Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #31
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

It's up to you but we would never consider leaving our DD behind. Not for a second. We go twice a year for 10-12 nights each trip and we bring DD with us. Her first trip was when she was 12.5 months then again at 18 months and we are headed back in 34 days (she will be 2 then)! We wouldn't trade those trips for the ones we took before we had her. Yes, it takes some more planning and you do have to give up some things but for us its totally worth it! The memories and pictures are wonderful.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #32
tiffjoy
DIS Veteran

I think this is a really personal choice for every parent. There's no right answer for all, just the right answer for you.

I'm rocking my seven month old to sleep right now, here at Disneyland. (well, we are actually at the hotel right now because it's the middle of the night, but you get the jidea.) our just turned three year old is also with us. She's been coming since her first birthday.

We have more fun with our children then we ever had alone. We also don't care to vacation anywhere without them. But that's just us. Everyone is different.

I do not spend nights away from my babies until they are much older. I do not feel comfortable with it (and nursing complicates things, too). My husband respects my feelings and would never try to talk me into something that I'm not comfortable with doing. Nor would I let him. So, I would go with your feelings, whatever those are. And if you feel like you would be ok leaving your DD with grandparents, then don't feel guilty about that choice. She would be loved and well-cared for, and this is really about your needs/feelings. In the same way, don't feel guilty about not wanting to leave her if you decide you can't.

WDW Trips: First trip January 2004! 1/2005, 1/2006, 2/2006, 1/2007, 12/2010, 1/2013
DLR Trips: First trip January 2006! 9/2007, 8/2010, 9/2011, 9/2012, 4/2013, 12/2013, 8/2014

Upcoming:
WDW January 2015 for 4 days for DD2's 3rd birthday
DLR August 2015 for 5 days for DD5's 6th birthday
tiffjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #33
luvmesometigger
Mouseketeer

Everyone obviously has different opinions on this.

Me? I would never leave my kids behind when I went to Disney.

We took my ODD (who is now 7) when she was 9 months old. No issues at all. She slept in her stroller when she was tired. We went back during the day for everyone to wind down. It is only one week so it was no big deal that she was off her schedule.

JMO

(DH) (ME) (DS 14) (DD 8) (DD 5)
Poly 5/1994, SoG 1/1996, Contemp 8/2004, Pop Century 6/2006, Contemp 12/2010, SoG 4/2012 POR 6/2013 AoA 8/2014

luvmesometigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #34
princessmorgan
DIS Veteran

We've taken all our children while they were babies and we've left them behind, too. I will say my favorite baby age to take them was when they were 8 months, because they could sit up in a high chair and eat some finger foods while DH and I had our meals. Also if they like characters, then it's fun to see their face light up when they meet them. However if they don't like characters, the they'll scream and hold onto you for dear life We took our second youngest at 5 months and she was just not as relaxed as our other babies, so someone always had to hold her in their lap and try to eat with one hand. She never slept in her stroller, so she was tired and cranky even when we tried to take her back to the room for her naps. Also another DD and I got the flu while we were there, but luckily the baby didn't get it.

DH and I have also gone to Disney twice without our children. I cried for a couple of days, because I missed the kids and felt guilty, but the kids could have cared less. They were having a vacation at Nana's house. The last day before we came home, the girls said we could stay another couple of days As long as they are in good hands that you trust, you should not feel guilty for going on a vacation without your child.

This is a personal decision. No one's story or situation will be the same as yours. Every baby is different. Do what you are comfortable with.

www.theadultsideofdisney.com

Aquí se puede encontrar mis blog posts acerca de Disney en español- www.theadultsideofdisney.com/en-espanol/
princessmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #35
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

We left our oldest child at home when we went to Disney when we were newly married (DS was about 5 months old). It was the best choice at the time for our family and our marriage - we needed to reconnect because those first few months are incredibly hard.

Don't let anyone make you feel guilty, if that's what you choose to do! I wouldn't trade my son's first trip (at age 7) for anything in the world and I'm glad we waited at the time. I could never use the babysitter services provided (I don't care how many references and background checks they have), so it was the right decision for us at the time.

From reading your post, it sounds like you need some alone time and have a busy schedule - if it was me, I would leave the baby at home with grandparents and enjoy your vacation. It's not like you'll be leaving an older child at home, who would know where you were and what he was missing.

My parents left me at home when I was 3 and they took my older sisters (who were 15 and 9 at the time) to WDW - trust me, I'm not traumatized by the experience.

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #36
jillianjigs7
DVC Member

I could never leave DD home to go on a vacation - especially to Disney. We've taken her (she's now 2.5) 6 times and her first being at 4 months. It's so easy to travel with a baby and you still can have a lot of fun.

jillianjigs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #37
Ashley Marie
Mouseketeer

Last edited by Ashley Marie; 02-04-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Ashley Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #38
Habbott
Mouseketeer

This is obviously a personal choice. I couldn't imagine not taking my little guy to Disney. As of this point in his life (he's 2), he has not been left overnight. But, we're also in a different place in our lives (together for almost 8 years before our son was born), and we have taken plenty of vacations on our own. In your situation, I might be thinking it like you are.

We're taking my parents along on our trip so that my husband and I can have a few nights out. I'm looking forward to that.
Habbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #39
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Go for it! I left all of my babies at home with the grandparents at one time or another. Never WDW, but on our annual trips to Hershey, the rule was that only potty trained kids were allowed to come along. This will probably be the last time ever you can go to WDW without kids for a long time.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #40
bellaally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Marie
These replies have all been useful. It got the two of us discussing it more (I told him about the post and read a lot of the replies to him) -- thank you.

We only had the chance to take one vacation together before she was born, and we're kind of thinking that once she's a little older we'd feel a lot worse about leaving her at home for a vacation... so now may be the one right time to vacation together as just a couple again. And we do really need the time to reconnect. Right now, life is all about baby & work (and the baby part is wonderful and not a complaint at all! But with our day-to-day schedule, we devote all our non-working time to her, and find it hard to find any any time focusing on "us," which is also really important).

Plus... I think he might be thinking of proposing on this trip, which might be another reason why he really wants it to be just us.

I'll really miss her if we go without her -- but I'm now leaning toward having her grandma come stay with her at our house (so she's got the comfort of being at home) while we take the trip. And calling every day and teaching my mom to use Skype so we can video chat while we're gone, too. And if that's what happens, we'll start taking her on vacation the next time we go.
Like I said we are in the same boat, I still think about what's gonna happen everyday, I have three months left to our first solo vacation. I feel like there is time you spend with your children and then time you spend with your husband, or BF. Then there is you time which I think are all equally important to be happy and have healthy relationships. Have fun do everything that you guys want to do, we planning on getting on all major rides that we know when we come back with the boys we won't be able to do, also we are eating at some fancier places this time. My husband gets three weeks of vacation a year. We decided starting with this trip that one of this 3 vacation will be something just me and him. We will enjoy the kids for the rest of the 51 weeks of the year lol.

bellaally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #41
TheWabbit
Earning My Ears

From a male perspective: I would never leave my young kids behind. On our first trip to WDW, we took our 11 month daughter #1 and son, then 3. We just got back and we took our son, 5, our daughter #1, now 2, and daughter #2, 6 months. Bringing a baby requires planning (my wife is good at that) but it can be done and everyone will have a great time. You can ride whatever you want with a baby swap pass (fast pass without the limits). You just won't ride at the same time. Both daughter got a lot of attention from the characters and the cast members. Baby wraps are an excellent way to carry the child when not in the stroller.
TheWabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #42
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to add another person to the "your baby will be fine home with her grandma while you enjoy your trip" camp. We have taken our children to WDW several times and we have gone to WDW without them several times as well, and we are all just fine!. I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with going on an adults only trip and just because you choose to go to WDW, does not make it different than any other vacation you might choose to take.
jimandami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #43
mrsap
Disney World '86, '04, '05, '06, '10, '12, '13, stb '14

I personally would never go on vacation without my kids - Especially to Disney! I can't imagine being able to have fun without them. Your child can go on most of the rides. I think it will be fun but ultimately it's your decision.

mrsap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #44
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

That is a tough decision. She is after all only 8.5 months old. She won't remember you guys leaving her with loved ones and frankly to be good parents you have to nuture your relationship too. I think hearing that your partner wants to spend the week with you alone would be enough of a decision to leave your daughter with someone who you fully trust, so you can enjoy yourselves.

Disney will forever be there.

GL mama!

I've been BOO'ed by GoofyinToronto!
pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #45
Aggiegrl
DIS Veteran

If you feel comfortable with it, go without the baby and have the time of your life.

We took my older DS earlier this year and left our 5 month old twins at home with their two grandmothers. Family time is important to us, but relationships within the family are JUST AS IMPORTANT (this includes couples).

We are away from our kids overnight quite a few times a year. I think of it two ways: 1) It gives us time to be reconnect and relax. 2) It gives my children quality with their grandparents. I hope as they get older they will cherish this time and understand how special it is to have a loving, caring extended family like ours.

Would I go to WDW without my 3 year old now? No, because he knows what Disney is and loves it. Babies are different though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: