Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 05:11 AM   #1
yaytezIOA
ioacentralveteran

HHN Info

Did a sneak preview at Universal the other day for Halloween Horror Nights. Talked to many of the creative team, asked many questions. Thought I'd share a little bit, and if anyone had questions...try to answer them
Here's a sum up of everything.
  • Walking Dead is the big deal-They are spending the most money and time on Walking Dead. They have put a lot of time into the house, and will have hundreds of walkers everywhere. Once you come out of the house, you will be nailed with Walkers
  • No safe areas-talking to all the creative types, the actors will be everywhere...with maybe the exception of the bathrooms. If you are thinking of bringing a little one, and hoping for an area to hang safely while everyone else runs...don't. There is no safe place
  • Penn&Teller-The house was designed so that they could appear in it live from time to time. They will be there opening night, and will be making unannounced appearances
  • No Icon-For fans of the event, the Icon and theme is that there is no escape. The story is the sheer panic, the theme is chaos. The event is constantly changing, and there will most likely be some other sinister forces that are revealed to be controlling the event. They will be part of an inpark game (not confirmed, but mentioned briefly)
  • House of horrors-You will crawl and be submerged in a new version of Universal classic monsters
  • Silent Hill-It's sick...with the lights on. It's going to be something that warps your fragile little minds in the dark with all the actors in place.

This year is going to be insane, and they are very much going for the feeling that you're trapped once you get in. The Legions of creatures look amazing, and everything has a high energy vibe to it this year. If you want to see more, I have a series of videos talking with the creators of the event and even walking through two of the houses. All you newbies will definitely want to check it out, and all you old pros should be fairly pleased
Old 09-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

I plan on doing "House of Horrors" opening night but I can't believe they are actually going to make people crawl through the house! Are you sure? There will be lots of people with mobility issues who will have to skip this one...unless there is an alternate route to take? Has anything along this line been discussed?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
yaytezIOA
ioacentralveteran

Howl o scream had a house where you crawled through....it was more a crouch. People in wheelchairs could get through fine. I imagine it will be the same, although way back when....RUN had you crawl through a tube and slide out of the house. With ada regs, you know they have to accomodate
Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Rip
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
I plan on doing "House of Horrors" opening night but I can't believe they are actually going to make people crawl through the house! Are you sure? There will be lots of people with mobility issues who will have to skip this one...unless there is an alternate route to take? Has anything along this line been discussed?

We have a really big house here in town that is nationally recognized (it's much bigger than any single house UO has ever done) that has an area you must crawl through. I'm fairly sure they have an alternate route for those that either can't or don't want to crawl through, though.
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post
We have a really big house here in town that is nationally recognized (it's much bigger than any single house UO has ever done) that has an area you must crawl through. I'm fairly sure they have an alternate route for those that either can't or don't want to crawl through, though.
As long as there is an alternate route I don't have a problem with it. But with one less house this year to begin with, the idea of some guests not being able to do this one bothers me. As I said, I'll do it opening night and see it for myself.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
Rip
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
As long as there is an alternate route I don't have a problem with it. But with one less house this year to begin with, the idea of some guests not being able to do this one bothers me. As I said, I'll do it opening night and see it for myself.

Let us know!

I really doubt they would do it without an alternate route.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Universal has commented on the crouching element:

"HHN fans, this portion of the house was built so that wheelchairs can go through too.There is also a secondary hallway in case you're too scared to brave the horror..."
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaytezIOA View Post
Did a sneak preview at Universal the other day for Halloween Horror Nights. Talked to many of the creative team, asked many questions. Thought I'd share a little bit, and if anyone had questions...try to answer them
Here's a sum up of everything.
  • Walking Dead is the big deal-They are spending the most money and time on Walking Dead. They have put a lot of time into the house, and will have hundreds of walkers everywhere. Once you come out of the house, you will be nailed with Walkers
  • No safe areas-talking to all the creative types, the actors will be everywhere...with maybe the exception of the bathrooms. If you are thinking of bringing a little one, and hoping for an area to hang safely while everyone else runs...don't. There is no safe place
  • Penn&Teller-The house was designed so that they could appear in it live from time to time. They will be there opening night, and will be making unannounced appearances
  • No Icon-For fans of the event, the Icon and theme is that there is no escape. The story is the sheer panic, the theme is chaos. The event is constantly changing, and there will most likely be some other sinister forces that are revealed to be controlling the event. They will be part of an inpark game (not confirmed, but mentioned briefly)
  • House of horrors-You will crawl and be submerged in a new version of Universal classic monsters
  • Silent Hill-It's sick...with the lights on. It's going to be something that warps your fragile little minds in the dark with all the actors in place.

This year is going to be insane, and they are very much going for the feeling that you're trapped once you get in. The Legions of creatures look amazing, and everything has a high energy vibe to it this year. If you want to see more, I have a series of videos talking with the creators of the event and even walking through two of the houses. All you newbies will definitely want to check it out, and all you old pros should be fairly pleased
This all sounds crazy, intense and I can't wait!!! Thanks for sharing.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
Universal has commented on the crouching element:

"HHN fans, this portion of the house was built so that wheelchairs can go through too.There is also a secondary hallway in case you're too scared to brave the horror..."
Old 09-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
Marquibiri
HHN Addict!

This is killing me, can't week.

Can't believe opening night is next weekend.... AND I HAVE TO WAIT A WEEK AFTER THAT!

I'm so psyched.. I actually rewatched Silent Hill and eplayed Silent HIll 1, 2, 3.
Will start playing Silent Hill Homecoming this weekend!

Will rewatch The Walking Dead all next week!

I'm going nuts!

Cheers!

Marquibiri

Marquibiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #11
the Dark Marauder
Proud Redhead
Time Travel Grand Master
It has achieved Legendary status

Ooooh, awesome. Can't wait for preview night!
Old 09-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #12
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Wow, the Silent Hill video is amazing. I wonder where Pyramid Head will be?

I'll check out the rest later. I wish that they had a real theme but otherwise this all looks great.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #13
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

"there is no escape" is catchy for a theme.

it has grown on me.....

this will be my 13th year of hhn so it is a good thing to change things around.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:08 AM   #14
Rip
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
"there is no escape" is catchy for a theme.

it has grown on me.....

this will be my 13th year of hhn so it is a good thing to change things around.
I'm finding myself in the same camp, mac. Other than 2005 when the airport was closed (Katrina, I live in south Louisiana now), we've been every year since 2000. I was a bit disappointed this year, at first, when there seemed to be no theme or anything to really tie it all together and obviously no icon.

But I'm finding myself more and more excited as the houses all look to have the potential to be fantastic and I really like the idea of no safe haven.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #15
yaytezIOA
ioacentralveteran

Pyramid Head will be in the Silent Hill House a few times...but one time he's going to really get the s#*t out of you. I didn't get to see him in there, but I have a good idea that I know where...

As for the no theme thing, it's really about change (and construction). HHN does it bigger than any other theme park, and they changed the haunt industry several times. Notice how every other park is going with a big icon or theme now?

I was with everyone else...a little disappointed...but I can't help but be excited! Plus it kind of helps that I get to meet Penn&Teller...so uber excited.

The costumes look amazing too, and I love the original houses. Dead End is really freakin creepy to me. I loved the layout of it, and it has a very distinct Poltergeist feel to it. I don't think you could see it in the videos, but the rooms do some really freaky things. I won't spoil it, but it has some cool fun house style effects to it.

I've also got a ton of pics up as well...gives more depth to everything

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: