Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California) > Disneyland Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Thumbs down Luigi's flying tires is a ridiculous ride and should be replaced!!

First of all, this ride is just the flying saucer ride rehashed again and those were a big failure. I don't understand why disney decided to bring back a ride that didn't work the first time around. Not only is the turnaround on this ride ridiculously slow so the lines are always slow and huge, but the ride itself is a coma-inducing ride to boot! Even my 6 year old son thought it was boring. We have to lean in order to go anywhere and that's not very fun. The ride is super slow, doesn't last long and the whole throwing beach balls at each other idea is absurd! I heard they recently got rid of the balls so now you are just sitting there trying to lean here and there. It's not even like they are bumper cars. Just useless. I think they should take that ride out asap and come up with a better idea. The Mater ride is great. Lines go fast and the ride is fun. They need to go back to the drawing board with this one.
Disneyland (hundreds of times) Disneyland Hotel 6/2005 & 12/2005 Disney Fairytale Wedding at Disneyland 6/2005; Walt Disney World 2/2004, 6/2005, 5/2012; Port Orleans Riverside 2/2004 & 6/2005; All Star Movies Resort 5/2012; Disney Wonder 6/2005; Disney Dream 4/2012
fairytalelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
chrissiecutie
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that feels this way! I haven't ridden it yet & probably won't! But I just don't understand this ride?? It didn't work at DL why would it work now?

Son's 1st Disneyland Trip 8/14-8/23/2008
DH Got a Job Celebratory Trip 5/29-6/2/2010
Surprise Birthday Trip for DS 2/26-3/5/2011
Halloween Trip 10/1/2012-10/4/2012

25+ Year Disneyland Vet
1st trip in 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2011
chrissiecutie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiecutie View Post
It didn't work at DL why would it work now?
Exactly!
Disneyland (hundreds of times) Disneyland Hotel 6/2005 & 12/2005 Disney Fairytale Wedding at Disneyland 6/2005; Walt Disney World 2/2004, 6/2005, 5/2012; Port Orleans Riverside 2/2004 & 6/2005; All Star Movies Resort 5/2012; Disney Wonder 6/2005; Disney Dream 4/2012
Old 09-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
kolohe_lady
Princess, nuthin'! I wanna be Queen!

I dunno, I thought it was fun and giggled like a maniac every time. My fam and I liked the challenge of who could bump into who the most times or get going the fastest. But we're competitive people who turn everything into a contest anyway
kolohe_lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiecutie View Post
I'm so glad I'm not the only one that feels this way! I haven't ridden it yet & probably won't! But I just don't understand this ride?? It didn't work at DL why would it work now?
I thought it would work, because the technology is 50 years or more advanced than the first time around. It is not like they could have built Radiator Springs Racers back then.

That said, I have not tried it yet, I will be there in about 10 days, and I will see how it goes!
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=PatMcDuck;46147745]I thought it would work, because the technology is 50 years or more advanced than the first time around. [QUOTE]

Well you would think so but it's EXACTLY the same thing with the same EXACT technology as the Flying Saucers. All they did was make the saucers look like tires. Lame.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Our family enjoys it. We like to see how fast we can get it going when we find an opening. For that reason, I'm glad the beach balls are gone. They made it so that there was no room to move. We just treat it like bumper cars, running into everyone. Last time we rode it, it was smiles all around from the people on the ride.
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskigrl View Post
Our family enjoys it. We like to see how fast we can get it going when we find an opening. For that reason, I'm glad the beach balls are gone. They made it so that there was no room to move. We just treat it like bumper cars, running into everyone. Last time we rode it, it was smiles all around from the people on the ride.
But they dont go very fast. They are slow. There is no point to this ride.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
jetskigrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytalelover View Post
We had no problem getting some speed (and we have seen others go pretty fast as well). We could go from one side of the area to the other very fast if no one was in the way..and that is part of the fun, finding the holes and then sipping past people. That is why I'm glad the beach balls are gone. They would make the area too congested to get any speed. We have ridden it both with the beach balls and without, and it is so much better without. It isn't like a roller coaster type of speed, but definitely fast enough to make us smile.

I think the problem is that there is a learning curve to making them go and for most people that only get to ride it once or twice, they won't be able to master that learning curve. The more you ride, the better you get at controlling them (and the ability to make them go faster).
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
Old 09-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Hey, Jetskigirl, let me ask you. Is it better to ride alone vs in a pair? I am going with another adult, and I think I want my own tire, so it is lighter. And so I do not have to coordinate my leaning with someone else.

I saw John Lassiter talk about this ride (at the D23 last August). He indicated that it was improved technology, and that is why it was time to bring this ride back. Obviously, it is a ride he loved as a kid. (that said, HE got to test it with only 2-3 tires on the course!)
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskigrl View Post

I think the problem is that there is a learning curve to making them go and for most people that only get to ride it once or twice, they won't be able to master that learning curve. The more you ride, the better you get at controlling them (and the ability to make them go faster).
The more we ride??? The lines are always so slow and long that we would never even bother getting in line. A ride like this is not worth the humongous wait times. And there is a learning curve? Honestly, a ride that has a "learning curve" is not a ride that will last long because the average family will not go on it that much on a vacation. It's not like the lines are short and you can go on it over and over again, to experience the learning curve.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
jetskigrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMcDuck View Post
Hey, Jetskigirl, let me ask you. Is it better to ride alone vs in a pair? I am going with another adult, and I think I want my own tire, so it is lighter. And so I do not have to coordinate my leaning with someone else.

I saw John Lassiter talk about this ride (at the D23 last August). He indicated that it was improved technology, and that is why it was time to bring this ride back. Obviously, it is a ride he loved as a kid. (that said, HE got to test it with only 2-3 tires on the course!)
I have always ridden with my DS but he doesn't weigh very much so I'm not sure if he makes as much of a difference as two adults. Sometimes he will just look around for which direction we should go in and I do the majority of the leaning. My DH has ridden alone and he seems to be able to get it going really well.

The key is coordination so that you are leaning just the right amount. If you do not lean far enough, you won't get the speed. But if you lean too far, you will bottom out. And if you are leaning in opposite directions, you won't go anywhere So in that respect, a single adult can probably control it better.

Also, stay with the lean. There is a delay in the beginning where it doesn't seem to be moving much, but if you keep leaning, it will pick up speed. So don't give up and try to go a different direction if it does start moving immediately...commit to the lean...

I hope that helps

Next Up:
Old 09-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
jetskigrl

Quote:
The more we ride??? The lines are always so slow and long that we would never even bother getting in line. A ride like this is not worth the humongous wait times. And there is a learning curve? Honestly, a ride that has a "learning curve" is not a ride that will last long because the average family will not go on it that much on a vacation. It's not like the lines are short and you can go on it over and over again, to experience the learning curve.
Well, you are obviously disappointed in the ride so there is no point in trying to change your mind. I respect that. But I don't agree it is a worthless ride. It is new and there are long lines now. But when the next new thing comes along, the lines will shorten so it won't be as hard to ride it multiple times.

We had it down by the end of the first ride, but we paid really close attention to the signs and the CM that explained it. If people don't do that, then it can take longer to learn it (if they even try to). But as you said, the long line and not getting it down the first time will discourage people from trying it again.

This ride is somewhat unique in that it requires the rider to participate instead of just sit there. Some will like that, some won't. Some people like rides that spin, some don't. But I would not call the teacups a worthless ride just because I don't enjoy it.

Next Up:
Old 09-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #14
Jacie
Disney Obsessed!

Quote:
jetskigirl isn't the one who made the ride, so I think being rude to her because she likes it and you don't is uncalled for.
Not everyone likes every ride. I can't stand several rides at Disney- the Ferris Wheel for instance. If I wanted to ride a Ferris wheel, I'd go to the carnival. BUT other people enjoy it. Heck, I think Epcot is boring as can be, and wouldn't shed a tear if they demolished all of it, but other people adore it and that's just fine.

You don't like it, you rode it once- earlier on, it sounds like (When the ride was at it's newest, still working out bugs, plus Cars Land is still busy and congested as can be.) You're not willing to give it another chance. Okay. We get it.
2011- May- Star Wars Weekends- Just Daddy and Mommy! First WDW trip for Mommy!
2011- November- All Star Movies- First WDW trip for the kids, first resort stay!
2012- October- Flying back to the West Coast to go to Disneyland! Can't wait to be back to my home park!
2013- May- Star Wars Weekends- Just Daddy and Mommy again!
2013- September- Family trip back to WDW for MNSSHP! Staying in the LM area at AoA!

Jacie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #15
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They can indeed go fast. We experienced both during the same ride. When we got it right, we sped across the place. When we got it wrong, it was like getting stuck in a bumper car area. It seems you guys never hit that sweet spot, but don't say you can't go fast just b/c you didn't, because you can.

Quote:
And there is a learning curve? Honestly, a ride that has a "learning curve" is not a ride that will last long because the average family will not go on it that much on a vacation.
I like a ride that's a bit interactive. DH and DS love going on the teacups, to try to spin it as fast as possible in hopes that I'll throw up. (I'm not sure they've thought that through, since I'd be throwing up *on them*) Their strategy for this has changed and continues to change, as DS grows up and DH loses weight.

I don't mind a learning curve on a ride.

The one time we went on Luigi's, the line was shorter than I've experienced in my two times on Mater. And didn't involve my son nearly breaking his cheek bone, like we experienced on Mater! (Disney, pad those seat sides!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: