Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #1
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Carmichael, California
Posts: 18,802

Credit cards with chips aren't completely secure

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...anner/9028065/

Been a running discussion here about how the chip cards are more common in Europe for "security" reasons. My daughter is going to school in the U.K. and has found some businesses use the magnet strip instead of the chip, allegedly for "security reasons". I guess the short answer is, there is no fool proof way to prevent credit card theft, you always have to be careful and keep an eye on your statements.
__________________
tvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out
 
wdwmom0f3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 7,974

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...anner/9028065/

Been a running discussion here about how the chip cards are more common in Europe for "security" reasons. My daughter is going to school in the U.K. and has found some businesses use the magnet strip instead of the chip, allegedly for "security reasons". I guess the short answer is, there is no fool proof way to prevent credit card theft, you always have to be careful and keep an eye on your statements.
I wouldn't doubt it. It seems like the crooks find away around everything pretty fast.
__________________
Carla DH DD 21 DD 16 DS 13
wdwmom0f3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
Kogo Shuko
DIS Veteran
 
Kogo Shuko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,502

The Chip cards are fairly common here in Canada, but from what I gathered when my card was compromised is that some businesses have not upgraded their payment system, and still use the magnetic strip. Those stations that don't use the Chip are most likely the stations where cards are compromised.

I've only had a card be compromised ONCE since we've moved over to the Chip cards, whereas before, my card was compromised about four times in just two years (I suspect a gas station near my parents').
__________________

me (28): ~*~ J (32): ~*~ E (7): ~*~ Jax:
~*~ 1992-1993 – Offsite ~*~ 1995-1996 – Offsite ~*~ 2009 – Scotland ~*~ 2010 – Newfoundland ~*~ 2010-2011 – Offsite ~*~ October 2011 - Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Feb 2012 – Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Oct 2012 – Carnival Cruise/Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Sept 2013 - Sanibel/Vistana/Leesburg ~*~ April 2014 - Houston, Texas ~*~ August 2014 - Rochester, NY ~*~





Kogo Shuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Carmichael, California
Posts: 18,802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogo Shuko View Post
The Chip cards are fairly common here in Canada, but from what I gathered when my card was compromised is that some businesses have not upgraded their payment system, and still use the magnetic strip. Those stations that don't use the Chip are most likely the stations where cards are compromised.

I've only had a card be compromised ONCE since we've moved over to the Chip cards, whereas before, my card was compromised about four times in just two years (I suspect a gas station near my parents').
Wow. Guess I am lucky. I've had one ATTEMPTED fraudulent charge in 40 years. Bank caught it because the person attempting the charge didn't have the security code on the back of the card.
I just know that the study abroad program at my daughter's school recommended she make sure her credit card did NOT have a chip for security reasons. She hasn't had an issue, but her friend with a chipped guard has found a few merchants there that are not setup to take chipped cards. And the travel shop here sells those protective sleeves just for chip cards.

I have family in Canada and I am there frequently. But they live in remote areas where it's cash or check only, no credit or debit cards at all.
__________________
tvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
Kogo Shuko
DIS Veteran
 
Kogo Shuko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,502

That must be REALLY remote then, because we're pretty current with technology up here, even in the boondocks.

Perhaps rural maritimes?

Our bank cards are chipped here as well, and we've had the chip technology for years, whereas I'm only NOW seeing it in the States (Upper NY state, for instance).

I think it's fairly common practice to compromise debit/credit machines at gas stations, at least near where my parents live. But there's a lot of minor crime in that area (smuggling of cigarettes, for instance).

But I was forced into getting chipped cards. Both debit and credit. I had no option to say no to them. They cancelled my old card and forced me to use the one they sent in the mail.
__________________

me (28): ~*~ J (32): ~*~ E (7): ~*~ Jax:
~*~ 1992-1993 – Offsite ~*~ 1995-1996 – Offsite ~*~ 2009 – Scotland ~*~ 2010 – Newfoundland ~*~ 2010-2011 – Offsite ~*~ October 2011 - Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Feb 2012 – Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Oct 2012 – Carnival Cruise/Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Sept 2013 - Sanibel/Vistana/Leesburg ~*~ April 2014 - Houston, Texas ~*~ August 2014 - Rochester, NY ~*~





Kogo Shuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
BCDisneyFanatic
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,530

Just a few of the plethora of articles/FAQs explaining why chips are more secure than magnetic stripes.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcons...-security-lags

http://usa.visa.com/personal/securit...p-card-faq.jsp

https://www.chasepaymentech.com/faq_...echnology.html

https://www.americanexpress.com/in/c...d-pin-faq.html

Quote:
Q3: Are the existing Cards no longer secure?

A: The Card(s) that you currently have is secure and can be used until replaced with a Chip and PIN enabled Card. Chip and PIN technology is simply a newer, more advanced technology, to make payments even more secure.
TVGuy, could you please find me a single (reputable) source suggesting that magnetic stripes are actually more secure than chips? I couldn't find any. The closest I could find was this:

Hacker's Demo Shows How Easily Credit Cards Can Be Read Through Clothes And Wallets

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygree...s-and-wallets/


However, it does say in the article:

Quote:
The attack Paget demonstrated is far from new. The security industry has known since 2006 that contactless credit cards can be read wirelessly without the owner’s knowledge. But in current versions of the cards, the user’s name, PIN and the three-digit CVV on the back of the card aren’t included in the wirelessly-read information, which the industry has argued means the attack isn’t practical.

Randy Vanderhoof, executive director of the industry group the Smart Card Alliance, points out that despite previous research on the contactless attack, no real-world instances of the fraud have ever been reported. “We’ve got six years of history, a hundred million users of these cards, and we haven’t seen any documented cases of this kind of fraudulent transaction. The reason we think that’s the case is that it’s very difficult to monetize this as a criminal,” says Vanderhoof. “The premise that this is a new threat is absolutely false and isn’t supported by [Paget's] demonstration.”

In fact, contactless cards do offer one security feature traditional cards don’t: Along with the card’s 16-digit number and expiration date, the cards are set to offer up a one-time CVV code with every scan. Those codes can only be used for one transaction, and have to used in the order they’re generated. If a payment processor detects multiple transactions with the same code or even codes being used to make transactions in the wrong order, it will disable the card. So a contactless card scammer can only use each stolen number once, and if the victim of a the scam uses the card again before the thief has time to make a fraudulent payment, all transactions on the card will be blocked.


“The truth is that consumers should be embracing this technology because it’s making them safer,” says Vanderhoof. “Efforts to try to discredit the use of chip technology in cards is only making the users of the existing technology more vulnerable.”
BCDisneyFanatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #7
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,418

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Wow. Guess I am lucky. I've had one ATTEMPTED fraudulent charge in 40 years. Bank caught it because the person attempting the charge didn't have the security code on the back of the card.
I just know that the study abroad program at my daughter's school recommended she make sure her credit card did NOT have a chip for security reasons. She hasn't had an issue, but her friend with a chipped guard has found a few merchants there that are not setup to take chipped cards. And the travel shop here sells those protective sleeves just for chip cards.

I have family in Canada and I am there frequently. But they live in remote areas where it's cash or check only, no credit or debit cards at all.
It makes absolutely no sense that your daughter's school would recommend her to not bring a chip card. Chip cards are what they use in Europe. Many automated machines don't take magnetic strip cards. Also, chip cards still have a magnetic strip so even if you were to find the one store that didn't take chips, you'd still be able to use your chip card. Any research into traveling to Europe will have countless articles and information on the benefits of bringing a chip card to Europe.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #8
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Carmichael, California
Posts: 18,802

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDisneyFanatic View Post

TVGuy, could you please find me a single (reputable) source suggesting that magnetic stripes are actually more secure than chips?
Ah, all I said was chipped cards are having some issues unique to their design, not that they are any less ( or any more) security.
__________________
tvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #9
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Carmichael, California
Posts: 18,802

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway View Post
It makes absolutely no sense that your daughter's school would recommend her to not bring a chip card. Chip cards are what they use in Europe. Many automated machines don't take magnetic strip cards. Also, chip cards still have a magnetic strip so even if you were to find the one store that didn't take chips, you'd still be able to use your chip card. Any research into traveling to Europe will have countless articles and information on the benefits of bringing a chip card to Europe.
I do not know why they make that recommendation, but DW is on Skype with DD right now and I read this post to her and her reply is "Try using a chip card at Morrison's sometime, you'll understand." Her classmate has a chipped card and she has had issues with acceptance, DD has not with her magnetic strip card. So apparently the recommendation was made based on students experience there.
__________________
tvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:44 PM   #10
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund
 
NHdisneylover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Heidelberg, Germany (formally from New Hampshire)
Posts: 14,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway View Post
It makes absolutely no sense that your daughter's school would recommend her to not bring a chip card. Chip cards are what they use in Europe. Many automated machines don't take magnetic strip cards. Also, chip cards still have a magnetic strip so even if you were to find the one store that didn't take chips, you'd still be able to use your chip card. Any research into traveling to Europe will have countless articles and information on the benefits of bringing a chip card to Europe.
This. We are forever having visitors to the US who only have the strip and run into not being bale to pay in many places.
Heck, even our local McDonalds now requires a chip and a pin (though I consider it lucky it is not cash only like many still are here in Germany--cash only in Canada is not something I have seen as even close to the norm on visits for many years; I agree you must be very rural--wow).
__________________
Hadley

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #11
taitai
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 801

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
I do not know why they make that recommendation, but DW is on Skype with DD right now and I read this post to her and her reply is "Try using a chip card at Morrison's sometime, you'll understand." Her classmate has a chipped card and she has had issues with acceptance, DD has not with her magnetic strip card. So apparently the recommendation was made based on students experience there.
Does your daughter have a chip and PIN or a chip and signature? Chip and PIN cards are what are used in Europe. It is very difficult to buy a subway ticket in Paris or fill up your car with gas in Italy without one....anyplace automated. However, is she only has a Chip and signature card that could explain the issues.

We have a Chip and PIN card for travel to Europe and Asia. It wasn't easy to get here in the US but it made travel so much easier.
taitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #12
A Small World

I always like to give a little royal wave whilst Im up there
Not even looking at it til I get some housework done
 
A Small World's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 15,198

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
I do not know why they make that recommendation, but DW is on Skype with DD right now and I read this post to her and her reply is "Try using a chip card at Morrison's sometime, you'll understand." Her classmate has a chipped card and she has had issues with acceptance, DD has not with her magnetic strip card. So apparently the recommendation was made based on students experience there.
That really surprises me. Im in the UK and we use Chip and Pin cards all the time and have done for several years now.

OT - whereabouts in UK is your daughter?
__________________
WDW - Christmas 1991 -Off site; WDW - Christmas 1992 -Off site; WDW - Summer 1996 - All Stars; WDW - Summer 2003 -All Stars; DLP - Easter 2006- Santa Fe; DLP- Easter 2007 - Santa Fe + Explorers; DLP - Summer 2007 - Holiday Inn; DLP - Christmas 2007 -DCR; DLP - Easter 2008 - Cheyenne; DLP Summer 2008 Explorers + Sequoia Lodge; Nov 09 DDs surprise birthday trip- Kyriad; Feb2009 Disneyland Hotel; Easter 09 Kyriad; Summer 09 Newport Bay; Oct 10- DL ; Dec 11 - DL: Dec 12 DL; Dec 13 - DLP SL, Dec 14 - DLP DLH

A Small World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #13
Melmac
DIS Veteran
 
Melmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 661

I am also in Canada, and chip and PIN has been the norm for a few years now. I shop in the US regularly and have never been able to use the chip on my US Visa (all swipe and sign). Are chip cards in the US set up for signature and/or PIN? Are cards in the US set up for chip OR swipe, not both? If they are just one or other, I could see why tvguy's daughter was told to bring a swipe card. In Canada, the cards are set for both.

In my experience, (including the US, Scotland, Netherlands and Australia), the US seems behind in the use of chip and PIN. I only encountered one shop in Scotland that didn't use the chip and they just swiped my card (tiny town - I think I was lucky they even took credit cards). I would never travel abroad without chip and PIN.
__________________
Nov 2014: POFQ - Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon • Sep 2013: Offsite • Nov 2012: Art of Animation (LM) • Nov 2011: Port Orleans French Quarter • Oct 2010: Caribbean Beach • Sep 2009: Pop Century • Sep 2008: All-Star Sports • Dec 2007: Coronado Springs • Oct 2006: Port Orleans Riverside • Sep 2004: Caribbean Beach • May 1990: Offsite
Melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:14 PM   #14
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,418

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
I do not know why they make that recommendation, but DW is on Skype with DD right now and I read this post to her and her reply is "Try using a chip card at Morrison's sometime, you'll understand." Her classmate has a chipped card and she has had issues with acceptance, DD has not with her magnetic strip card. So apparently the recommendation was made based on students experience there.
Do you not understand that chip cards still have a magnetic strip that can be swiped? There would be no issue using it at a store which accepts swiped cards.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #15
jsmith
And now I am off to get my clippie!
And don't forget to take care of yourself
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: The Best Hometown in the Army
Posts: 2,731

As with any technology chip cards can be compromised remotely too-they are RF chips and can be scanned with an RFID tag reader.
__________________
"Three things all men should teach their sons-to ride, to shoot straight, and to speak the truth"
Cyrus, King of Persia 536 BC
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: