Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Any Brits living in the US and then going/gone on a cruise?

So I've been sitting here trying to sort out passports and stuff for DH and older twins. I just happened to stumble along a section on the DCL site that I somehow skipped over.

For Bahama/Carribean cruises, it's saying if you are living in the US and have a green card, the green card is all you need. I'm questioning that though. I'd still like to get the passports renewed but just in case I can't get it done in time, I'd like to know.

Is that really all you need?
Old 09-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

I have a UK passport and a green card and I have always taken my passport and green card, and they have always looked at both. You only need your green card to get back into the US though, so maybe they don't need to see a passport. I would probably call DCL and get clarification just for piece of mind. :-)

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
ukintheus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

So, you made me curious!

Here's what I found on the Customs & Border Patrol website:

Lawful Permanent Residents of the U.S. must present a Permanent Resident Card ("Green Card", INS Form I-551), a Reentry Permit (if gone for more than 1 year), or a Returning Resident Visa (if gone for 2 years or more) to reenter the United States. U.S. LPRs do not need a passport to enter the United States as per (8 CFR 211.1(a)), however, they may need a passport to enter another country. Please contact the embassy of the foreign country you will be traveling to for their requirements. While CBP does not require the passport as noted above, the airlines may have their own requirements, please check with your airlines prior to travel.

So it looks like it's just down to the requirements of the country/ies that you are visiting.

Good luck with it - I'd be interested to know what you find out. Although I renewed my passport in 2010 and it was pretty fast, only about 1 week more than DH, who has a US passport. They are all renewed in Washington these days.

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
Old 09-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Well that sure is interesting! We certainly have long enough to deal with passports, but I thought this would be nice to know. We could have done some of these last minute Florida resident deals but I didn't even look at it since passports are expired. Maybe we can take a quick one at another time. I might call DCL or Port Canaveral tomorrow to verify this.

Since your Brittish, I'll share our passport struggles. For my hubby, it's no problem to get his renewed. But the twins (my step kids) are another story.

They've been here since they were 5. Their child passports are expired (they have green cards). But now that they are 18, in order to get a new passport....we have to have their original birth certificates (we have copies) PLUS their mother's birth certificate. Uh....she doesn't live here. I asked her to send it but was told she can't because if she mails it, it will trigger something that shows she is in the US and expire her passport card. I'm not sure how accurate that info is. But basically, she would have to fly over here to take them down to get their passports. I have NO IDEA why grown adults would need their mother to get a passport. I hate all the stupid rules when it comes to this stuff.

So bascially they (along with hubby) just sent off their applications to get US Citizenship. It was a lot cheaper than flying their mother over. So we have to wait that out (up to 6 months) and then get normal US passports.

Hence why I reserved a cruise Oct 2012, lol. But it would be nice to know if the green cards would be enough for Bahamas or Carribean!
Old 09-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

There is no accounting for the rules of the red tape!! It does seem ridiculous that they would need their mother's original birth certificate as well as their own, although I don't see how presenting her birth certificate over here would constitute some type of entry into the US on her behalf, but, I've never experienced anything like it, so that's not to say there isn't some validity there.

I hope their citizenship goes through smoothly for you all, and then it will be a non-issue from this point forward and who knows how many last minute cruises you can do between now and then!

You've got plenty of time for your planned cruise (assuming you meant Oct 2013? ) so either way I'm sure you will get things straightend out.

Let me know what you find out though if you do decide to contact DCL to get confirmation - just from sheer curiosity on my part - LOL

Jenny & Scott
Old 09-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukintheus
There is no accounting for the rules of the red tape!! It does seem ridiculous that they would need their mother's original birth certificate as well as their own,
Fwiw, my 40-something husband needed his mom's BC for his citizenship. He's from Malaysia, so it had to be translated. And even better, his mom's didn't even list a last name for her. She was listed as "----, daughter of -----". How can you not have a last name? So, hers was assigned as her father's first name. As it turns out, my DH's mom, dad, and he all had different last names. Talk about red tape.

But I understand the OP and PP's hesitancy to travel out of country. My DH's passport expired while he was on a green card and it was just too much of a risk to face being refused entry or jeopardizing his citizenship process. All's well now, though, and best of luck to you!
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber

Fwiw, my 40-something husband needed his mom's BC for his citizenship. He's from Malaysia, so it had to be translated. And even better, his mom's didn't even list a last name for her. She was listed as "----, daughter of -----". How can you not have a last name? So, hers was assigned as her father's first name. As it turns out, my DH's mom, dad, and he all had different last names. Talk about red tape.
Wow! That had to have been tricky!! LOL

Totally off topic, but it just goes to show how much this country is still a nation of immigrants. I always joke to friends here that the British are trying to take over again, we're just coming in one at a time this time!! LOL.

Jenny & Scott
Old 09-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
Lorelei528
DIS Veteran

My DH is from Ireland. He brings his Irish passport and his Green Card, but usually they only look at/need the Green Card....

HTH!
Lorelei528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
KayR
DIS Veteran

In June all we needed to show was our green cards.

Previous Trips
September 2013: Windsor Palms Resort, 23rd July: Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean, 2nd Jan 2011: The Manor at Emerald Island, Disney Wonder Panama Canal Repositioning Cruise, Worldmark Anaheim / Sep 12th 2009 DCL Eastern with Tortola Sep 5th 2009 One week at Avalon at Windsor Palms, April 12th 2009 One week at Disneyland, California / Aug 28th 2008 5 nights at Disneyland, California / Jan 26th 2008 Windsor Palms Resort (Avalon) / Jan 19th 2008 DCL Eastern / Jan 16th 2008 Emerald Island Resort (The Manor) / Apr 4th 2007 One night at CBR then 2 weeks at Emerald Island Resort (The Manor) / Aug 16th 2006 Emerald Island Resort (The Manor)
KayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Well just to update. I have emailed both Miami and the US Customs so waiting to hear back from them. I would like them to verify since Disney has been known to give out false information at times.

But I called Disney and he said all they need is their current Permanent Residence Card (Green Card). He does recommend another photo ID as well like their driver's licenses. And it looks like some of the PP above have gone with just the green card. This makes life a whole lot easier for us!

I would still like them all to get their passports because who knows if we ever need to travel out of country again. But now I won't have to rush. It's a long process and quite pricey.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: