Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #91
leebrew
Earning My Ears

I really do not see any issues with this. Its not like your going to get many people being drunk on the prices they charge for alc beverages at disney. When we were there it was not very sheap to get a beer or drink at the resort we were at, so i say they will over inflate the price the same.

Case in point , when we got there there were people sat at the outside bar at the resort, drinking in plan view of everybody, people walking around with open drinks, i.e. beer , liquor etc. I myself went to walmart to get a case of beer to have down by the pool like everyone else.

Dont see it as a big deal to serve beer or wine with a meal, time to come into the times, a social drink is only a social drink.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #92
Demosthenes

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebrew View Post

Dont see it as a big deal to serve beer or wine with a meal...
I don't see it as a big deal either, but I still don't like it. No matter how you slice it, the decision to bring alcohol into the MK takes away some measure of innocence from the park. I cannot see that as a good thing. It's not going to make me boycott the park or the restaurant, but I still am not a fan of the decision.
ďItís a pastime; something you do. Itís entertainment; something you watch. And itís a shared experience; something you talk about and read about. But you can apply those three criteria to other things. What makes baseball special is that itís the best game thatís ever been devised.Ē

Richard Creamer
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #93
WebmasterPete
Grand Administrator
The Big Dipple
Easily confuses bathrooms and attics
I survived Hurricane Frances...send more ice cream!

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebrew View Post
I really do not see any issues with this. Its not like your going to get many people being drunk on the prices they charge for alc beverages at disney.
Okay - really??? People don't get drunk at Disney because the prices are too high? I beg to differ. But that notwithstanding - Walt Disney specifically said he never wanted alcohol in the Magic Kingdom - it needed to be a place for families. This is where the current batch of morons running WDW cross the line - thinking they're smart enough or clever enough to start messing with real legacy issues left behind by the man who had the vision.

This is the beginning folks - it won't stop here. If this is allowed to stand - the envelope will keep getting pushed until we have Six Flags over Orlando.

Pete
Old 09-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #94
sceavis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterPete View Post
Okay - really??? People don't get drunk at Disney because the prices are too high? I beg to differ. But that notwithstanding - Walt Disney specifically said he never wanted alcohol in the Magic Kingdom - it needed to be a place for families. This is where the current batch of morons running WDW cross the line - thinking they're smart enough or clever enough to start messing with real legacy issues left behind by the man who had the vision.

This is the beginning folks - it won't stop here. If this is allowed to stand - the envelope will keep getting pushed until we have Six Flags over Orlando.

Pete
Thank you so much Pete people have forgot the vision Walt had !!!
sceavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #95
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Also, for what it's worth? What are we trying to prevent here, public drunkenness? There is no rule saying you can't drink around the World and then hop on a monorail and be drunk on Main St.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge resort not yet decided!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #96
JERME81
Do what you like, Like what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
Also, for what it's worth? What are we trying to prevent here, public drunkenness? There is no rule saying you can't drink around the World and then hop on a monorail and be drunk on Main St.
Good point. Also all the monorail resorts have places to eat that serve booze as well as pool bars and lounges. There are probably more people than you think that have booze in their systems walking around the Magic Kingdom.

AKV June 2014-can't wait!!
SSR January 2014
Allstar Vacation Home May 2013 & BWV Sept 2013
POR/AKV October 2012
CSR October 2011
POR/BCV November 2010
CSR April 2010
AKL September 2005, 2008, 2009
CBR December 2004
Disneyland Hotel March 2001
Offsite 1986
JERME81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #97
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERME81 View Post
Good point. Also all the monorail resorts have places to eat that serve booze as well as pool bars and lounges. There are probably more people than you think that have booze in their systems walking around the Magic Kingdom.

Hmm. Good points, but does that mean we encourage it by making sales inside the park itself? Doesn't this lend itself to selling alcohol at other areas in the MK? How would that impact the atmosphere of the park? As I said here, this opens a Pandora's Box of possibilities.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #98
JERME81
Do what you like, Like what you do

NikkiBell,

Maybe adding wine to the menu's will help improve the taste of some of the awful things being served in some of the restaurants.

AKV June 2014-can't wait!!
SSR January 2014
Allstar Vacation Home May 2013 & BWV Sept 2013
POR/AKV October 2012
CSR October 2011
POR/BCV November 2010
CSR April 2010
AKL September 2005, 2008, 2009
CBR December 2004
Disneyland Hotel March 2001
Offsite 1986
JERME81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #99
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
I agree, but I think there is something to there being a "mindset" that people know MK is dry so I think many respect that (not all of course) and for those who don't respect it and bring alcohol in, they are more careful and make an effort not to be obvious about it.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #100
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
NikkiBell,

Maybe adding wine to the menu's will help improve the taste of some of the awful things being served in some of the restaurants.
With this logic, I'm almost tempted to say it'd be okay to serve it at Cindy's castle restaurant.

Follow Me on Twitter

2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
Old 09-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #101
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

as posted in the other thread:

The utlimate irony: Building a nightlife entertainment district catering to the adult crowd. Closing it in favor of a more "family friendly" experience. Then allowing alcohol inside the flagship "family" park where Walt SPECIFICALLY didn't want alcohol served.

I really don't know why Disney is holding auditions for circus acts for FLE. They have a full blown circus act right at TDO(Team Disney Orlando)

In addition:
Disney has proven multiple times that they are a slippery slope. If I could trust that the environment will be controlled, that exits will be watched, and that the rules will be enforced, then it'd be a little bit easier, but the reality is I can't. Sure, they'll have someone at the doorway for what? 6 months? Then they'll get cheap and cut labor, next thing you know, no one is enforcing it. As far as I'm concerned it's the same situation with inappropriate Tshirts coming into the park. Only front entrance ops can tell a guest to turn a shirt inside out, yet they are watching 2-4 turnstiles at a time with people who can't figure out how to stick it in and put their finger on it. No wonder tshirts with the F word, hell, damn, and poo make their way into the parks. I see no reason to trust that alcohol will be entirely isolated to this location, nor do I trust the rule will be enforced by the CP who doesn't give a damn watching the door. All of this on top of the fact that Walt EXPLICITLY did not want alcohol in MK.

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #102
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulemara View Post

All of this on top of the fact that Walt EXPLICITLY did not want alcohol in MK.
As Skip has pointed out, there is no indication that Walt felt this way about Florida, and there's certainly no indication how he would feel close to 50 years after his death. Walt died before Bobby Kennedy died; it was a different world.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge resort not yet decided!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #103
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

I'll email Bob Gurr. I'm sure he has a lot to say on the issue.

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #104
whodini
Mouseketeer

I find some irony that people are outraged that Disney would let alcohol into another park and closer to children, yet in in Brooklyn the exact opposite is happening. Parents are outraged that they can no longer bring their children into a beer garden after 4 pm. http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1160216
It's just funny that there will always be someone outraged about something.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #105
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
As Skip has pointed out, there is no indication that Walt felt this way about Florida, and there's certainly no indication how he would feel close to 50 years after his death. Walt died before Bobby Kennedy died; it was a different world.
Actually, this is something that has been documented. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have read about it before in a book as well as spoke with someone at Disney Studios/Archives two years ago during my ABD trip. Walt specifically said that he did not want alcohol in either MKs. Club 33 was made the exception in DL due to its being a private club that is not open to the public. Florida's MK, though, does not have such a venue and all of the park was meant to stay "dry." This tradition has been in place since it opened in 1971.

Follow Me on Twitter

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: