to fix. In layman’s terms it is explained here for those of you interested:

One of the worst case scenarios occurs when you sprain your ankle so badly that you have peroneal tendon subluxation. It is fairly rare, so if you are lucky you may not ever experience it. Most people have never even heard of a peroneal tendon. They run on the outside of your ankle and are held in place behind the outer ankle bone. There are two tendons on each foot, and they are held behind the bone with a muscle called the peroneal retinacula. The tendons are there to stabilize your ankle, and (ironically) to prevent sprains

Subluxation is a fancy word, which basically means you have a partial dislocation. In the case of your peroneals, this occurs when the tendons are no longer held in place, and are able to pop up and over the bone. The subluxation is usually caused by a tear in the peroneal retinacula, as a result of a bad sprain. Unfortunately, the only solution likely to cure this problem is surgery.

I didn’t want to schedule surgery BEFORE our trip. I tried to cancel, but was told we would lose all of the money we had paid, plus our points as well. Even with trip insurance, we still would have lost our points, so I scheduled surgery for September 20, which was the Thursday after we got back. A this time, I can only walk a short distance and it is painful to do so, so to solve my mobility problem we rented a scooter for the duration of our trip.

Thus, making me:

Scooter Mom !!

So that is how the name of this report came about. I was determined to enjoy my trip and the time with my family because when I got back, I was facing a painful surgery and a 3 month recovery period which required me to be on crutches for that length of time.

SO ……. Let me finally get down to introductions and trip details.

When: September 7-14, 2012

Where: Wilderness Lodge Villas – 1 Bedroom

Who: Me, Scooter Mom extraordinaire – 44 year old Irrigation Designer and lover (aka crazy freak) of all things Disney.

DH – my wonderful husband of almost 15 years. In upper management at a local Chemical Company. He pretends to just tolerate my Disney obsession, but I think he has as much fun as we do.

DS - 13 year old thrill seeker, but still a sweet boy (so far)

DD - 9 year old sweetie who loves all things Disney. We celebrated her birthday while we were there. She will be 10 this week.

I hope those of you that choose to read along will stop by and say hello. I just love seeing my DIS friends and meeting new ones !!

Are you ready to roll with me ???? (that is scooter humor – har, har)

Let’s go !!

Last edited by jecskc; 10-24-2012 at 09:51 AM.
jecskc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
jecskc
DIS Veteran

So, like I said in my introduction, DH was worried about money some and I agreed to down grade our DDP to QSDP which saved us almost $500, PLUS we wouldn't need to tip as well. We also saved money buy not ordering drinks as well.

Inspired by a dining review I had read recently, my goal this trip was to not eat one hamburger or one chicken strip and I am happy to say, I accomplished my goal. Now my kids ??? That is pretty much all they ate, but it's vacation, right ??

So here is where we ate:

September 8, 2012

Lunch at Roaring Forks

Dinner at Wolfgang Puck's Express

September 9, 2012

Breakfast at Roaring Forks

Lunch at Casey's

Dinner at Columbia Harbor House

September 10, 2012

Lunch at La Cantina De San Angel

Dinner at Landscape of Flavors

September 11, 2012

Lunch at Captain Cooks

Candy at MNSSHP

September 12, 2012

Lunch at Tangerine Cafe, Somerset and Liberty Inn

Dinner at Roaring Forks

September 13, 2012

Lunch at Yak and Yeti and Restaurantasaurus

Dinner at Roaring Forks

September 14, 2012

Lunch at Fairfax Fare

I see that we ate at Roaring Forks a lot more than I thought. With the exception of breakfast, we - well DH and I - had something different every time. I really tried to go outside the box and try new things this trip. You know, all for the sake of research.

Last edited by jecskc; 10-22-2012 at 07:51 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Breakfast at Roaring Fork! I hope to see some waffles in your reviews. I'm really looking forward to your quick service report, and it looks like you ate at some interesting places.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
Breakfast at Roaring Fork! I hope to see some waffles in your reviews. I'm really looking forward to your quick service report, and it looks like you ate at some interesting places.
We tried to hit some interesting places, but that was hard when it took so much effort to get around. We had planned to eat lunch at Contempo Cafe and have the breakfast buffet at Pepper Market, but Roaring Forks was so close by and it was just too easy to keep going back there.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Sorry to hear about your injury, but you were totally rocking that scooter in your photo! Excited to hear about your dining adventures.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

I'm in! Falling down the stairs due to my dog is one of my biggest fears!

Do you know what time Roaring Forks opened? I want to eat some waffles before ME picks me up but I'm afraid the bus will be too early.

Jill in CO
Old 09-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
Count me in! I hope your trip wasnt too painful for you
It was painful, but I had a good emergency supply of painkillers and DH always had an ice bag ready when we got back from the parks, so we managed it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettegirl View Post
Sorry to hear about your injury, but you were totally rocking that scooter in your photo! Excited to hear about your dining adventures.
Thanks !! It sucked not being able to walk, but I have to say the scooter was fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I'm in! Falling down the stairs due to my dog is one of my biggest fears!

Do you know what time Roaring Forks opened? I want to eat some waffles before ME picks me up but I'm afraid the bus will be too early.

Jill in CO
Hey Jill !!! This is one of my worst fears come to life for me. I already had my right ankle reconstructed in 2006, so injuring the left one - the GOOD one - has been horrible. I haven't been able to walk for two months and I have surgery on Thursday. After that, I will be in a cast for 3 months.

Roaring Forks opened for breakfast at 7 AM. I hope that isn't too late for you.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post

Hey Jill !!! This is one of my worst fears come to life for me. I already had my right ankle reconstructed in 2006, so injuring the left one - the GOOD one - has been horrible. I haven't been able to walk for two months and I have surgery on Thursday. After that, I will be in a cast for 3 months.

Roaring Forks opened for breakfast at 7 AM. I hope that isn't too late for you.
Yuck! for a speedy recovery.

Darn it...was hoping RF would open earlier. I have a 8am flight so I'm figuring that ME will pick up at 5 or 5:30. Oh well, its an excuse to go back!

Jill in CO
Old 09-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
jabead
DIS Veteran

Welcome back to the DIS, Scooter Mom Susan! Can't wait to hear all about your trip. I'm especially interested in all your food at Roaring Forks because I'm thinking about staying at WL for a few days on our next trip. Oh, and how did you like your villa there? Did you by chance take any pics of it?

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran

I'm in!

I've eaten at 98 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (40%)
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #12
nutz2notz
Mouseketeer

Looking forward to your report.
March 2011: OKW First Solo
Janaury 2011: SSR then AKV Kidani
January 2010: Grand Californian
December 2007: SSR
January 2007: SSR
January 1996: Offsite
nutz2notz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabead View Post
Welcome back to the DIS, Scooter Mom Susan! Can't wait to hear all about your trip. I'm especially interested in all your food at Roaring Forks because I'm thinking about staying at WL for a few days on our next trip. Oh, and how did you like your villa there? Did you by chance take any pics of it?
Hey Barb !! I did take pictures, LOTS of pictures. The link to my TR is in my signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Yuck! for a speedy recovery.

Darn it...was hoping RF would open earlier. I have a 8am flight so I'm figuring that ME will pick up at 5 or 5:30. Oh well, its an excuse to go back!

Jill in CO
Always good to have an excuse to go back !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOrdinaryPrincess View Post
I'm in!
So glad you are here !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutz2notz View Post
Looking forward to your report.
Yay !! Thanks for stopping by !!
Old 09-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #14
jecskc
DIS Veteran

September 8, 2012

Lunch at Roaring Forks

The kids ordered what they always order. No surprises there.

Chicken Breast Nuggets (8 pieces) - French Fries or Vegetable Salad $7.89

DH and I decided to split the

Roast Beef and Blue Cheese - with vegetable salad or House-made chips $9.39

This was really outside our box so to speak, but we were both really surprised at how good it was. It was nice blend of savory flavors that we enjoyed. The sandwich was huge, though. I never would have been able to eat the whole thing myself.

For dessert, I had a Mickey Rice Krispie treat. Which I ate later.

The kids had ice cream. They had a self serve station there.

DS put root beer in his to make a float. And DD added the chocolate coins she got in the gift shop to hers.

We were pleased with lunch and bellies full, we set off to explore more of the resort.

Last edited by jecskc; 09-16-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #15
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Roaring Fork has some great things on the menu! That sandwich looks very good, especially if you enjoy blue cheese
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: