Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
3littlecuties
Mouseketeer

Should we get the DDP?

I'm sure this is asked a million times and I know I could try to calculate it out. With our situation, tell me your gut opinion.

1) 2 adults, 3 kids (6, 4, and 2)
2) staying 7 nights but only will have 6 days (arriving very late on arrival day and leaving after breakfast on departure day)
3) We only have 3 TS meals planned...Chef Mickey's for dinner one day, Teppan Edo for lunch one day, Cape May for breakfast on departure day). All others meals we plan to do CS.
4) Planning two days at Epcot where we plan to "graze" on F&W small portions for dinner both days and eat CS for lunch.

Thoughts?

Last edited by 3littlecuties; 09-15-2012 at 09:05 AM.
3littlecuties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlecuties View Post
I'm sure this is asked a million times and I know I could try to calculate it out. With our situation, tell me your gut opinion.

1) 2 adults, 3 kids (6, 4, and 2)
2) staying 7 nights but only will have 6 days (arriving very late on arrival day and leaving after breakfast on departure day)
3) We only have 3 TS meals planned...Chef Mickey's for dinner one day, Teppan Edo for lunch one day, Cape May for breakfast on departure day). All others meals we plan to do CS.
4) Planning two days at Epcot where we plan to "graze" on F&W small portions for dinner both days and eat CS for lunch.

Thoughts?
I would not do the DP in your situation. Youre only doing 3 TS restaurants....you plan to graze at F&W....and also do the rest CS meals. Youre better off paying OOP. Considering your kids are so young, kids meals are considerably cheap. The 2&4 yr old might even be able to share one kids meals, depending on their appetites. You'd save more money by going OOP for sure.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
I would not do the DP in your situation. Youre only doing 3 TS restaurants....you plan to graze at F&W....and also do the rest CS meals. Youre better off paying OOP. Considering your kids are so young, kids meals are considerably cheap. The 2&4 yr old might even be able to share one kids meals, depending on their appetites. You'd save more money by going OOP for sure.
I agree with this as well. Splitting meals is a very viable option with small children. And splitting desserts for sure, if they will be getting any. The DP forces you to pay for an entire meal per person at every single meal. That is probably not what you need.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
karrit2000
DIS Veteran

You might want to consider the QSDP since you plan to do mostly CS meals if you feel you want a meal plan. Based on past years you should be able to use your snack credits for most of the F & W booth food offerings which could be a savings especially since you can use all the snack credits as they don't differentiate those. Which hotel are you staying at? You can get creative with the desert options at the CS locations at many of the resorts including getting something like a croissant or bagel as your dessert & using it for breakfast the next morning.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
3littlecuties
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrit2000 View Post
You might want to consider the QSDP since you plan to do mostly CS meals if you feel you want a meal plan. Based on past years you should be able to use your snack credits for most of the F & W booth food offerings which could be a savings especially since you can use all the snack credits as they don't differentiate those. Which hotel are you staying at? You can get creative with the desert options at the CS locations at many of the resorts including getting something like a croissant or bagel as your dessert & using it for breakfast the next morning.
Currently we are staying at the Contemporary but are considering switching to Poly.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
3littlecuties
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrit2000 View Post
So if we get the QSDP, would will have to pay the TS meals OOP? Or can we somehow apply CS credits and pay the difference or something like that? Is that even possible?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
loricdietzel
Mouseketeer

I'm a big proponent of the dining plan (especially when it is free) but based on your current plans I would say no. Especially with F&W festival because a lot of those things are snacks and you would quickly run out of dining plan snacks and need to pay OOP for those. The regular dining plan would be a waste because you are not doing table service every day and only have two character meals and then you would have to pay extra over the quick service because of table meals and not use all your credits. Also, you sound like you will be busy so you wouldn't get your money out of the resort mugs. Since neither of the dining plans really meet your needs, it will most likely be cheaper OOP in my opinion. Also, the 2-yr old would not be on the dining plan so everything for him/her would be OOP anyway.

If you search, there are a lot of posts where the dining plan is broken down and shows you how you would have to eat in order for it to be cost effective. Most cases it seems you would break even or lose money.
loricdietzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
3littlecuties
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricdietzel View Post
I'm a big proponent of the dining plan (especially when it is free) but based on your current plans I would say no. Especially with F&W festival because a lot of those things are snacks and you would quickly run out of dining plan snacks and need to pay OOP for those. The regular dining plan would be a waste because you are not doing table service every day and only have two character meals and then you would have to pay extra over the quick service because of table meals and not use all your credits. Also, you sound like you will be busy so you wouldn't get your money out of the resort mugs. Since neither of the dining plans really meet your needs, it will most likely be cheaper OOP in my opinion. Also, the 2-yr old would not be on the dining plan so everything for him/her would be OOP anyway.

If you search, there are a lot of posts where the dining plan is broken down and shows you how you would have to eat in order for it to be cost effective. Most cases it seems you would break even or lose money.
OK. Thanks! This is what we were leaning towards (not getting the DP) but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something. Our kids won't sit still for many TS meals. Also, we don't drink much soda (I'm assuming that is what the resort mugs are for). We also don't get dessert often.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
1. So if we get the QSDP, would will have to pay the TS meals OOP?

2. Or can we somehow apply CS credits and pay the difference or something like that?

3. Is that even possible?
1. Yes

2. No

3. No
Old 09-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #10
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Also, we don't drink much soda (I'm assuming that is what the resort mugs are for). We also don't get dessert often.
This would seal the deal. If your family drinks water instead of soda, does not snack frequently and doesn't eat dessert very often, the DP, (any plan), is a losing proposition.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #11
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

When are you staying? If you're at a deluxe and you can get a room discount, you're always better off than with the free DDP..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #12
3littlecuties
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
When are you staying? If you're at a deluxe and you can get a room discount, you're always better off than with the free DDP..
We are staying deluxe and do have a room discount. If we get the dining plan, it would be out if pocket.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #13
hart6066
DIS Veteran

Don't do it now, but keep the dining plan in mind for future visits..

You really don't need it now, but with 3 little ones, if you go back sometime and and do a bunch of character meals, it does usually make sense. Remember that the character meals are priced per person, not according to what you order, and the price of one character meal is basically the cost of a child's dining plan for the WHOLE DAY. Just something to keep in mind if you go back. Have fun!
hart6066 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: