Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is the decision to allow beer and wine at BoG for dinner a good one?
Yes. But it should be limited to BoG at dinner with strict per person limits. 27 15.25%
Yes. And they should expand to all TS restaurants during dinner with the same restrictions. 53 29.94%
Yes. And they should make alcohol as available in the MK as it is in DHS and AK, but not Epcot. 43 24.29%
No. It isn't what Walt wanted, and isn't traditional. 34 19.21%
No. Regardless What Walt wanted, allowing this will lead to acohol being all over the park. 20 11.30%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

The UNBIASED Beer and Wine in the MK POLL

Is the decision to allow beer and wine at BoG during dinner a good one?
Old 09-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Very good poll! Better than mine, I think.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Sorry. I din't see yours. Didn't mean to step on you.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Magpie

Nah, it's okay! Mine's all about feelings. Your is far more practical.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

I'm all for it since the world is going to end anyway. j/k I don't quite think it is the end of the world as we know it....as some folks on the 'net seem to think.

Jill in CO
Old 09-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
deakam
DIS Veteran

I think this is a mistake. On our last trip I actually witness stupid drunk parents dragging crying kids around Epcot and Hollywood Studios....Walt did not want this and Walt would not do this...Add alcohol to the heat and over tired kids and you get idiots...If you want to have a drink do it after the kids are asleep at the resort.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Good idea. Those who drink, can....and those that don't want to, don't have to.

This thread describes life in Utah.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Old 09-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
Tanyabeth8
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakam
I think this is a mistake. On our last trip I actually witness stupid drunk parents dragging crying kids around Epcot and Hollywood Studios....Walt did not want this and Walt would not do this...Add alcohol to the heat and over tired kids and you get idiots...If you want to have a drink do it after the kids are asleep at the resort.
It's been my experience that there are also lots of annoying idiot SOBER parents dragging screaming tired crying kids around because the parents don't want to miss out on EMH.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
Tanyabeth8
Mouseketeer

And I don't think anyone on this site knows what Walt would have wanted so you sound like an idiot claiming to know what a man who died long before I was even born whom I'm sure you did not know personally would want.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanyabeth8 View Post
And I don't think anyone on this site knows what Walt would have wanted so you sound like an idiot claiming to know what a man who died long before I was even born whom I'm sure you did not know personally would want.
I respect your opinion, but I don't think that people saying "Walt wouldn't want it" sound like idiots.

This is a quote from Walt Disney pertaining to Disneyland:

"No liquor, no beer, nothing. Because that brings in a rowdy element. That brings people that we don't want and I feel they don't need it. I feel when I go down to the park I don't need a drink. I work around that place all day and I don't have one. After I come out of a heavy day at the studio sometimes I want a drink to relax."

I don't think it's too far of a stretch to say that he might have felt that way about all the parks. He may have felt differently about the atmosphere at BoG and the selections offered, but it is public knowledge that he did not want alcohol offered in the parks when he was developing them.

I'm not trying to champion this view point--I'm not overly passionate about either side of the issue. But, I think that people who are upset have a valid reason for being disappointed.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
gwmort
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMomTo2 View Post
I respect your opinion, but I don't think that people saying "Walt wouldn't want it" sound like idiots.

"No liquor, no beer, nothing. Because that brings in a rowdy element. That brings people that we don't want and I feel they don't need it. I feel when I go down to the park I don't need a drink. I work around that place all day and I don't have one. After I come out of a heavy day at the studio sometimes I want a drink to relax."

I don't think it's too far of a stretch to say that he might have felt that way about all the parks. He may have felt differently about the atmosphere at BoG and the selections offered, but it is public knowledge that he did not want alcohol offered in the parks when he was developing them.

I'm not trying to champion this view point--I'm not overly passionate about either side of the issue. But, I think that people who are upset have a valid reason for being disappointed.
I think you're missing the key element of the quote, its not the alcohol he was against, it was the riff raff. People spending big bucks at a fancy french restaurant aren't the ones he was worried about. If Casey's started selling beers with the hot dogs I think you would have a point.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #12
Magpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMomTo2 View Post

A sane and balanced response! What are you doing on the Dis?

Anyway, I agree that this is quite possibly comparing apples and oranges. French wines and beers being offered to complement the French dining at the BOG is hardly likely to bring in the riff-raff, so that pretty much negates Walt's argument against alcohol in the park.

Were there any "fancy" restaurants in either of the Magic Kingdom parks when they first opened?
Old 09-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #13
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
I think you're missing the key element of the quote, its not the alcohol he was against, it was the riff raff. People spending big bucks at a fancy french restaurant aren't the ones he was worried about. If Casey's started selling beers with the hot dogs I think you would have a point.
I get what you are saying, and that's why we can't know for sure how he would have responded to this. However, he did say "No liquor, no beer, NOTHING" (emphasis mine), and looking at the context of the entire interview, you can see that he wanted Disneyland to be a place of innocence. Grown-ups have plenty of opportunities to drink--he wanted the park to be free from that. He could have had any fine quality beverage he wanted, but he specifically stated that he did that away from the park.

And while it is true that plenty of sober people act like riff-raff in many situations, to say that people won't drink too much because it is a fancy restaurant is certainly idealistic. People who have been drinking are more likely to participate in behaviors that they wouldn't if they were sober, whether it's cheap or expensive beer doesn't really matter.

Again, I don't have strong opinions either way, but I can see the point of those who feel strongly that Walt wouldn't want it. They may not have known him personally, but they are basing their opinions on his own statements.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
A sane and balanced response! What are you doing on the Dis?

Anyway, I agree that this is quite possibly comparing apples and oranges. French wines and beers being offered to complement the French dining at the BOG is hardly likely to bring in the riff-raff, so that pretty much negates Walt's argument against alcohol in the park.

Were there any "fancy" restaurants in either of the Magic Kingdom parks when they first opened?
Thanks for calling me sane and balanced. I'll have to share that with my husband. He'll get a kick out of that!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #15
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

I thinks it's fine to offer wine and beer and even some cocktails at the restaurants in MK.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: