Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #16
Breezy_Carol
Who needs doors when you can use windows
Bugged by ticks
I had a dog that ate wood screws once

Quote:
Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
My DS' gf … while they are not young … 25yo … her name is KAITLIN.
I know a Kaitlin so didn't know that was an unusual spelling.

DD is named SARAH. Not unusual but as a child when she was asked her name, her response was "Sarah with an H."

Breezy_Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #17
goofinoff
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
I feel like we are in the middle of A Very Brady Idol

I have a very common name but it's spelled differently. I don't want to put my first name or how it's spelled on here. I am named after my fathers cousin and my mom took the spelling of her name as well. There were 3 of us in my graduating class with the same first name and we all spelled it differently which I liked.
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #18
Rylee
DIS Veteran

This reminds me...

A few years ago, I was in a kindergarten classroom for orientation when I overheard the teacher approach Lil' Mikey's parents.

Teacher: On your way out, you need to stop by the office and have them correct the spelling of Michael's first name.

Father: It is correct.

Teacher: No, it's not correct, they have it spelled Micheal, and that typo appears on all his official paperwork.

Father: It's correct, that's how we spell it. My name is Michael, and when I was born, my mother didn't know how to spell and she got the A & E mixed up. We wanted to name our son after me, so we spelled it incorrectly, too.

Teacher: *speechless*

The funny thing is, her parents owned a local Italian restaurant named...
Michael's.

&

Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #19
scbelleatheart
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker725 View Post
Oh my gravy, the apostrophes just KILL me. I hate them.
My DD's middle name is Mari' (Marie) it is her 83 year old grandmothers name.
scbelleatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #20
disneycrazi
watch your head and step as you disembark

Ok maybe not strange spelling but here is a real childs name....Tequlia Braizzere! Yes that was her first and middle names! Also a set of boy twins...Albino and Albino.....no difference in spelling just pronunciation. One was a long "i" sound and the other was a short "i" sound!!!!
(2003 Day Trip) (2009 April All Star Movies) (2009 September Port Orleans Riverside) (2010 April Caribbean Beach) (2010 Sept Grand Gathering POFQ) (2011 Jan Contemporary) (2011 April All Star Music) (2011 July POP Century) (2012 January All Star Sports)
(2012 Feb One More Disney Day Coronado Springs)
(2012 Sept Animal Kingdom Jambo) (2013 March Old Key West) (2013 October Art Of Animation, Polynesian)
(2014 April off site Fountains Resort)
disneycrazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #21
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
I think it's a generational thing. The Hippies named their kids Rainbow and Sunshine and those kids grew up and rebelled by naming their kids Jennifer and Michael. That generation grew up and started naming their kids names like the ones posted in this thread. Just wait another 10-15 years and I'm sure it will go the other way.
I don't think so, I think people just can't spell.
I work with a Mellisa and an Eriika (instead of Melissa and Erika). In both cases their moms were so tired after long labors they spelled their names wrong on the birth certificate forms. And in both cases, they had been spelling their names the traditional way until they went to get their first driver's licenses, and discovered the spelling difference. Their own mom's didn't know until then either.
There is a checker at our grocery store named Airika. Don't know the story behind that spelling.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #22
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Arik is the Greek (I think it's Greek) way to spell Eric, so Airika is probably a play off of that. We have different names but not that different, I'm Kerri, I have a Cassidy (I wanted to spell it Casaide but her Dad said no, our family heritage is Irish and I liked it but he didn't), I have a Jade, DBF is Micah, yup, all different but that different. lol DD12 has a friend named Kalyn, that was new to me but I like it, we have friends with Dylan/Dillon/Dyllon, the last one is the "weird" one imo. My niece is MaKenzie, we call her Kenz.
I don't like the - or the random ' in so many names now, it just gets on my nerves. LOL

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #23
Peanut Giggleface
Embarrassing my children... just another service I provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieO View Post
Yes, some people give their children what I refer to as "mis-spelled" names but I'll get down to brass tacks here & say I know for a fact that human resource managers weed out the "bad ones" as they look through resumes/job applications. They include but are not limited to: Britnee, Taeler, Shanighya, Kloey, Psymon, Kristofer. Thoser parents should be arrested for child abuse.
I can vouch for this as I worked in HR for some time. But it's not just HR people who screen these names out. I came across a resume for a person who had all the qualifications for a position we were having difficulty in filling. I showed the resume to the department manager and he took one look at the guy's name and said no way - wouldn't even consider him.
Peanut Giggleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #24
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy_Carol View Post
I know a Kaitlin so didn't know that was an unusual spelling.

DD is named SARAH. Not unusual but as a child when she was asked her name, her response was "Sarah with an H."
Around here, everyone specifies 'with an h' or just 'I'm Jewish' as then you know it has an 'h'.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #25
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
I think it's a generational thing. The Hippies named their kids Rainbow and Sunshine and those kids grew up and rebelled by naming their kids Jennifer and Michael. That generation grew up and started naming their kids names like the ones posted in this thread. Just wait another 10-15 years and I'm sure it will go the other way.
Not all the hippies and not all the Jennifers and Michaels I have an extremely common first name (and hippy parents..I was apparently close to being named Harmony so I am a bit grateful )..as in I was always known as First Name, Last Initial in class (Freshman year of high school there were 4 of us..3 of us with the exact same first and middle name combo) and I gave my kids classic names with normal classic spellings.

I am so not a fan of cr8tive spellings and feel bad for those kids have have to say "no it's B-e-i-h-l-e" for the rest of their life. In my Moms years of teaching she said it got to the point that they would say their name is "Bob" and she would make them spell it because you seriously never knew what interesting spelling they might have..even for a common name that would wouldn't think had a variation (for example someone told me they saw an Ehvyn once..that was supposed to be "Evan" )
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #26
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
Well, I'll admit that one of my children's name is Christofer. But I don't think that's too bad, and he loves that it's spelled that way.
I remember feeling duped when Topher from That 70's show admitted his real name was Christopher!

I don't think that's so out there at least I could pronounce it if I saw it spelled with the F.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #27
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylee View Post
This reminds me...

A few years ago, I was in a kindergarten classroom for orientation when I overheard the teacher approach Lil' Mikey's parents.

Teacher: On your way out, you need to stop by the office and have them correct the spelling of Michael's first name.

Father: It is correct.

Teacher: No, it's not correct, they have it spelled Micheal, and that typo appears on all his official paperwork.

Father: It's correct, that's how we spell it. My name is Michael, and when I was born, my mother didn't know how to spell and she got the A & E mixed up. We wanted to name our son after me, so we spelled it incorrectly, too.

Teacher: *speechless*

The funny thing is, her parents owned a local Italian restaurant named...
Michael's.
I know a Micheal and I can still remember us getting set up in a new office and me having to call the people who set up emails because they "fixed" the spelling back to Michael yet our email had to have our legal name..his legal name is with the "ea" vs "ae" and he is also at least 2nd if not 3rd generation with that spelling.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #28
Disneyluvr
DIS Veteran

there is a kid in the class next to mine and his name is...... Eligahjah
pronounced. . . . . . . .

Elijah
Disneyluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #29
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyluvr View Post
there is a kid in the class next to mine and his name is...... Eligahjah
pronounced. . . . . . . .

Elijah
Gah...I can't even see how phonetically that is Elijah.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #30
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

My name is Brittany vrs Brittney

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: