Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
savannie
Mouseketeer

Can I switch my reservation from a travel agent to a regular Disney vacation?

I decided to use a travel agent for this trip to see if I preferred them. I definitely do not. Mine takes forever to respond to my emails, never answers the phone, gives me incorrect information, and completely ignores questions. She's very friendly, but our payment was due yesterday and she never paid it! She sent me an email at 4 saying she never got the card info (I sent it twice). I've called and emailed since then with absolutely zero response. Would Disney let me switch to just a regular reservation? I'm ready to be done with this agent.

ETA: Updated in post #25. Situation resolved!

Blog: http://littlemisschatterbox.com

Last edited by savannie; 09-25-2012 at 03:05 PM.
savannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
MEK
DIS Veteran

That's actually a good question, but I suspect you may have to make a whole new reservation.

I once had the reverse situation when I switched my reservation to a TA from s Disney reservation, but I am pretty sure I am the reservation again and canceled the original.

Too bad you are having a bad experience because there are many good TAs out there.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Does your TA work for a larger agency, or is she one of these solo operators? If she works as an employee of a larger agency, then I would call the manager and complain about the service that you have received and ask to either have your account transferred to another (more responsive) agent, or to have your reservation transferred into your own name.

Good luck. We had a similar experience quite a few years ago - lesson learned and I make all of my own reservations now for Disney.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
savannie
Mouseketeer

It's a large-ish company. I called and complained to someone who was quite unapologetic. Finally got an abrupt email from my agent saying she has done everything to pay it and is waiting on Disney to email. I find it unbelievable because my credit card shows no pending charges (they showed up immediately for the deposit) and Disney's emails have always been immediate. Why would it suddenly take hours? But I don't think there's much to do about it now. My dates are booked solid so I couldn't possibly book another reservation with Disney. There's literally no availability left.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with the TA. I don't have any personal experience as I always book everything myself through Disney, but I think you need to get approval from the TA and she has to release the reservation in order for you to take it over and contact Disney yourself. As of right now, the TA owns the reservation until you check in and Disney will not discuss anything with you. Not sure it would help, but you could try calling Disney and explain the situation and see if there is anything they can do (especially since your final payment is in jeopardy). Good luck and I hope everything works out ok.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

The TA has to agree to release your reservation. And send Disney something confirming that before they will let you take it over.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
wdw lifer
Earning My Ears

Not to get too far off subject but what are the benefits to using a TA?

The first time I went without my parents was when I was 18 and I used one but have always booked direct since. I've never had a problem and always take advantage of available discounts.
First trip off site 1989 AS S March 1995 OKW October 1997 WL November 1997 BV December 1999 WL November 2001 POR November 2006 CBR November 2007 CSR November 2008 YC November 2009 YC November 2010 BW November 2011 (no yacht available)
Beach Club CLDecember 2012

wdw lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw lifer View Post
Not to get too far off subject but what are the benefits to using a TA?

The first time I went without my parents was when I was 18 and I used one but have always booked direct since. I've never had a problem and always take advantage of available discounts.
Some TA's will automatically rebook your reservation if codes/discounts become available. Some TA's will also make your dining reservations.

Bottom line, someone - be it a TA or Disney - gets the commission for your booking. There are advantages to working with just one person who will make your changes for you. You email them, they change your dates, rebook your package, ect. There is some continuity there.

It's personal preference. I like the TA I use and I want her to get the commission.

But, honestly, the biggest reason I use a AAA agent is because I get rebates from their credit card and I apply those to my trip cost.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
savannie
Mouseketeer

I, personally, will never use a travel agent again. She STILL has not sent a receipt or email about the final payment. She has not contacted me in any way. I have tried calling her line and the office's direct line and both go straight to voicemail. I called Disney and they agreed with what was posted here--I have to have an email from the travel agency for them to switch it to my name or to tell me absolutely anything about it. They weren't even supposed to tell me if it had been paid or not, but he did let it slip that it was only partially paid (meaning this last payment has not been made; so she did lie about that earlier). I am so frustrated. If anyone is wondering, Destinations in Florida is the name of the agency and I highly recommend you go elsewhere. This is just a nightmare. The Disney rep said that this situation is very unusual and was quite apologetic, but there is absolutely nothing Disney can do. It's not even considered my reservation by them. It's the travel agency's.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
francie57
DIS Veteran

Sorry you are having such a hard time. I have a AAA TA that I love. She books our trip with the AAA discount and then just keeps watching and checking for any other discounts that come along. Our trip this past Aug. there were no other discounts availabe for our dates so thankfully we were able to at least have the AAA discount. I have used a TA more than not for Disney trips and have never had any problems. You just have to find a good TA and unfortunately there are many out there that aren't extremely Disney knowledgeable.
francie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
cwt580
DIS Veteran

call..tell them if this cant be resolved quickly, that you will be contacting better business bureau and/or a local "actionline" at a news source or even a lawyer. Usually in my experience it works.

You gotta be tactful but authoritive.... i book everything anymore. my first (and last) attempt at using a TA for another trip didnt go well.

I have heard good things about the "disboard" sponsor.... aka Dreams Unlimited.

I just enjoy the process myself and a bit of a control freak..gives me something to do while listening to the tube...

cwt580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
savannie
Mouseketeer

That was the most frustrating part--I did call. All day. No one ever answered. Finally, I sent an email to my original agent around 4:00 (5:00 her time). I politely, but definitively told her that I had contacted my card company and was told that payment had not been made. Then I asked her to please move my reservation from her office to my name because I did not wish to use their services any longer. That seemed to light a fire pretty quickly. Within 30 minutes I had the charge show up on my credit card and missed a call from the agency (I didn't answer because they blocked their number??). Finally, about an hour ago she sent my confirmation email and a rather sarcastic email thanking me for my patience. She is still sticking by her story of paying it earlier today, even though Disney and my card company both said that was not true.

I do not think I was impatient, though. I sent her the payment info (the first time) over 48 hours ago and have had very, very minimal communication from her since. Actually, the entire process has been terrible communication. She's lied, given me inaccurate information (by accident, I think), and overall been VERY slow with her email correspondence. I have never actually gotten her on the phone. I don't think I'm going to bother responding to her last email. I'm still too angry to write something nice. But it's paid and that's all that matters for now. Guess I can't be expecting any pixie dust from her, though. Thanks for listening to my crazy rant. Maybe I should rename this post "Ways that a travel agent can be a bad idea." For the record, I'm sure there are plenty of good ones out there, but I'm not willing to go through this again in the hopes of finding one.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #13
cwt580
DIS Veteran

sounds like your getting through it though.......persistance pays off.

your posting here has helped many others on these boards. Being informed about a TA thats not working well with you has already damaged their reputation to some extent.

I quoted a couple times from Dreams Unlimited and response was very quick. I think Julie M. from the podcast was my contact. Id trust them i think.

cwt580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #14
savannie
Mouseketeer

Well, I originally wasn't going to mention the name of the company unless someone asked. But then I decided it really wasn't fair to lump all the travel agents in one group. Plus, I didn't want anyone to think it was Dreams Unlimited. I wish I had used them originally. I bet they do a great job, based on the way they run this website.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #15
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Give Disney a call and explain everything to them. On a side note, I don't really understand why anyone would use a travel agent in the internet age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannie View Post
I decided to use a travel agent for this trip to see if I preferred them. I definitely do not. Mine takes forever to respond to my emails, never answers the phone, gives me incorrect information, and completely ignores questions. She's very friendly, but our payment was due yesterday and she never paid it! She sent me an email at 4 saying she never got the card info (I sent it twice). I've called and emailed since then with absolutely zero response. Would Disney let me switch to just a regular reservation? I'm ready to be done with this agent.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: