Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #151
Justin Jett
I will do my Elvis impression at DAP, if Kevin will do a duet with me
I'm signed up and ready to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
well walt wishes was also not to have cms with visible disabilities working in front of guest until a couple cms sued.
Now, there's a horse of a different color.

Is there information about the lawsuit available? I can understand Walt's decision, given the times. I am just interested in learning more.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #152
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Jett View Post
Now, there's a horse of a different color.

Is there information about the lawsuit available? I can understand Walt's decision, given the times. I am just interested in learning more.
i am looking for more info but cant find it right now will keep looking because it hard to find lawduits that far back. Also every time i pitnin walt disney or his full name all i get are more recent lawsuits. I found that out about it by talking to some cms at mnsshp party one year.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by disney david; 09-17-2012 at 10:22 PM.
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #153
Justin Jett

Quote:
i am looking for more info i found that out talking to some cms one had a cane and said she would be able to work in the emporium back then because of walts guidelines. And that some cms sued and they changed it and allowed them to work in area with guests. I still can't find any more but will keep looking wish i remember more she said their was four cms that did. we was on line for pins for the hollween show and she was kinda out their almost got into a fight with a guest cutting in line but had to remind herself she works across the street. Their was also a cm who worked at wilderness lodge it was a good night listening to their complaints about disney and one who loves working at wilderness lodge but was upset they might move him to a postion he couldn't interact with guest. But learned a lot of things both of them.
Very interesting......this is the first I have ever heard of this, and I have been through Traditions.

I wonder if Cheshire Figment has any information.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #154
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Jett

Very interesting......this is the first I have ever heard of this, and I have been through Traditions.

I was going off what the cms was saying one of them might have been a little bitter. Well after getting suspended and a letter saying you no longer work for Disney not sure how happy I be but when she said it it made sense. Because he other cms was talking about getting injured and having to haveing a dr from Disney approve a brace that his dr told he needed to wear so he could wear it with his uniform. So we asked more question and she told us this and how other cms was giving a hard time with medical equipment but she could be wrong and I could been wrong. Because not every cm tells the truth but both seemed to say the same thing.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #155
Justin Jett

Quote:
I was going off what the cms was saying one of them might have been a little bitter. Well after getting suspended and a letter saying you no longer work for Disney not sure how happy I be but when she said it it made sense. Because he other cms was talking about getting injured and having to haveing a dr from Disney approve a brace that his dr told he needed to wear so he could wear it with his uniform. So we asked more question and she told us this and how other cms was giving a hard time with medical equipment but she could be wrong and I could been wrong. Because not every cm tells the truth but both seemed to say the same thing.
When I worked at Disney in 1997.....they were concerned with the look of the chair, so I can believe that.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #156
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Jett

When I worked at Disney in 1997.....they were concerned with the look of the chair, so I can believe that.
Yeah what they both was saying made sense so when they brought up the law suit I figured it also made sense. Because back when Disneyland opened it was a different time it not like it is now where no company could get away with putting workers in wheelchairs in jobs out of guest sight.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #157
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

Against my better judgment, I continue to read updates to this thread. Kevin is absolutely right - alcohol is being demonized for some unknown reason. Someone referred to John Lasseter as a pusher because he makes wine... I just have to shake my head.

And the question no one seems to answer, regardless of how many times it is asked -- do you not go to Epcot, DHS, AK, CA, etc., and keep your kids away from those places, because alcohol is sold there? Or are those parks not "for kids" or a "child's fantasy land", so it's okay for people to drink there?
MK is not just for kids. I am an adult, I don't have kids, and MK is my favorite park. Kids do not have a monopoly on enjoying MK.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #158
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Jett View Post

I have not heard of a lawsuit.
It would not surprise me if Disney wanted a certain 'look' which might not include people with certain disabilities.
But, when Disneyland opened,most people with disabilities were pretty 'invisible'. Many with severe disabilities were in communal living situation, even as young children. And, many did not have the money to travel. Since there were no laws saying people with disabilities had to be educated, many were not included in regular school classrooms.

But, I have to say that we have noticed people with visible disabilities working at WDW since our first trip with someone in a wheelchair in 1987, so if someone says people with disABILITIES working there is a recent thing, they re not correct.
There are more (many more) now, but there were some earlier.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #159
Justin Jett

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
It would not surprise me if Disney wanted a certain 'look' which might not include people with certain disabilities.
But, when Disneyland opened,most people with disabilities were pretty 'invisible'. Many with severe disabilities were in communal living situation, even as young children. And, many did not have the money to travel. Since there were no laws saying people with disabilities had to be educated, many were not included in regular school classrooms.

But, I have to say that we have noticed people with visible disabilities working at WDW since our first trip with someone in a wheelchair in 1987, so if someone says people with disABILITIES working there is a recent thing, they re not correct.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:05 AM   #160
Justin Jett

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
As Skip has pointed out, there is no indication that Walt felt this way about Florida, and there's certainly no indication how he would feel close to 50 years after his death.
I have been searching for days, and still have not found evidence to support the "Walt's Wishes" claims. I am not saying that it is not true. I am just skeptical due to lack of evidence to support the claims. With that said.....I just read Pete's post. The fact that Pete says it is true brings more credibility to the "Walt's Wishes" issue in my mind.

To me.....seeing is believing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Actually, this is something that has been documented.
The documentation is very hard to find. You even admitted that you cannot cite an exact source. You did say you heard it in a conversation. Without supporting documentation, a conversation could be fact, myth, or urban legend.

You mentioned in an earlier post that this is "common knowledge among Disney fans." Something common should not be this hard to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
I guess I'm confused by all of the "this is what Walt wanted" sentiment when nothing is said when other things that seem to go against "what Walt wanted" happen.
While I totally understand people not wanting alcohol to be served in a theme park, I am also confused by people getting upset speculation about "Walt's Wishes" for the Florida property.

People have mentioned that this information is referenced during the Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic trips. The fact that you have been on some of the Backstage Magic trips, and you are confused by the "Walt's Wishes" issue makes me wonder.

I have heard from 2 people that I trust that Walt did not want alcohol in Florida's Magic Kingdom. Others have questioned it. Without documentation to support one side or the other, I cannot say either way.

Nikki said that Walt did not want alcohol sold in Florida's Magic Kingdom in 2012. If there is documentation to support that.....then absolutely, alcohol should not be sold in the Magic Kingdom! However, without documentation, I personally am lead to believe that this is speculation, based on Disneyland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Still, the question remains...should a visionary's opinion on an issue like this be upheld? In my opinion, most definitely.
Steve Jobs did not want to change the screen size on the iPhone.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:40 AM   #161
Joshua_me
Today's Sustainable Fish

*sniff* *sniff*

What's that I smell ? A thread that's about to be locked ?

Yeah, probably. But, let me get these two points in...

1) As any High School debate team knows, the "slippery slope" argument is an easy way out. A cheat, at best.

To wit:

"We'd better not do this now or next year we could all be attacked by hungry grizzly bears."

"Well, golly, I don't want to be attacked by hungry grizzly bears, so I guess it's for the best that we not do it."

Puh-leeze.

What's the actual "slippery slope" that we are talking about, here ?

First, beer and wine in Fantasyland, next year an opium den in Liberty Square.

C'mon now, that's silly and I would hope that all of you know that.

2) Walt's wishes didn't include $600 a night hotel rooms or grossly over-priced, sub-par hamburgers, but we all seem to be OK with that...

To vaguely echo Kevin's thoughts, I don't understand this demonization of alcohol. The "Food and Wine Festival" is celebrated, but a martini at Tony's Town Square would be the end of the "world" ?

I guess I just don't get it.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Joshua_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:03 AM   #162
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN

They was talking about Disney land when Walt Disney was still alive.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:14 AM   #163
gmboy95
Go Patriots!!!!!

This is much ado about nothing IMO......if u are going to charge the prices they do in these MK resteraunts, then the adult paying those prices ought to be able to avail themselves of a cocktail or two at dinner!

DVC Member VWL, OKW, HH!!! Since 2001
gmboy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #164
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

One of the great things about our community here on the DIS is that it offers individuals the opportunity to share their thoughts about a variety of topics including those that some people have very strong opinions about; this is one such case. I've been enjoying the discussion, but feel that it does have the potential to cross a line similar to posts others are passionate about (politics, religion, the segway debate, etc.).

As long as the conversation is kept to its original focus (see the first post) and remains respectful, it will remain open.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:20 AM   #165
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesAPirate View Post
Someone referred to John Lasseter as a pusher because he makes wine... I just have to shake my head.
Anything that John Lasseter has been involved with in the past few years, he has used to push/market his wine. So, yes! He pushes his wine.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: