Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
handicap18
Husband, father of 3, and Disney addict
Keep the game flowin and keep the people participating

Pre-trip planning report

Hello all

We leave for our 5 night trip to the World in 17 days.

I've kind of been fretting about a few things. First and foremost are my feet. Because of one of the chemo drugs I was getting 2 years ago I got neuropathy in my feet and it makes walking a little more difficult though not impossible. Now running or jogging on the other hand. Yikes. Because of the neuropathy I'll be renting a scooter just because of the miles and miles of walking involved at Disney.

I've also been wondering how my camera set up will go. I'll be using my D600 along with my 24-70mm f/2.8 as my main lens, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, possibly my 10-20mm and also the 1.4x teleconverter to use with the 70-200mm at AK.

Yesterday I went on a field trip with my 2nd graders class to a local zoo. I brought the 27-70 and 70-200 with the 1.4x TC attached. I'm using a black rapids strap that I've had for years and also used my XL lens pouch. Its a pretty big pouch and will hold the 70-200 with the hood in the on position and the 1.4x TC attached. It makes it stick out a bit more than I'd like, but it does the trick.

I didn't take a whole lot of pictures, but it was the combo of walking around for a few hours with my setup and switching lenses on the go.

Everything went pretty well. Biggest issue I had was the lens hood falling of the 70-200 lens. That bothers me. It locks into place and to get it off you have to push in a little button, but it fell off twice. I'm considering not using it, but that lens really does need a hood, especially on really sunny days.

Anyway, my feet felt pretty good (even though I also twisted my ankle last weekend and its been black and blue all week) walking around though it was only 2 hours and wasn't hot. There were a lot of chaperones so we each only had 2 or 3 kids to watch out for. I had 2, my son and one of his classmates. DS was very considerate while we were walking, telling his friend to not run ahead so far because I couldn't walk fast.

Here are a few photos of the animals. I have to check the glass on both the 70-200 and the TC. The seem to be slightly off and I think one of the sides of glass on one or both need to be cleaned.

Mexican Wolf:

Snow Leopards:

Barn Owl:

American Bald Eagle:
Nikon D600 : Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 : Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D : Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR : Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII AF-S: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM : Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM : SB-900 Speedlight Flash.
handicap18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

So glad you got to test out your gear on a test run. Love that owl shot!

I hope you have an awesome trip to Disney. Can't wait to see some of your shots when you get back.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
handicap18

Thanks mon2rkt. I've been taking baseball pictures of the last few weeks using the 1.4TC on the 70-200 and they came out pretty good.

This one is at f/4:

Our flight leaves after school on Tuesday!! Getting VERY excited. 2 more sleeps then we leave!!
Nikon D600 : Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 : Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D : Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR : Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII AF-S: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM : Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM : SB-900 Speedlight Flash.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

I loved photographing sports when my boys were young. That's an awesome shot.

Have a great trip. I can't wait to see the shots you bring back. I'm sure you'll be more focused on some great family memories, but I bet you'll sneak in a few amazing shots too.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:30 PM   #5
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Have a great trip, Kyle! I hear the weather's been nice there! (Remember last time you went, how hot it was? We were there last fall when it was 93 and very humid and I ended up ditching the gear one night and using just my iPhone. Best move ever, and pics were fine!) Can't wait to see your shots.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
handicap18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
Have a great trip, Kyle! I hear the weather's been nice there! (Remember last time you went, how hot it was? We were there last fall when it was 93 and very humid and I ended up ditching the gear one night and using just my iPhone. Best move ever, and pics were fine!) Can't wait to see your shots.
OMG! That last trip was crazy! averaged about 98* every day and every hour of the day. That was out of control.

This week high temp right now is 90* and lows in the low 70s at night. That I can deal with. I bought some of those cooling towels which work pretty good.

We are going to DHS for SWW on Friday which is the first day Mark Hamill is going to be there. I'm not looking forward to that craziness. So long as we get a spot for the parade I can deal with everything else. Hopefully all the fans there to see Mark will keep others away and free up the rides. He's only appearing in the parade and doing a show at 3pm. No autograph's for him. I'm only interested in the parade and the Star Wars characters. We also have a FP for TSMM which will be the first time we'll do that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: