Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 02:48 AM   #256
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Hi Karin! I am all caught up and so enjoyed your short trip to Italy. The jewelry you purchased is just beautiful. And I loved all the pics of delicious Italian food!

How exciting that you booked the DLRP trip. I can't wait to read all about it and see the pictures!
I am glad you enjoyed "coming along" to Italy. We really enjoy those short breaks and with a 5 hour drive it is also quite doable for a weekend.

We cannot wait to go to DLRP. Even though it is also just a weekend trip, it will be nice seeing it all again decked out for Christmas.
TR Summer 2014: We're out of it! A MAGICal Med adventure TR 2013: Get off the ship .....
Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:07 AM   #257
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

And now back to our regularly scheduled programme - our trip to Walt Disney World!

But just a little reminder .......

In exactly 3 weeks from now we will be back in Italy.

In exactly 6 weeks from today we will be at Disneyland Paris.
TR Summer 2014: We're out of it! A MAGICal Med adventure TR 2013: Get off the ship .....

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 03:07 AM   #258
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Day 2, August 12

“Aren’t you Karin from the DISboards?” - Part 1

We both were up early that day and decided to finally get out of bed by 5am. Tom made some coffee and we sat out on the patio sipping it.

Then while Tom took a shower I put all the things we would no longer need at the moment into the purple box and packed the fold-up bag we had brought with things we had stored in the box previously.
Once Tom was done, I took a shower, then we packed up all our stuff and and around 7.45 we took our Owner’s Locker box back to luggage services to be taken back to the warehouse, then went back to the room, checked for forgotten items and headed down again to check out of our home for the night. We rolled our luggage over to the rental car desks and got in line.
There were only 3 other people in line ahead of us and in no time it was our turn. We had a prepaid reservation voucher and all we still wanted to buy was a Sunpass so we could use the toll roads on our way to Key West. In the end the employee talked us into buying roadsafe as well, and even though we did not need it this trip it was a reassuring feeling to know that there were no other costs coming our way in case of an emergency. After about 10 minutes we were handed the paperwork, given an isle to look for and told to pick “any colour we liked”.
Woohoo, we got to pick a car, what a change from Hertz that assigns you one. Or so we thought.
Again, we rolled our luggage across the street and over to the Dollar section of the rental cars and there we looked for the section we were told to look for. Well, the section was empty! We had booked a convertible and there was only one in the section opposite, so we took our paperwork and went to ask someone about where to look. We were pointed towards the convertible we had seen before and told it was the only one they had.
Okay, pick any colour – we picked the only silvery convertible there was! And a silvery Mustang Convertible was ours.
Tom opened the trunk and we put our large suitcase in, then tried the big bag we had, no way would it fit. So we took both items out, put the suitcase in and shoved it to one side, then put in the foldable bag, which fit nicely and we were even able to squeeze in the carry ons.
Tom took the top of the car down and put the large bag in the back seat, we fixed our GPS and were soon on our way towards Walt Disney World. Being able to use the Sunpass lane made the drive short and easy and before we knew it we were on Hotel Boulevard and going towards Downtown Disney.
It was just 9am when we drove into the parking lot and easily found a parking space very close to the “Once upon a toy” store. There is only one way to officially start off a vacation and it is by having a meal at Wolfgang Puck’s Express.
So we quickly headed over there, no one in line in front of us and since we already knew what we wanted we didn’t even have to look at the menu board. We ordered, applied the AP discount, took our glasses and filled them with Diet Coke on the way to a nice table, where we placed our number stand on the table. A server came by very quickly and brought out some cutlery and in no time our breakfast arrived. Tom had ordered his favourite,

Wolfgang's Breakfast Pocket, scrambled eggs, peppers, Niman Ranch Bacon, onions, mushrooms, mozzarella and cheddar cheese baked into Wolfgang's pizza dough and I had gone for MY favourite,

the Smoked Bacon Pizza, scrambled eggs, tomatoes, mozzarella and cheddar cheese and Ranch Dressing. It was just the perfect breakfast. We both loved it and did our best to finish our breakfasts. Tom succeeded, I had to give up after three quarters of the pizza.
Once we had finished breakfast, we walked through the “Once upon a Toy” store, then proceeded over to the World of Disney. There were two things I wanted to take a look at. We walked through the other stores, then finally hit the World of Disney, which was blissfully uncrowded.

To be continued ............

Old 10-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #259
monica23535
DIS Veteran

Yay to arriving at WDW!

Your breakfast looks delicious as usual
Polynesian CL, DCL Dream & Beach Club Oct 2012

monica23535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #260
MEK
DIS Veteran

Loved seeing more beautiful mountains on the return drive to Austria!

Yeah for arriving at WDW. You guys were up bright and early. Nice.

The breakfast pizza at WPE looks so yummy. I really need to try one of those. Yum!

So, where to next?

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #261
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica23535 View Post
Yay to arriving at WDW!

Your breakfast looks delicious as usual
Arriving at DTD was fun, but our stay in the area was short.

We love our breakfasts at WPE! Our vacation hasn't started until we had some WPE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Loved seeing more beautiful mountains on the return drive to Austria!

Yeah for arriving at WDW. You guys were up bright and early. Nice.

The breakfast pizza at WPE looks so yummy. I really need to try one of those. Yum!

So, where to next?
The drive from Italy is quite scenic. From flat land through the Alps, to the rolling hills where we live. It doesn't get boring at all.

Getting up the first few days is pretty easy. Our bodies haven't ajusted to the time change then and it feels like it is MUCH later to us. After a few days it gets much harder to get out of bed in the morning.

If you haven't tried WPE for breakfast yet, then you really should. It is really wonderful. And there is even a 10% discount if you have an AP or are DVC.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #262
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Day 2, August 12

“Aren’t you Karin from the DISboards?” - Part 2

We walked through the other stores, then finally hit the World of Disney, which was blissfully uncrowded.
It didn’t take long and I had found what I needed to buy. Two years ago we had seen next year’s calendars in the shops when we arrived and decided to buy before we would leave again. By then they had pulled all the calendars out of the stores and I had to order them online, which was quite a pain. So, ever since when I see a calendar I buy and I had not bought one the day before at the airport.
So here we were, happy to know they had the calendar at the World of Disney too. We strolled through the store checking out all the new items they offered and then went over to the section where they have all the Dooney and Burke bags.
We were just approaching the display behind the register when I heard a voice behind me, asking, “Aren’t you Karin from the DISboards?” We both turned around and there was this young girl coming up to us.
She looked somewhat familiar, but I could not place her at that time, so I told her, that yes, it was me and she told us that we had been on the same cruise and in the same Fish Extender group last summer. Now that rang a bell! She then pointed out that she had been cruising with her mum, who was over there. And then I knew it, she was “Melmar’s” daughter.
We all hugged and chatted and they told us that they were spending their summer vacation at WDW and had driven all the way down from Massachusetts. It was wonderful seeing them again and after a few minutes we found a nice cast member who took our photo,

so we had proof of our meet. It was sad to have to say goodbye again, but they were on their way and we needed to get going too. We had a “quick” look at the Dooneys and then decided to just pick up the two calendars, a Disney CD, since we had forgotten ours and two antenna toppers. Shopping done we headed back to the car

put the topper onto the antenna

and got into the car. Within a few minutes we were waving goodbye to Walt Disney World and on our way to Key Largo.
We drove onto the highway and drove and drove and drove some more. About an hour and a half into our drive we stopped at one of the rest stations to have a snack and were shocked to see how overcrowded it was. There was construction going on and we decided to just pick up a drink and some sweet treats

and headed back to the car. We still had a long way to go and were looking forward to having a late lunch at Miami’s Bubba Gump. All morning we made good progress

until there were signs that the highway would be closed at a certain exit. We didn’t even think much of it and just went on, still looking forward to be in Miami soon and then the traffic got heavier and heavier and then it stopped completely.
We sat and waited, and moved forward a bit and sat and waited and moved forward a bit more.
Time went by and an hour had passed sitting in a traffic jam. There was no end in sight and minutes were ticking away.
After almost two hours we saw what it was all about. The whole highway was closed and every single car had to get off, BUT there was a stop sign at the end of the exit. Now, we could see the light at the end of the tunnel, but in the meantime it had started to rain.
Well, rain might not be the right word. The heaven had opened up and it was pouring. Once we had left the motorway the GPS always directed us back to the highway and had trouble connecting as it was raining so heavily. We first had gotten into the wrong line and drove in the wrong direction. So, after we had turned around we had to play it by ear

and just use overhead signs to find our way towards Miami. It was still raining cats and dogs and thank god, we were driving slow as suddenly a van pulled over into our lane and all Tom could do was hit the break or otherwise the other car would have gone straight into ours.
It took me a while to get over the initial shock and we went on slowly. About 20 minutes later the rain started to become a little lighter and we were finally heading into Miami.
With all the time we had lost we decided to drop the idea of a late lunch and just head on to the keys. We kept driving and once we had reached Miami and had gone past its airport, the skies started to turn blue again

and the sun was shining again and we felt much better instantly. We drove on until suddenly an advertisement grabbed my attention. I told Tom to get off the highway and exit right here and there.

To be continued ............

Old 10-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #263
monica23535
DIS Veteran

Oh I'm dying to know what you saw....
Polynesian CL, DCL Dream & Beach Club Oct 2012

monica23535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #264
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Wow, what a stressful drive so far! I've done the drive from Miami to Key West and Gotham was long enough but add in leaving from MCO and ugh!

Glad to hear that the sun is coming out and love that you put an antenna topper on the rental.

Pretty funny about the choose your car scenario.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #265
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat

We love our breakfasts at WPE! Our vacation hasn't started until we had some WPE.
Wow Karin..I didn't even know wpe had breakfast..such a dining slacker..LOL

Yes the convertible..you can pick any one of the one...hahaha

I'd love to take hubs down to the keys...but the drive...especially after driving from New Jersey..he'd kill me!!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #266
pas130
DIS Veteran

Cant wait to hear what the advertisement was for
Old 10-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #267
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Mmm - the WPE breakfast looks sooooo good.

The drive south sounds awful though! I hope you didn't experience any more delays or scary moments. I am looking forward to hearing about where you stopped!
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #268
HowieHowie
Mouseketeer

Traffic jams and Florida rainstorms are horrible, what a scary moment. Can't wait to hear what caught your attention!
Old 10-07-2012, 03:42 AM   #269
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica23535 View Post
Oh I'm dying to know what you saw....
You will have such a laugh once you find out .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Wow, what a stressful drive so far! I've done the drive from Miami to Key West and Gotham was long enough but add in leaving from MCO and ugh!

Glad to hear that the sun is coming out and love that you put an antenna topper on the rental.

Pretty funny about the choose your car scenario.
We've driven from Miami to Orlando before and it is a long, boring drive. Add in a "nice" traffic jam and a rainstorm and you have a long, boring, horrible drive.
I like the drive from Miami to Key West though, so pretty over all those bridges and thankfully that day we only went to Key Largo.

No one here uses an antenna topper, so whenever we get the chance to do so, we'll do that in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
Wow Karin..I didn't even know wpe had breakfast..such a dining slacker..LOL

Yes the convertible..you can pick any one of the one...hahaha

I'd love to take hubs down to the keys...but the drive...especially after driving from New Jersey..he'd kill me!!
Yes, WPE offers breakfast and it is VERY yummy! We just love it! Not that we would be biased because Wolfgang is Austrian ......

You know, we mostly book Hertz and they asign you a certain car, so we were "jumping with joy" to pick a car ..... then there was only one. Yeah, that was the one we picked.

You would need to fly into Miami and drive from there. The drive along the keys is beautiful. The drive from Orlando to Miami not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
Cant wait to hear what the advertisement was for
It was about nothing special for you Americans, but VERY special to us.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:54 AM   #270
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Mmm - the WPE breakfast looks sooooo good.

The drive south sounds awful though! I hope you didn't experience any more delays or scary moments. I am looking forward to hearing about where you stopped!
It's the drive from Orlando to Miami that is dragging on and very boring. Once you have reached the Keys it is really scenic and nice and I can't actually wait to do it again next year.
The van pulling over was something else. I can't even blame the driver as it was raining so hard you could hardly see anything and sitting in a silvery car in that rain storm didn't help either.
We were VERY happy when the sun came out again and we had left Miami behind us. Bummer we never made it to Bubba Gump though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieHowie View Post
Traffic jams and Florida rainstorms are horrible, what a scary moment. Can't wait to hear what caught your attention!
Since we drive a lot in Florida we have come kind of used to the rainstorms, but the traffic jam was really horrible. And then the driver pulling over .....

You will have a really good laugh once you find out what made us exit the highway.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: