DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
disneyfan2kids
DIS Veteran

What WILL they tell you before your room is ready?

Whenever I check-in my room is never ready (no prob - don't expect it until 4pm). However, I always try to ask them "Can you at least tell me what section I am in (ie. Congress Park vs. Grandstand/etc.)" They usually respond by saying they can't do that either.

My reason for asking is that if I'm checking in at 7am - and I find out I am in Carousel...I'd rather ask them right then and there to please move my section and I'll wait as long as necessary.

Now - I'm not picky... its' not as if I'm asking what floor, what room, what view, etc.... I just want to know a general "section" if that makes sense. (Yes, I put in requests but I'd really rather know right then and there if my requests weren't met)...then I can ask if its possible to meet my requests...then if I'm still told "NO, not possible." I am OK with that...but then at least I KNOW that I am in a section I don't want and can take the next 7 hours before room check-in to get used to the fact that I'm not where I asked to be.

It seems like its silly to not have the room discussion with front desk right then and there....rather than delay it for 7 hours when they already know what section I'm in. Also - with a place as big as SSR or OKW. At around 4pm I'm going to linger nearby whatever section I was told I'm in...so I can be ready for room. I'm not stalking...I don't know room number. BUT I wouldn't be hanging at DTD at 4pm if I know my room was in the Carousel... then maybe I'd hang by the paddocks pool or grandstand pool. KWIM?

Has anyone ever gotten them to tell you a Section you're in before check-in? How about a building #, have they told you that? If so - how did you ask so they knew you weren't stalking...just preparing

disneyfan2kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Belle & Ariel
DIS Veteran

At Boardwalk they circled a section on the map they give. It probably only covered 15 rooms so we had a good general idea.
At Old Key West they told us we would be in Turtle Pond. I don't know why they wouldn't tell you. Tell them you want to park and hang out at the pool in the area you will be in and maybe they will advise.
Belle & Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Could just be that one CM. I've always been able to get a "general sense" for where the room is, though that's been at VWL, OKW, or BWV, not SSR.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
SusieBea
DIS Veteran

Two years ago (at band camp), we were checking in to a GV at OKW. Our unit wasn't ready - no problem, we were early. So I asked the CM, who was a trainee, if she could at least tell me which building our unit was in. She said no, but her trainer corrected her to say she could tell us which building, but not which unit.
Off-site '75, 82, 85; 89: CBR; 92: PO: 93: Disney Inn; 94: OKW(2); 95: OKW(2); 96: HHI & OKW(2); 97: VB & OKW; 98: OKW(3); 99: OKW, DCL, & BW; 2000: OKW & VWL; 01: HHI & OKW; 02: Ft. Wild. cabins; 03: OKW & GF; 05: OKW, SSR, & Yacht Club; 06: OKW; 07: OKW; 08: Grand Californian; 09: OKW; 10: OKW(2) & OKW Grand Villa! 2011: AKV (2) & OKW (3); 2012: OKW (2) & OKW Grand Villa; 2013: OKW (3); 2014: BLT & Kidani; VGF & OKW; SSR & OKW; UPCOMING TRIPS: - 2015:
SusieBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
GOOFY D
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieBea View Post
Two years ago (at band camp), we were checking in to a GV at OKW. Our unit wasn't ready - no problem, we were early. So I asked the CM, who was a trainee, if she could at least tell me which building our unit was in. She said no, but her trainer corrected her to say she could tell us which building, but not which unit.
What's the secret? Are they just not sure which will be cleaned?

1988 - Polynesian * 1995 - Carribean Beach * 1996 - All Star Sports * 1997 - Candy Cane (Disneyland) * 1998 - All Star Music * 1999 - Contemporary * 1999 - Contemporary * 2000 - Disney Wonder /Coronado Springs * 2000 - All Star Sports * 2001 - Disney Magic (Eastern) * 2002 - Disney Magic (Western) * 2003 - All Star Movies * 2004 - Disney Magic (Eastern-San Juan) * 2006 - Contemporary * 2006 - Coronado Springs * 2007 - All Star Sports/Animal Kingdom Lodge * 2008 - All Star Sports * 2009 - Disney Magic (Western) * 2009 - All Star Movies * 2010 - Disney Magic (Eastern) * 2011 - All Star Sports * 2012 - Disney Fantasy (Western) * 2013 - Animal Kingdom Villas-Kidani * 2013 - Bay Lake Tower * 2014 - Boardwalk Villas
GOOFY D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOOFY D View Post
I would guess they don't want you banging on the current occupant's door asking to drop your stuff off, or asking them to leave earlier so you can get in.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
They probably don't know 100% for sure. Unless they are at 100% capacity, things can always change. If they tell you, they are committed and have eliminated an operational option for themselves. If they don't tell you, they still have options, should they need them. It's smart business from a hotel perspective.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
As I understand it, the key is encoded with the room as soon as you get it. If you actually knew which room was yours, you'd be able to enter it at that point. They don't want you to do that until the prior occupants are gone (obviously) and it is clean.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

The furthest I've ever got was that they let me know I will be the area I requested. Because it was at the GCV, I knew I'd scored as I had three different room number requests. We'll see what happens this year at the THV and AKV.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
iluveeyore
DIS Veteran

We just stayed at SSR last month, and I had requested Grandstand, and I asked which buildings were available - she circled one we could have had that was ready (it was 11 a.m), but it was too far from the pool, so she circled a building closer and said it would be on the third floor, like we wanted, just had to wait for it to be ready. Said no problem and went to the pool. So we knew which building and which floor, just no room number until mousekeeping was done with it. No big secrets for us, and we had our room by 2pm!
iluveeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #11
GOOFY D
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRegulars View Post
I would guess they don't want you banging on the current occupant's door asking to drop your stuff off, or asking them to leave earlier so you can get in.
Check out and check in are not that close that this would occur. I did not realize that they gave you coded keys before your room was ready (seems odd that they would do that).

1988 - Polynesian * 1995 - Carribean Beach * 1996 - All Star Sports * 1997 - Candy Cane (Disneyland) * 1998 - All Star Music * 1999 - Contemporary * 1999 - Contemporary * 2000 - Disney Wonder /Coronado Springs * 2000 - All Star Sports * 2001 - Disney Magic (Eastern) * 2002 - Disney Magic (Western) * 2003 - All Star Movies * 2004 - Disney Magic (Eastern-San Juan) * 2006 - Contemporary * 2006 - Coronado Springs * 2007 - All Star Sports/Animal Kingdom Lodge * 2008 - All Star Sports * 2009 - Disney Magic (Western) * 2009 - All Star Movies * 2010 - Disney Magic (Eastern) * 2011 - All Star Sports * 2012 - Disney Fantasy (Western) * 2013 - Animal Kingdom Villas-Kidani * 2013 - Bay Lake Tower * 2014 - Boardwalk Villas
GOOFY D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Check out and check in are not that close that this would occur. I did not realize that they gave you coded keys before your room was ready (seems odd that they would do that).
Saves an extra trip to the Front Desk. You don't know the room number until they text you.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
dizzneebabe
SOME IMAGINATION!!!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluveeyore View Post
We just stayed at SSR last month, and I had requested Grandstand, and I asked which buildings were available - she circled one we could have had that was ready (it was 11 a.m), but it was too far from the pool, so she circled a building closer and said it would be on the third floor, like we wanted, just had to wait for it to be ready. Said no problem and went to the pool. So we knew which building and which floor, just no room number until mousekeeping was done with it. No big secrets for us, and we had our room by 2pm!
This is how our check in at SSR went in June. I was perfectly happy with that amount of info!

Growing up 1974-1985 Aunt Joyce's house
With DH and 2 DS's...Sept. 1998 Offsite @ Vistana** Sept. 1999 Offsite @ Orange Lake**Sept. 2000 Offsite @ Embassy Suites**Sept. 2001 BWI**Sept. 2002 POR and RPR**July 4th week 2003 YC Concierge**
Sept. 2006 BWV/BCV/WL

March 2007-FINALLY DVC MEMBERS! June 2007 HHI**Dec 2008 AKV 1st trip "HOME!"**MY 40th BIRTHDAY!!!July 4th 2009!!! Cruise & SSR**
Dec 2009 AKV KIDANI
July 2010- HHI**Dec 2010 BLT**March 2011 BWV**May 2011 SSR**Aug 2011 SSR**Nov 2011 BLT**June 2012 SSR**Oct 2012 SSR**Jan 2013 OKW**March 2013 DCL Fantasy and Easter at BCV!**Jun 2013 SSRr**
Oct 2013 AKV weekend **Nov 2013 BWV**
Jan 2014 AKV RUN DISNEY 10K**
March 2014 BCV**July 2014 OKW**HALLOWEEN 2014 BLT**Thanksgiving 2014 AKV**

dizzneebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
As I understand it, the key is encoded with the room as soon as you get it. If you actually knew which room was yours, you'd be able to enter it at that point. They don't want you to do that until the prior occupants are gone (obviously) and it is clean.
Correct. We've been given buildings and general areas mostly but actual room numbers a couple of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan2kids View Post
My reason for asking is that if I'm checking in at 7am - and I find out I am in Carousel...I'd rather ask them right then and there to please move my section and I'll wait as long as necessary.

Now - I'm not picky... its' not as if I'm asking what floor, what room, what view, etc.... I just want to know a general "section" if that makes sense. (Yes, I put in requests but I'd really rather know right then and there if my requests weren't met)...then I can ask if its possible to meet my requests...then if I'm still told "NO, not possible."
I think this is a large part of why they often don't tell you, because they don't want you to negotiate for a different location.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #15
mch04049
Saratoga Springs Resort 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
I believe with RFID you can have a start time and expiration on the card. So you probably would not be able to do what you are implying. But there would definitely people who would consistently try until the time kicked in. That is the great technology of the cards to begin with. Oh by the way they can see every move you make with them,and it is all recorded for your protection and theirs of course.You can walk by a post or any other object that has a reader on it usually hidden and they can tell where you have been.This is the best marketing tool going and it will get even larger as the years go on.

Buena Vista Palace 4/2010
Buena Vista Palace 11/2010
Saratoga Springs Congress Park 4/2011
Saratoga Springs Paddock 11/2011
Saratoga Springs Congress Park 4/2012
Animal Kingdom Kidani Village 10/2012
Saratoga Springs 4/2013
Beach Club 11/2013
Old Key West 4/2014]
mch04049 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: