Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #16
flicx
Please stand clear of the doors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
The point here is that the larger group may actually think that they are being generous as opposed to being obnoxious. When they see all the tables around them leaving $15-$20 per table for their servers, they might think that leaving $20 puts them on the high end of the scale. Perfectly logical if the diner is looking at this from a "per table" perspective. But if the server has to pay taxes on a "per head" basis, the $20 doesn't go very far. Hence the automatic tip. Automatic tips make perfect sense, as most people have no clue about the tax ramifications.
Come on Jimmy we all know most servers only report a small amount of their cash tips.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #17
Tanyabeth8
Mouseketeer

I always tip at least 20% at table service restaurants inside and outside of Disney (for decent service). I don't like the idea of a mandatory tip though because the absolute worst service I ever received at Disney restaurants was back when the tip was included in the Dining Plan (not every server, but most). I think it was because they knew they were guaranteed a tip.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #18
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2of2 View Post
As a server in a TS WDW restaurant I am obviously not happy with this latest decision and hope that our union gets it overturned quickly.

1) Not sure if it will happen.
2) The union already agreed to it.
3) After all, Addendum B1 dictates the 18% rule for six people.
4) So, the trial is in violation of the contract.
5) Thus, the Company and Union have already agreed to the trial.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

I spoke to our union rep Jeremy yesterday and he gave me a copy of the contract and the email he sent in regards to the change. He told me they are fighting this. Policy cant be changed mid contract.

There was a meeting this morning though so I dont know the outcome
Old 09-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #20
allerobed
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1
Many times an infant leaves a huge mess that the parents do not clean up. Not sure why they don't but they don't. So an infant can mean more work for the staff.
I'm a waitress and the other day I served two ladies and a baby about 12-15 months old. Everything is going great when the baby gagged on a piece of bread and spit/threw up on the floor in front of her highchair and I'm assuming on herself. I saw it happen and brought the mother a bunch of napkins. She used them to clean the baby and put the dirty ones on the table and went back to eating and chatting with her friend ignoring the puke on the floor. I certainly didnt want to touch the vomit napkins and most definitely wasnt cleaning up the stuff on the floor, so I brought a plastic bag and more napkins and politely said "Here's a garbage bag so you can put the napkins in and more napkins to clean the rest". She looked at me with a blank stare and had no idea I expected her to clean up after her baby. Her friend seemed uncomfortable during it all because it dawned on her that the mother was just going to leave it so she wound up cleaning it.

I dont mind cleaning a random Cheerio or two that got away, but its so incredibly disrespectful when parents leave a big mess on the floor.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #21
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by allerobed View Post
I'm a waitress and the other day I served two ladies and a baby about 12-15 months old. Everything is going great when the baby gagged on a piece of bread and spit/threw up on the floor in front of her highchair and I'm assuming on herself. I saw it happen and brought the mother a bunch of napkins. She used them to clean the baby and put the dirty ones on the table and went back to eating and chatting with her friend ignoring the puke on the floor. I certainly didnt want to touch the vomit napkins and most definitely wasnt cleaning up the stuff on the floor, so I brought a plastic bag and more napkins and politely said "Here's a garbage bag so you can put the napkins in and more napkins to clean the rest". She looked at me with a blank stare and had no idea I expected her to clean up after her baby. Her friend seemed uncomfortable during it all because it dawned on her that the mother was just going to leave it so she wound up cleaning it.

I dont mind cleaning a random Cheerio or two that got away, but its so incredibly disrespectful when parents leave a big mess on the floor.
I agree. I can't understand why the staff is expected to clean vomit. The person or family should be the ones who take care of that. A month or so ago I saw someone vomit in the line to Maelstrom. The group just left it there without asking for cleaning materials to clean it up.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #22
allerobed
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1

I agree. I can't understand why the staff is expected to clean vomit. The person or family should be the ones who take care of that. A month or so ago I saw someone vomit in the line to Maelstrom. The group just left it there without asking for cleaning materials to clean it up.
Nasty! People are so rude, they should have at least attempted to clean it.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #23
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2of2 View Post
I spoke to our union rep Jeremy yesterday and he gave me a copy of the contract and the email he sent in regards to the change. He told me they are fighting this. Policy cant be changed mid contract.

There was a meeting this morning though so I dont know the outcome

1) Thanks.
2) Good to know they are fighting it.
3) I think it would be detrimental to the servers.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #24
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

As a former server I'd hate this unless I worked at Disney. Some kids are slobs and some parents don't care. And some people think 10% is acceptable. People who generally tip more will continue to do so. I rarely tip under 20%, even for horrible service. A mandatory 18% won't bother me. The servers are simply the messengers of whatever decisions corporate makes.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Old 09-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #25
reiella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOhio View Post
Yup, waiting on a table with a baby not eating is much harder than a table of adults. Poor servers
And the baby isn't ordering a plate either, so the cash total is less. However, I understand the perspective, and I imagine it's mostly to ease the conflicts the managers may have crop up from infant triggering mandatory tip.

Largely, leave it to see how the trial goes, and how it actually impacts the workers. And in terms of impacting the CBA, well, Stewards get to enjoy that fun mess, yick.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #26
lillykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by allerobed View Post
Nasty! People are so rude, they should have at least attempted to clean it.
Not sure what disney's policy is. DD#1 (then 2) got the stomach flu the last night of our last trip. We got to the front of the line about to be assigned a boat at IASM and DD vomited. Before I could offer to clean up or say anything. The cast member said take her out this way so you can clean her up and ushered us out. I asked if I could stay and help and was told no they take care of it.

I couldn't imagine going to a restaurant and not cleaning up after my child if they got sick. Not happened yet but I wouldn't want to make anyone else do that.
May 2013 POR Princess Trip! May 2010 POLY DD#2's 1st birthdaySept 2008 POLY - DD#1's 1st tripApril 2004 - AKL honeymoonJanuary 2002 at AKL
Old 09-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #27
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by art 1 View Post
many times an infant leaves a huge mess that the parents do not clean up. Not sure why they don't but they don't. So an infant can mean more work for the staff.
ita
Old 09-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #28
BGK
Mouseketeer

I wish mandatory gratuities were universal. There are two local hotel restaurants, admittedly higher end, where I got regularly though not frequently. Both add a 20% "service charge," i.e. gratuity. Both have outstanding service and I've never felt the tips were out-of-line.

As for the counter-argument that it takes away a server's incentive, that's the manager's problem. If you're allowing a server to give consistently poor service, you're permanently damaging your restaurant's reputation. As for guests reluctant to complain, again, as a manager you're falling down. A manager and his or her assistants need to be working the room constantly to ensure diners have a good experience. A location at WDW gives no exception to this.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #29
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

I'm always happy to give a tip when the serve has done a good job. If they do an amazing job, I'll tip more. I hate tipping when the service is bad, especially when it's the servers fault (they were rude ect)

It is very different from Australia. Here, if you're over 21, wait staff get $22 an hour so tipping is not expected at all. We still tip when they've done a good job and more if they've been great.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Old 09-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #30
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony

DISboards Moderator

Please see the tipping sticky. Read the first post for guidelines
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: