Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
dfchelbay
DIS Veteran

Anyone familiar with Thousand Trails Memberships???

Is anyone a member or know anything about a membership to Thousand Trails? The deal seems too good to be true, so I am leery of hidden extras. I am interested in just one zone....Florida. If I buy a membership it costs $499 and I get 30 days free camping, then it costs $3 a day to camp after the first thirty days. I spoke with a salesperson from Thousand Trails and they say that there are no other fees...then, really pressure you to buy right over the phone. I don't operate like that. I do not respond well to sales pressure. I will just decline all together. Plus, in reading over the website, it appears that people were charged a $3 daily fee too within that first 30 days are free period. So, there is conflicting information.

We are looking to stay for long stretches over the winter, so staying at the Disney Campground will cost way too much money. We can't even get a DVC reservation for the Fort. There's NEVER any availability for our travel dates. Doesn't matter when we go, there's never any DVC availability. So, we are looking into other options. Most RV places charge $500 or more, plus utilities per month and require a 3-6 month commitment, which we cannot give. This Thousand Trails deal seems too good to be true.

Any information, comments, suggesting, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to know what experience anyone has had with them. Even if you've stayed at one, I'd like to know how it was for you. We've never stayed at one before. Thanks.
dfchelbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Mcert01
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfchelbay View Post
If I buy a membership it costs $499 and I get 30 days free camping, then it costs $3 a day to camp after the first thirty days. Most RV places charge $500 or more, plus utilities per month and require a 3-6 month commitment, which we cannot give. This Thousand Trails deal seems too good to be true.
I don't have any experience with them, but this is from their website: " For a small annual fee, enjoy resort-style camping in family-friendly environments!"

Sounds like you will be paying $500 annually + $3 per day ($90 per month), so it looks to line up with the other quotes you are getting.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
dfchelbay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcert01 View Post
I don't have any experience with them, but this is from their website: " For a small annual fee, enjoy resort-style camping in family-friendly environments!"

Sounds like you will be paying $500 annually + $3 per day ($90 per month), so it looks to line up with the other quotes you are getting.
I read it that the first 30 days are free because they are paid for with the membership. But, then when I read the personal endorsements of people on their website, the math added up to not getting any days for free, but instead you pay the $500 and get nothing for it, and then pay $3 a night starting with the very first night you ever stay there. Not sure why they are wording it like that.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

Ask for a contract. That will tell you if they are on the up and up.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
articfox676
Mouseketeer

This has been discussed on RV.NET if you want to check it out.
articfox676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
dfchelbay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by articfox676 View Post
This has been discussed on RV.NET if you want to check it out.
Oh, thank you, I will.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
dalspot
We're going back!

Lots of times they run a special whereby you get two zones for the $499 initial buy in.

We've contemplated it, but I've read mixed reviews.
December 14-20 2009 CBR
November 4-11 2014 FW

dalspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
double r
Mouseketeer

We are Thousand Trails members and most of the people that bought zone passes have liked them, right now I think they are offering 2 for 1 zones. The folks I have talked to did not pay anything more till after they camped 30 nights, I think it's a good deal we have even tried to talk some friends into doing it.
The membership only works well for some folks not everyone so this is also a good way to see if it would be worth joining.
double r is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: