Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #2506
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieDog View Post
I now have a working computer and can get on here more often.
Welcome back!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
Old 08-20-2013, 06:03 AM   #2507
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Queen View Post
Yeah!

So school starts back tomorrow. I can't believe I will have a high schooler and a second grader. Scary.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
They grow up quick. Our school year starts in January/Feb. My DS became a high schooler this year too. But I'm not sure that the grades line up. DS is in Year 7. High school goes from 7 - 12 over here.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #2508
SadieDog
Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open
Hell's Kitchen time
The thing got inside my shirt and was slithering around

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
They grow up quick. Our school year starts in January/Feb. My DS became a high schooler this year too. But I'm not sure that the grades line up. DS is in Year 7. High school goes from 7 - 12 over here.
Interesting. High school is 9-12 here. In my little town our grade school is K-5 and middle school 6-8.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #2509
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Quote:
Wow, he's a good reader!
Takes after his mama. I LOVE to read. In standardized testing, scored a college reading level in early middle school. I love taking both my boys to the library and hope that they'll read for pleasure throughout their lives.

Quote:
Wait. I'm reading that right? Your school year starts in Jan/Feb? When does it end?
Old 08-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #2510
SadieDog
Hell's Kitchen time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
Takes after his mama. I LOVE to read. In standardized testing, scored a college reading level in early middle school. I love taking both my boys to the library and hope that they'll read for pleasure throughout their lives.

Wait. I'm reading that right? Your school year starts in Jan/Feb? When does it end?
Wow, you were an excellent reader too. I read to my kids all the time and took them to the library to pick out books. My son does not love to read. My daughter reads for pleasure now, but in school if they were assigned a book to read, forget it.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #2511
SadieDog
Hell's Kitchen time

Has anyone read Life of Pi and if so did you like it? The lady I work for gave me her book to read. My husband read it and said it's slow at the beginning, but gets better. I've only read 20 pages, but it sure is slow. I would like to read more tonight, but my head/eyes won't allow it.

I admit that I can have trouble getting into books. I read 52 pages of Hunger Games and put it back on the shelf at work. I know many people liked it, but I don't care for the concept or care enough to continue reading.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #2512
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Summer runs Dec - Feb here. End of the year is November/December so that the kids can enjoy summer break.

Quote:
Has anyone read Life of Pi and if so did you like it? The lady I work for gave me her book to read. My husband read it and said it's slow at the beginning, but gets better. I've only read 20 pages, but it sure is slow. I would like to read more tonight, but my head/eyes won't allow it.

I admit that I can have trouble getting into books. I read 52 pages of Hunger Games and put it back on the shelf at work. I know many people liked it, but I don't care for the concept or care enough to continue reading.
I read Life of Pi in 2001, when it first came out. I remember it as one of those books where I keep looking for real life analogy but failing miserably! I did enjoy it in the end; but that was after I decided to just enjoy it for the pure fantasy and the visual pictures I imagined from the words.

I never read it again. And I don't know if I could pick it up again!

Old 08-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #2513
TarzansKat

Quote:
Wow, you were an excellent reader too. I read to my kids all the time and took them to the library to pick out books. My son does not love to read. My daughter reads for pleasure now, but in school if they were assigned a book to read, forget it.
Still am. We're friends on FB, right? You should go in my notes sometime and check out my books read for this year. Last year was over 100. If I don't have a stack of library books on my nightstand, I feel like something is wrong.

Quote:

I haven't read that yet. I may have to give it a try.

I used to read every book cover to cover even if I didn't like it. I have since decided life is too short to read stuff I don't like.

Case in point? The latest Dan Brown? I just could not get through it. Just couldn't. Ended up returning it to the library and I was about a third of the way through.

Quote:
Summer runs Dec - Feb here. End of the year is November/December so that the kids can enjoy summer break.
My older son is a February baby. He'd be so happy to have his birthday in the summer.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #2514
SadieDog
Hell's Kitchen time

I'll have to give Life of Pi more time.....when my head will allow me to read.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #2515
SadieDog
Hell's Kitchen time

Quote:
Still am. We're friends on FB, right? You should go in my notes sometime and check out my books read for this year. Last year was over 100. If I don't have a stack of library books on my nightstand, I feel like something is wrong.

I haven't read that yet. I may have to give it a try.

I used to read every book cover to cover even if I didn't like it. I have since decided life is too short to read stuff I don't like.

Case in point? The latest Dan Brown? I just could not get through it. Just couldn't. Ended up returning it to the library and I was about a third of the way through.

My older son is a February baby. He'd be so happy to have his birthday in the summer.
Oh my. I checked out your fb list of books. I don't even want to read that many books in a year. I like to watch TV too. My dear friend suggested Gone Girl. She thought I would like it. I see that you have read it too.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #2516
LegoMom3

Me and mine are way overdue

Quote:
Oh my. I checked out your fb list of books. I don't even want to read that many books in a year. I like to watch TV too. My dear friend suggested Gone Girl. She thought I would like it. I see that you have read it too.
....^yeah, that.^ I love to read; last year I think I logged 14 books (of varying lengths). I'm close to that again now. But usually if I attempt to read in bed, I'm out cold!! Sometimes at the end of a long day on my feet, I just want to plop down and watch that screen!!!

Old 08-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #2517
SadieDog
Hell's Kitchen time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoMom3 View Post
....^yeah, that.^ I love to read; last year I think I logged 14 books (of varying lengths). I'm close to that again now. But usually if I attempt to read in bed, I'm out cold!! Sometimes at the end of a long day on my feet, I just want to plop down and watch that screen!!!

I'm the same way. There is no way I can read in bed at night. It puts me out too. At night I like to unwind by watching TV.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #2518
TarzansKat

Quote:
Gone Girl...um. I'll reserve my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoMom3 View Post

Quote:
I'm the same way. There is no way I can read in bed at night. It puts me out too. At night I like to unwind by watching TV.

And

I watch TV too. Just not as much. I watch TV when I want to veg. Reading is just my thing. I love it. And it does put me to sleep too...

Actually....

And I'm not the only person I know who this is happened to...

One time, I was in bed, reading on my Nook, and the book was really good, and I was trying so hard not to fall asleep, and I sort of did fall asleep and what woke me up was the Nook hitting me on the forhead.

Now you all know my shame.

Now imagine being brave enough to tell that to your friends in person, and then having someone say, I did that too!!!! PRICELESS!!!!
Old 08-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #2519
SadieDog
Hell's Kitchen time

Quote:
Gone Girl...um. I'll reserve my opinion.

And

I watch TV too. Just not as much. I watch TV when I want to veg. Reading is just my thing. I love it. And it does put me to sleep too...

Actually....

And I'm not the only person I know who this is happened to...

One time, I was in bed, reading on my Nook, and the book was really good, and I was trying so hard not to fall asleep, and I sort of did fall asleep and what woke me up was the Nook hitting me on the forhead.

Now you all know my shame.

Now imagine being brave enough to tell that to your friends in person, and then having someone say, I did that too!!!! PRICELESS!!!!
It's ok to say if you did not like the book. I'm the only one I know who didn't like Hunger Games and didn't go past 52 pages. I think Gone Girl was the book my friend mentioned that the author had a twisted mind. I don't know what it's about so don't remember for sure. Maybe she didn't want to ruin the twisted details for me and keep it a surprise.

That's funny the Nook hit you in the head. I'm not sure if reading from a screen would be worse on my eyes/headaches.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #2520
Mean Queen
If only life were like a musical....
I always appreciate snarky
A whole zoo!
I blame it all on the computer

Quote:

I can't believe that either.

I figured you must be going back this week, since we start next. I'm actually starting to put things together, make sure Nemo's backpack is cleaned out and that he has whatever school supplies he needs. :::sigh::: A third grader.

Did I ever tell you all he just started reading Harry Potter this year and he's already on book 6? Growing up so fast.
That is excellent. DD7 started the first book but she won't just sit down and read it. She can watch tv, play video games or even play alone with her toys for hours but she doesn't like reading anything long. Sad since I'm such a reader I wanted my kids to be readers too. My oldest was until reading for school sucked the joy out of it for her. Hopefully, she will enjoy it again like I did.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

DVC Owners - SSR & BLT DCL: 11/05 ~ 5/07 ~ 11/08 ~ 6/09 ~ 8/10 ~ 3/11B2B ~ 11/11 ~ 6/12 ~9/12 ~ 11/13 ~ 1/14
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: