Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #196
daraddg
DIS Veteran

think they should keep it dry and just serve root beer type drinks to keep with the theme,can people really not survive the day at the park without a drink? geeze hit the monorial and get your fix at one of the resorts and come back
Old 10-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #197
Ccann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daraddg
think they should keep it dry and just serve root beer type drinks to keep with the theme,can people really not survive the day at the park without a drink? geeze hit the monorial and get your fix at one of the resorts and come back
I tell my husband this "you can't survive one family event without a drink" lol!!!!

I don't mind that my husband has a cold beer with dinner, but I remember last time we went to Epcot he told me it was only with dinner then to see him outside buying at the carts... We didn't talk the rest if the night.. Mainly, we have two small kids and the trip was about family not just DH. Plus I could think of 100 other things that money could have gone to...

I don't mind it being served during meals I just don't want to see it at carts at MK. I wouldn't mind a fruity drink at dinner myself...

We are going in Nov and I bought a 200 dollar gift card for DH it's for his round of Golf and Beer once the gift card runs out so does the Tap...lol
Ccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #198
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalis4ever View Post

I also don't have an issue if an actual document was cited that stated Walt Disney never wished for alcohol to be sold in MK, it is my belief that things change and given that alcohol hasn't caused major behavioral issues at the other Disney Parks it's sold in there is no reason why it shouldn't be sold at MK. Not to mention increased alcohol sales, equal increase in profit which in theory results in growth, ride/attraction rehabs and ride/attraction developments.

Not to mention a Dole Whip with Rum would be absolutely delicious in the Florida sun while sitting on a bench at MK.
Another poster cited this interview on another thread. I thought I'd share.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #199
Justin Jett
I will do my Elvis impression at DAP, if Kevin will do a duet with me
I'm signed up and ready to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Another poster cited this interview on another thread. I thought I'd share.
I tried to let this drop, but........

While Walt does mention no drinks allowed in this interview, he was speaking of Disneyland. There is no mention of the Florida property.

My personal feeling is still that the ".....Against Walt's Wishes" is speculation based on Disneyland in the 50's and 60's......not fact, nor "common knowledge." I am still unable to find any evidence to support that Walt would forbid alcohol at Florida's Magic Kingdom.

Speaking of Disneyland, Walt does say
Quote:
No liquor, no beer, nothing. Because that brings in a rowdy element. That brings people that we don't want and I feel they don't need it. I feel when I go down to the park I don't need a drink.
If Walt was using park as a general term, that brings back one of my original questions......Why is alcohol served in the other 3 Florida parks, and the international parks? Why does the Food and Wine Festival even exist.....IN A PARK?????

Again, I have not yet found evidence of Walt forbidding alcohol in Florida's Magic Kingdom.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:53 AM   #200
Joshua_me
Today's Sustainable Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by daraddg View Post
can people really not survive the day at the park without a drink? geeze hit the monorial and get your fix at one of the resorts and come back
^ I'm sorry, but I find the above quote to be rather offensive.

I enjoy alcohol responsibly, and I especially enjoy it on vacation.

Hit the monorail and, "get your fix" ? That's uncalled for...

I can "survive" a day in the park without a drink, thank you very much, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy a couple of cold beers on a hot afternoon.

It's somewhat akin to, "could you survive the rest of your life without steak and lobster" ? Well, of course I could- but, why would I want to ?

This reminds me of a Ken Burns special I just watched on PBS entitled, "Prohibition". Basically, it comes down to two different kinds of people, the "Wet's" and the "Dry's"

If you consider yourself to be in the latter of those categories, that's fine. I'd be the first to support your beliefs.

But, please don't throw around terms like, "can't survive the day without a drink" and "hitting the monorail to 'get your fix' ".

That comes across as judgemental and "holier than thou", and *nothing* good has ever come from those viewpoints.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Joshua_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #201
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

Let's keep this a friendly discussion all. Please remember that arguing is against posting guidelines.

Follow Me on Twitter

2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
Old 10-03-2012, 01:30 AM   #202
Joshua_me
Today's Sustainable Fish

^ Understood, Nikki.

I chose my words *very* carefully when I wrote that post above, and deleted more than a couple of lines, believe me.

At any rate, I've made my opinion clear and won't be posting any longer in this thread.

I know it's a "touchy" subject here, to say the least.

Josh

-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #203
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_me View Post
^ Understood, Nikki.

I chose my words *very* carefully when I wrote that post above, and deleted more than a couple of lines, believe me.

At any rate, I've made my opinion clear and won't be posting any longer in this thread.

Josh
I thought your post was above reproach, carefully worded and not insulting at all.
I also agree with you completely.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #204
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Josh

Discussions of varying opinions are fine as long as they're done appropriately and not in an attacking way. Cheers!

Thanks for your understanding.

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 10-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #205
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

I'm more than a bit tired of the whole "it's not what Walt wanted" argument. Fortune 100 companies are not and should not be governed by the dead hand of their charismatic founders. Henry Ford once said that you could buy his car in any color you like...as long as it was black. Mustangs now come in more colors than are in a box of crayons. Thomas Edison was a pacifist. GE now makes missile systems. I don't know about you, but I don't want to invest my money, or trust in the future viability of any company that uses 60 year old corporate strategies, (or worse yet, off the cuff comments about having a glass of wine with dinner in an as-yet unbuilt amusement park), as its governing guidepost or its current mission statement. Just as much sky is going to fall from serving beer and wine during the dinner hour at BOG as has fallen from serving alcohol at The Brown Derby. Less, in fact, as at BOG, service will be limited to dinner only as opposed to lunch and dinner at BD. I don't know of anyone who has had their vacation ruined by the latter. We aren't talking about "drinking your way around the MK" here, so leave your Epcot comparisons at the door.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #206
joanjett1976
Shane in the study with the candlestick!
As a Disney geek you can truly feel Walt's touch in the park

I'm almost scared to enter such a hot topic but would like to give my point of view.

While I'm not naive and am fully aware that a large part of this decison is to boost Food & Bev revenue. Part of me also can't help but think that culturally and socially, we as a society and the average visitor are far removed from Walt's views on alcohol.

I'm French, my family is French. Not having a glass of wine with dinner can seem downright strange. We're not going to get hammered, heck we're usually not even going to finish the bottle. Soda pop is not something that is served at the table for children or adults. Different cultures, different customs.

I do honestly believe that international visitors and their increased presence do play a key role in theme park decision making. You can get a beer with your Mickey D's trio in France (mmmm, Royale with cheese ) and get served alcohol in many movie theatres in Europe.

Walt saw the seedy side of theme parks as they existed in the 50's and hated it. As do I! The seediness, the uncleaniless......the carnies (clutching my pearls)!!!! And yes booze was a big part of that.

I do also think that culturally, alcohol is no longer simply associated with a louche underworld of taverns and bootleggers. Yes, I am aware that the disease of alcoholism is a problem in many families & communities. But it often moves beyond that of mere buzz - these are welll crafted products, an artform in the same regard as the culinary arts.

And IMHO, thematically, it fits within the confines of the B.O.G restaurant. Now, mind you, my opinion would not be the same should they be offering gallon margaritas and cans of miller lite

Again, just my piece of mind!
Nov 2013 WDW Yacht-AKL, Aug 2012 Disneyland, Jan 2012 WDW WL, July 2011 Disneyland, Oct 2010 WDW Swan, April 2010 DL Paris, Jan 2010 Disneyland, April 2009 DL Paris, Jan 2008 Paradise Pier Disneyland, Oct 2007 DL Paris, Sept 2007 POFQ, May 2007 Grand Californian Disneyland, April 2007 DL Paris, Feb 2007 Disney Wonder & POP, Oct 2006 MNSSHP/F&W @ POP, Oct 2006 DL Paris, May 2006 2 weeks @ POP, April 2006 DL Paris, January 2006 Disneyland, January 2006 30th Bday POP/AKL, Oct 2005 DL Paris, June 2005 POFQ, Feb 2005 Disneyland, Aug 2004 POFQ, 1983-1984-1986-1988-1989-1991-1994: Off Site, July 1980: 4 Years Old: 1st Trip To WDW

joanjett1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:56 AM   #207
Joshua_me
Today's Sustainable Fish

So, now that alcohol has been on the menu at BOG for several weeks, I'm wondering if any one's opinion of alcohol being served at the MK has changed, improved, evolved or worsened in the past couple of months.

I don't mean to "poke the bear" on this topic, but I'm genuinely interested in every one's thoughts on the matter.

Anyone ?

-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 02-20-2013, 06:23 AM   #208
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
So, now that alcohol has been on the menu at BOG for several weeks, I'm wondering if any one's opinion of alcohol being served at the MK has changed, improved, evolved or worsened in the past couple of months.
You mean you didn't see the news story about the total destruction of the MK?

Seriously, its a good question and I'm glad you raised it. I can't say I've noticed a difference but then again I've probably only been in the MK once for a few hours since BOG opened and even then it wasn't at night when they were serving alcohol.

I'm hoping the deafening silence is the same reaction when the MSB reopens.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #209
nikjd68
Mouseketeer

Question: when the park opened, could you smoke on rides? Could you smoke while walking around the parks?

Did anyone comment that Walt, who died of lung cancer, was "spinning in his grave" when smoking was restricted?

Times change.
nikjd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #210
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

We had dinner at BoG during the first week it was open. Although we did not choose to purchase any wine or beer with that dinner, other tables did.
I did not see anyone stumbling out of the restaurant or wreaking havoc throughout the Kingdom! (What's to stop them from coming off the monorail like that anyway? )

The park was just as festive and energetic as always during the holidays.

I think the overwhelming silence is your answer!

And Jeff, I agree- I hope we get the same silence when the MSB reopens.

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: