Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #61
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

How would you pronounce this child's name?: "Le-a"

Leah?? NO
Lee - A?? NOPE
Lay - a?? NO
Lei?? Guess again.
This child attends a school in Kansas City, MO.
Her mother is irate because everyone is getting her name wrong.
It's pronounced "Ledasha".
When the mother was asked about the pronunciation of the name, she said,

"The dash don't be silent."

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #62
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink
How would you pronounce this child's name?: "Le-a"

Leah?? NO
Lee - A?? NOPE
Lay - a?? NO
Lei?? Guess again.
This child attends a school in Kansas City, MO.
Her mother is irate because everyone is getting her name wrong.
It's pronounced "Ledasha".
When the mother was asked about the pronunciation of the name, she said,

"The dash don't be silent."
I was wondering when this was going to show up. Lemonjello should be right along too.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #63
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

OP, I knew I had seen "Biehle" somewhere before, and I was correct: on a road sign. It is a very tiny town in Perry County, MO, which was founded in 1876, and named for the usual reason: that was the original postmaster's surname. Biehle actually isn't all that uncommon, it turns out; it's a German surname. Google it and you'll get a fair number of hits. It may well be a family name from somewhere in the young man's family.

Also, just FYI, Micheal is perfectly correct: it's Irish. (Technically it is supposed to be spelled with fadas in it: Mícheál, but these days most people have dropped them because computers make that too complicated to type.) It is pronounced Mee-haul, and we have too many to count in my family.

RE the Chasity travesty; I encountered someone who named his daughter that back in the early seventies. (There are a whole bunch of them around here for some reason.) The story I was told is that they wanted to name the child Chastity (inspired by Chastity Bono, who was a really cute little blond moppet back then), but were convinced by family that Chastity would inspire teasing because of the pronunciation of the second/third syllables, so they dropped the first T on purpose. Even though I've always felt it is kind of squicky to name a girl Chastity, it is one of the "Virtue" names like Charity and Patience, so it's traditional. Chasity, otoh, is just ... odd.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #64
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

We could start on different pronunciations too, even of last names.

I used to do a lot of announcing of Little League tournaments.......I had a kid on each team with the last name Garcia.
I ALWAYS check with parents in the stands to check pronunciations.......one kid pronounced it GAR-SEE-AH. The other GAR-SHA. Best part, they were cousins, their dads were brothers. Love to know the story there.

And President Carter's Chief of Staff....Hamilton Jordan........pronounced his last name Jur-dan nor Jor-dan......which I hear is not uncommong in the south.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #65
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
OP, I knew I had seen "Biehle" somewhere before, and I was correct: on a road sign. It is a very tiny town in Perry County, MO, which was founded in 1876, and named for the usual reason: that was the original postmaster's surname. Biehle actually isn't all that uncommon, it turns out; it's a German surname. Google it and you'll get a fair number of hits. It may well be a family name from somewhere in the young man's family.

Also, just FYI, Micheal is perfectly correct: it's Irish. (Technically it is supposed to be spelled with fadas in it: Mícheál, but these days most people have dropped them because computers make that too complicated to type.) It is pronounced Mee-haul, and we have too many to count in my family.

RE the Chasity travesty; I encountered someone who named his daughter that back in the early seventies. (There are a whole bunch of them around here for some reason.) The story I was told is that they wanted to name the child Chastity (inspired by Chastity Bono, who was a really cute little blond moppet back then), but were convinced by family that Chastity would inspire teasing because of the pronunciation of the second/third syllables, so they dropped the first T on purpose. Even though I've always felt it is kind of squicky to name a girl Chastity, it is one of the "Virtue" names like Charity and Patience, so it's traditional. Chasity, otoh, is just ... odd.
The bold makes a lot of sense and explains why the guy I know is 2nd or 3rd generation with that spelling as I know his background is Irish and likely the name/spelling passed down in the family and the fadas was dropped over time.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #66
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post

I am 100% Irish and we named our son MichAEl Patrick. That spelling 'AE' is Hebrew. It was our choice to spell it the Hebrew way and not the Irish way. I can honestly tell you I never see it the EA way.

KAR

momrek06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:10 AM   #67
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

Quote:
Originally Posted by emer95 View Post
I walked into the 3rd grade class next to mine and saw "Autum" written on a name tag. I said to the teacher (my friend) "Oh, you misspelled this girl's name." She raised her eyebrows at me and said, "No, her parents misspelled her name." I know it isn't as crazy as some of the cre8tive spellings out there, but it irks me to no end. Every time I see her name, I am dying to write an "n" on the end.

I was walking by a locker today and saw the name, "Kharisma." Can you imagine that poor child introducing herself?
We have a Karma at our school. I always ask the teacher--"Good karma or bad karma", LOL.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #68
blana
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
Around here, everyone specifies 'with an h' or just 'I'm Jewish' as then you know it has an 'h'.
Hmm. I have a friend Sara who is Jewish. No H in her name, though....
Old 09-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #69
Erin1700
At least I am bragging about using soap!

My DD said they are getting a new student in one of her classes and the teacher didn't know how to say her name. Luckily the child (gr 6) was not there yet when the class tried to figure out how her name was pronounced.
It was something like Kuahlya.
Best they could come up with was Kayla.
She starts today so they will find out!
Erin1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #70
blana
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernmiss View Post
2 years ago, my 90 year old grandmother wanted me to help her get her birth certificate corrected.

In the 1970s she had her brother request her birth certificate for her that she had never had. (Their mother had died when my grandmother was 9 years old and their father died in the 1960s.) On the birth certificate it had a middle name that she never knew and it was probably misspelled!

When the dr. had filed her birth record with the state 90 years earlier, his handwriting was illegible and the official name picked up was weird. My grandmother never even knew that name as she always went by her baptismal name as a middle name.

I am a genealogy buff and think the middle name should have been her grandmother's name. A common name at the time.

Here's the kicker. To change the name, the state wanted a statement from the doctor, her parent's, or someone who knew her from birth!! She's 90 years old--there's no one left!! So finally with some of her legal documents marriage license, baptismal certificate and a notarized statement the state changed her official middle name to the one she went by all those years.
Dh's grandafather (96), when he was in the service, was required to get his birth certificate. And found out that his parents never officially named him. The name portion of the birth certificate was blank. (The people at the county clerks office assumed it was for a child who died immediately after birth.) Since his parents both died when he was a child, there was no one to vouch for him to allow him to change it. He's very proud of his blank birth certificate....
Old 09-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #71
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blana View Post
Hmm. I have a friend Sara who is Jewish. No H in her name, though....
Really? That's a totally new one on me. I've never heard of a Jewish Sarah who spelled it without an 'h.' Have heard of non-Jews who use the 'h' but not the other way round. Did she like, convert? Heh.

Quote:
My DD said they are getting a new student in one of her classes and the teacher didn't know how to say her name. Luckily the child (gr 6) was not there yet when the class tried to figure out how her name was pronounced.
It was something like Kuahlya.
Best they could come up with was Kayla.
She starts today so they will find out!
I'm voting for a drunken misspelling of 'Kahlua,' with the added 'y' for extra trendy stupidity.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #72
spacemountainmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emer95 View Post
I walked into the 3rd grade class next to mine and saw "Autum" written on a name tag. I said to the teacher (my friend) "Oh, you misspelled this girl's name." She raised her eyebrows at me and said, "No, her parents misspelled her name." I know it isn't as crazy as some of the cre8tive spellings out there, but it irks me to no end. Every time I see her name, I am dying to write an "n" on the end.

I was walking by a locker today and saw the name, "Kharisma." Can you imagine that poor child introducing herself?
When I worked at the middle school, we had a student named Kharisma. She will be joining me at the high school next year.

I guess my grandma's birth certificate showed her first name as E. She used to joke that she could pick any E name she wanted.

spacemountainmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #73
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
I did not know that every one was required to have a middle name I thought it was up to the parent
Neither my father or I have a middle name. It was not good back in the 70s when monogramming items was popular and I didn't have enough initials. Getting married solved that problem, as my maiden name is now my middle.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #74
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
You said you want to get a copy of the birth certificate..did you find it online doing a genealogy search and you know for certain it is you? How interesting is that! I wonder if your Mom decided to amend your birth certificate later in life to give you a "full" name of Katherine later on?
It's definitely me. Same date, same hospital, I don't have a common last name either. I asked my dad but he had no clue. I don't think my mom wanted to amend it. She passed away when I was 10 so I can't ask her. Kinda neat though. Curious to see the whole document.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #75
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
....MY name's Cgylhnm.....it's pronounced "Kim"
Disclaimer:....it's REALLY spelled CKgylhnm, but I didn't want to confuse anyone....
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: