Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #46
cypressmom
Love my Disney vacations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post
No offense (truly), but why should the OP rethink their opinion on this? If they didn't like it, they didn't like it. Enough said. It's not a moral issue, it's an issue of expectations. I would have been weirded out by it, as well (although I've only been on the Fantasy and Dream, so that really would be weird, I think!). I would find it odd to have anyone banging on the window of a nice restaurant where my husband and I were dining. But that's just me (and possibly the OP) and that, I believe, was the point of the post. To paraphrase: "I noticed this and thought it was strange. Did anyone else? Should I always expect this?"

My family doesn't sail on Disney for the characters--they could not care less, really--but others do. So who's right? Who cares?

Ginger Renae, calling someone uptight for not enjoying a startling, unexpected behavior? I would be offended by that, although I assume you didn't mean to be rude. It's possible that the OP is asking so they know not to dine in Palo again if it's a common experience and not a good fit for them.
I could have written this. My children don't care about the characters, nor do I or my husband. We are sailing DCL because we heard the kids clubs were great and that the family would have a great time. I would not have appreciated be startled during a quiet meal.

Disney World, 1986,1995, 2011 & 2014
Disneyland, 2001, 2007, 2010, 2011 & 2013
Disney Cruise Line, 2012 & 2014
cypressmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #47
bmer1rick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post
No offense (truly), but why should the OP rethink their opinion on this? If they didn't like it, they didn't like it. Enough said. It's not a moral issue, it's an issue of expectations. I would have been weirded out by it, as well (although I've only been on the Fantasy and Dream, so that really would be weird, I think!). I would find it odd to have anyone banging on the window of a nice restaurant where my husband and I were dining. But that's just me (and possibly the OP) and that, I believe, was the point of the post. To paraphrase: "I noticed this and thought it was strange. Did anyone else? Should I always expect this?"

My family doesn't sail on Disney for the characters--they could not care less, really--but others do. So who's right? Who cares?

Ginger Renae, calling someone uptight for not enjoying a startling, unexpected behavior? I would be offended by that, although I assume you didn't mean to be rude. It's possible that the OP is asking so they know not to dine in Palo again if it's a common experience and not a good fit for them.
Well said.

For my family, we enjoy the Disney experience on board the ships to include character greetings. However, like the OP, we at times like to get away from it all and just enjoy a little "quiet" time with our spouse. Going to Palo is one of those times for us.

Also (with no offense please) I don't think anyone should be characterized as being uptight (or anything else) because they weren't expecting to get interrupted by a impromptu character experience during a quiet time with their spouse. We all enjoy our DCL experience different ways.

To the OP, we have been to Palo on all 4 ships and never seen this before.
bmer1rick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #48
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

I am so jealous, I would love this kind of thing to happen to me, love Stitch !!

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #49
infinity.and.beyond
Earning My Ears

Wow! That sounds so cool, I would love for that to happen to me.
If you don't want Disney characters to bother you on a Disney Cruise, then maybe you should think about a different cruise...
infinity.and.beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #50
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity.and.beyond View Post
Wow! That sounds so cool, I would love for that to happen to me.
If you don't want Disney characters to bother you on a Disney Cruise, then maybe you should think about a different cruise...
I'm really tired of the attacks and people telling me to go on a different cruise line.

Thank you to everyone who understood what I was trying to share and asking. Both those who agree with me and those who politely saw things from the other side and shared. We are huge Disney fans and this really was a small thing. But I am not of the "Disney can do no wrong" camp.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #51
Favorite Auntie
8 Disney nieces & nephews!
I'm in the loop now!
The real question should be WHEN do they sleep??
The TF's friend

As my mother would say... "there is a time and a place...." Sounds like this may not have been the time nor the place to be startled by a Disney Character, even on DCL. While I wouldn't have thought anything of it, I can certainly see where others would consider this as inappropriate.

MANY IN BETWEEN!!!

Favorite Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #52
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
I'm really tired of the attacks and people telling me to go on a different cruise line.

Thank you to everyone who understood what I was trying to share and asking. Both those who agree with me and those who politely saw things from the other side and shared. We are huge Disney fans and this really was a small thing. But I am not of the "Disney can do no wrong" camp.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #53
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

When we were in Palo on pirate night and Chip and Dale walked past, I don't think they banged on the window, just waved if I remember rightly.

I wouldn't have minded but everyones different, if we were all the same the world would be pretty boring, and everyone would be with us at WDW and the queues would be huge!
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: