Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
thestevied
DIS Veteran

Alcohol at new magic kingdom restaurant...

So, the Disney trip planning forums are going crazy right now about the news that the Be Our Guest restaurant will serve alcohol in the table service area.

I know it's been tradition for no alcohol to be served at magic kingdom, but personally I don't see it being a big issue for adults to be able to order a glass of wine or beer with their dinner. It's not like you can buy alcohol and walk around the park with it, like at Epcot.

Any opinions? Think this is necessary for moving forward, or a change for the bad?

It's pretty much 50-50 on the trip planning forum, maybe a few more shouts for it not to happen.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
1st trip - July 1989 WDW, 2nd trip - Aug1993 WDW, 3rd trip - July 1997 Tokyo Disneyland, 4th trip - June 1999 WDW, 5th trip - Sept 2002 WDW, 6th trip - Sept 2003 WDW, 7th trip - Feb 2004 Euro Disney, 8th trip - Jan 2005 WDW, 9th trip - June 2005 WDW, 10th trip - Sept 2006 WDW, 11th trip - Sept 2007 WDW, 12th trip - Oct 2008 Disneyland, 13th trip - Sept 2009 WDW, 14th trip - Sept 2010 WDW AKL, 15th trip September 2011 - Dolphin resort, 16th trip - September 2013, Yacht Club, 17th trip - September 2014, Dolphin Resort

thestevied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:12 AM   #2
DisFanJen
Disney Phreak

Personally I don't see a problem a s long as it's inside the restaurant only and the people are monitored and 'cut off' before they drink too much.

That may sound a bit draconian but I think the one thing that would make this bad is people walking (or should I say staggering) around MK legless.

There's nothing wrong with a drink with dinner but MK is primarily for the kids so it needs to be in moderation.

Follow my tweets for pre-trip and live trip reports as well as the usual inane Twitter chatter at: http://twitter.com/disneyfanjen

5/98 - DL(Off Site), 5/03 - WDW(Off Site), 2/04 - WDW(Off Site), 9/04 - WDW(Off Site), 12/05 - WDW(Off Site), 10/06 - WDW(AKL), 5/07 - WDW(SSR), 9/07 - WDW(SSR), 12/07 - WDW(SSR), 2/08 - WDW(Poly & GF), 12/08 - WDW(OKW, Wonder), 3/10 - WDW(AKL), 2/11 - WDW(OKW), 12/11 - WDW(SSR, OKW, Dream), 9/12 - WDW (OKW, Dream), 1/14 WDW (OKW, Fantasy), 11,14 (OKW, Dream)
DisFanJen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
oceanscape
DIS Veteran

It's a sad, sad day for the Magic Kingdom IMHO. Walt will be turning in his grave.

oceanscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisFanJen
Personally I don't see a problem a s long as it's inside the restaurant only and the people are monitored and 'cut off' before they drink too much.

That may sound a bit draconian but I think the one thing that would make this bad is people walking (or should I say staggering) around MK legless.

There's nothing wrong with a drink with dinner but MK is primarily for the kids so it needs to be in moderation.
I agree! Once people know their limit and the CMs make sure no one has one too many then I don't see a problem with it. Park guests just have to remember that MK is geared towards the littlies. I suppose its a sign that WDW have to move with the times! Alcohol is served in Epcot and I have yet to see a staggering drunk in the park.

Wills First Adventure TR May 2013

Wills Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:14 AM   #5
madmumof2
DIS Veteran

MK is the park mainly geared towards children, it has no place for alcohol. CM's couldn't possibly monitor everyone, every day, there are going to be some idiots who drink too much and cause scenes.

You can get a drink anywhere else, outside the parks, at your resort/hotel/villa, i drive, pubs etc, MK should remain alcohol free IMO.

Oct 2012 - 2 weeks Southern Dunes+1 night at the Hard Rock Hotel!
Oct 2009 - 2 weeks Pop Century
Jan 2000 - 2 weeks Ramada Inn International Drive
Oct/Nov 1995 - 5 weeks Lindfields Villa, Kissimmee
madmumof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #6
madmumof2
DIS Veteran

Me personally, if I saw a drunk person staggering about it would put me off ever going back, it's not Disney, it's not what the parks are about, it's not the atmosphere I want to be a part of.

If the CM's could realistically watch every single person to walk through their doors and make sure they stick to two drinks only, all day, every day, then great, but that's not possible.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #7
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

I'm all for tradition and sentimentality, especially when it comes to Walt and Walt Disney World, but the custom at MK is no more than a sop to his wishes these days, otherwise alcohol wouldn't be sold in any of the parks. And alcohol has always been served at Club 33 in Disneyland at Walt's instigation.

I applaud the decision to bring fine dining to the Magic Kingdom, but, until now, I couldn't see it working. If I'm paying top dollar for a classy meal, I will want to drink wine with it.

I completely understand the viewpoint of those who are disappointed with the move, but for me it's a big thumbs up. In fact, I'd go as far as to say I'm thrilled.

I'm sure there have been incidences of out of control drunkenness at Disney parks, but it certainly isn't the norm. I can't see MK turning into an anarchic hell-hole.

Some interesting points in this Sentinel article, including the Club 33 comparison and the fact that alcohol has been served at private events in MK for years.

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake TowerJanuary 2015 ~ Four Seasons Golden Oak/Bay Lake Tower
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #8
madmumof2
DIS Veteran

That's the difference though, private events, private club.

All the other parks serve alcohol, it's not like people are going to go without, MK is mainly for the kiddies

Old 09-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #9
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

I can appreciate people being upset in terms of the break with tradition, but I'm really struggling to understand how people are making the leap from a couple of drinks with dinner to something akin to a Saturday night in a UK city centre. People who drink in Club 33 or at private events will go on to tour the park. I'm sure that doesn't make for a kid-unfriendly environment. People drink in other Disney parks and they're not debauched hellholes. I honestly don't think anyone will notice a scrap of difference.

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake TowerJanuary 2015 ~ Four Seasons Golden Oak/Bay Lake Tower
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #10
ChipnDaleRule
DIS Veteran

If it hadn't of been Walt's vision of MK and his stipulation on MK i wouldn't have a problem with it.

ChipnDaleRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
wideeyes
Won't use fake tan, wants to stay pale & interesting
Does not do sea food

I don't see the problem with it being served in sit done restaurant. Adults should be able to order wine at an expensive restaurant. i don't think it should be like epcot though with it sold at booths.

I have never seen anyone seriously drunk at any Disney park. At Disneyland parc in Paris you can get beer at counter services and never seen anyone drunk there.
wideeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #12
ben1993
DIS Veteran

I consider myself to be a bit of a "Disney purist" but this doesn't bother me at all, I don't see why MK is any different to every other park, and I can't stand it when people bring up "what would Walt have done"... Walt has been dead for decades, he could have done anything. Alcohol is not te devil and some decent beers and wines at a TS restaurant will have zero affect.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #13
madmumof2
DIS Veteran

It's not the tradition for me. MK to me is for very young children and alcohol and young children should never mix imo. This is coming from someone who rarely drinks so I'm probably biased, I could go a lifetime without alcohol and be absolutely fine with it, I don't need alcohol in my life.

I also don't think it's possible for CM's to be able to limit drinks like they say they will. They'll see hundreds, possibly thousands of people every day, it's just not possible to make sure people don't drink too much.

And sadly there are people, far too many I know of and see every day, who drink too much and their children are always so sad. MK is supposed to be a happy place, children who are unfortunate enough to have parents who don't know when to stop should be able to have one place in the world they don't have to worry about them being pissed.

I don't see the problem with MK being alcohol free, you have epcot, ak, dhs, dd, universal, hundreds of off site restaurants, resorts, walmart etc to have alcohol if you wish, there's nothing wrong with just 1 location out of thousands of places you could go, to be alcohol free, especially the 1 park that is focused on very small children.

As I said, if the CM's develop magic powers and are somehow are able to limit drinks, and have the ability to say 'no more', all day, every day, then there would be no problem. I can't see that being possible myself but Disney is Disney after all, they can do anything. :D

Also, during f+w people do drink too much in epcot and many people have complained of drunk people wandering around. I don't understand how anyone can think that's ok.

I'm not saying MK will become full of drunk morons all of a sudden, I'm just saying it's THE children's park, children and alcohol don't, and shouldn't, mix. It's not like there's nowhere else to drink if you want, there are hundreds of places, alcohol drinkers are not deprived if MK is a drink free zone, not by a long shot.

I do think the hype of this announcement is a bit of an over-reaction, I'm sure it won't change MK that much and we won't start seeing drunk people in the park all of a sudden, it's just that it's MK, magical and childish, for young children and innocence...it just doesn't gel for me, doesn't go together.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #14
madmumof2
DIS Veteran

Reading that back, I am definitely biased. My ex thought it was ok to use a child's birthday party as an excuse for a piss up. He saw no problem being drunk and in charge of children. He also had a drink problem and is the reason drunk people scare me.

I don't think alcohol and children should ever mix but I do understand I'm coming from a completely different perspective and experience than the average person.

I think the hype will die down when it's in place and it does well, if after a year of the restaurant being open there are no complaints of drunk people then everyone will be fine with it.

I just hope it doesn't start the ball rolling and we start seeing kiosks and stalls selling alcohol as well.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #15
Shazzie B
DIS Veteran

And I'm afraid to say that the only 'drunk' people I've ever seen at Disney have been British & in the UK at Epcot - I was quite ashamed - not suitable for any family theme park.

Having said that, whilst I'm not bothered by alcohol either, DH I'm sure would enjoy a nice glass of wine with his meal. Don't think alcohol at a fine dining restaurant in MK will be as 'risky' or likely to attract/encourage behaviour as the pub in UK Epcot does.

May 2002 All Star Movies; May 2003 La Quinta 192; Dec 2004 Nikki Bird; April 2006 Holiday Inn & Dolphin Beach, St. Petes; Aug 2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge; Aug 2008 Coronado Springs; Aug 2009 Highlands Reserve & Animal Kingdom Lodge; Oct 2010 Best Western Lakeside; Oct 2012 Arcadia Gardens; Sept 2013 Old Key West;Sept 2014 Transatlantic on Magic

Shazzie B is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: