Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #76
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!
 
Muushka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: VWL, in my mind....
Posts: 13,898

Does anyone think that the White House should pressure Sony to stop the release of "Zero Dark Thirty,"
which celebrates the killing of Osama bin Laden?

Because movies inflame and cause terrorism.
__________________


~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #77
lizabu
DIS Veteran
 
lizabu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muushka View Post
Does anyone think that the White House should pressure Sony to stop the release of "Zero Dark Thirty,"
which celebrates the killing of Osama bin Laden?

Because movies inflame and cause terrorism.
I think it's a slippery slope. I don't think we should have to censor ourselves. And who's to know what will be twisted and used? Even this movie according to the actors had nothing to do with Mohammed. They say that a different dialogue was recorded and dubbed over their scenes. And then someone typed out the entire transcript translated in Arabic and posted it on the internet. Obviously someone was trying to stir things up. Also Bin Ladin had his supporters but the people in these videos are not Al Queda.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #78
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muushka View Post
Does anyone think that the White House should pressure Sony to stop the release of "Zero Dark Thirty,"
which celebrates the killing of Osama bin Laden?

Because movies inflame and cause terrorism.
Nope but I can't imagine why anyone would make a movie celebrating another human beings death even if it is someone as evil as he was.
donaldlovesdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #79
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!
 
Muushka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: VWL, in my mind....
Posts: 13,898

Quote:
Because movies inflame and cause terrorism.
Is there a tongue in cheek jumpy thingy? I know!
__________________


~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #80
Acklander
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Gypsy
Posts: 5,470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muushka View Post
Does anyone think that the White House should pressure Sony to stop the release of "Zero Dark Thirty,"
which celebrates the killing of Osama bin Laden?

Because movies inflame and cause terrorism.
No, I don't think it's the governments place to censor or pressure anyone. I think society should refuse to support films like that. That's how you stop it.
I remember a petition going around letting film makers know that if they made a movie where any $$$ went to Casey Anthony they wouldn't watch it. I don't know how many signed the petition, but it was a lot. When we stop paying for projects that celebrate hate and evil they will stop making it. Bottom line is, it's the bottom line.
__________________
Acklander
Acklander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #81
Chris2597
DIS Veteran
 
Chris2597's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 1,824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acklander View Post
Maybe if we minded our own business instead of telling other countries how to conduct their business there wouldn't be so much hate towards the US.
Maybe if we weren't the bullies of the world, they wouldn't feel so much resentment. Maybe if we got off the middle eastern tit, none of this would matter so much
And....while we are at it we should immediately stop all $$$$$$$ going to these countries. I hope the US starts drilling drilling drilling and becomes independent from these countries, pull our money and troops....Let them work out their own problems. I know this sounds simplistic and will never happen....
Chris2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #82
Acklander
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Gypsy
Posts: 5,470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2597 View Post
And....while we are at it we should immediately stop all $$$$$$$ going to these countries. I hope the US starts drilling drilling drilling and becomes independent from these countries, pull our money and troops....Let them work out their own problems. I know this sounds simplistic and will never happen....
I say use the money to create renewable sources of energy. The US is behind so many other countries on this.
__________________
Acklander
Acklander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #83
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay
 
OceanAnnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 17,071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acklander View Post
I say use the money to create renewable sources of energy. The US is behind so many other countries on this.
While that sounds nice, the problem with it is we need energy in real time. We have vehicles on the road that are not ready for transition. People need jobs. The people that do have jobs need to get there. We need to fuel our trucks that keep our country going. Our dependence is on oil. IMO, we need to become independent with oil first, transition later.
__________________


"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown



OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #84
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran
 
runsandjumps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 744

I haven't read other responses but there have been a lot if videos posted way before the movies release depicting Tunisian unrest. One city in particular is a very religious place known for Its mosque.
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #85
sparklynails23
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muushka View Post
Does anyone think that the White House should pressure Sony to stop the release of "Zero Dark Thirty,"
which celebrates the killing of Osama bin Laden?

Because movies inflame and cause terrorism.
It's been pushed back. It was supposed to open in October but is now opening in December. Don't know when that decision was made. I wonder if the Bin Laden book riled people up a bit, though.

As for not sending money to the Middle East. The Saudi's are a major U.S. bond holder. As for being oil independent, what we pump on U.S. soil is often sent to Asian countries.
sparklynails23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #86
Mermaid02
BL II - Blue Team
Cocoa Krispies all the way!
My son's hermit crab is a zombie....
I'm leaving this snake lover infested thread
 
Mermaid02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2597 View Post
And....while we are at it we should immediately stop all $$$$$$$ going to these countries. I hope the US starts drilling drilling drilling and becomes independent from these countries, pull our money and troops....Let them work out their own problems. I know this sounds simplistic and will never happen....
I agree with this. Overall the people in those countries don't WANT to live like we do- so why try to make them? Let them work their own crap out. BUT I don't think that will stop them from killing us. As someone else pointed out to them we are "infidels".

They hate us because we aren't like them- period.
__________________


~Be your own inspiration~
Mermaid02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:23 AM   #87
Acklander
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Gypsy
Posts: 5,470

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post
While that sounds nice, the problem with it is we need energy in real time. We have vehicles on the road that are not ready for transition. People need jobs. The people that do have jobs need to get there. We need to fuel our trucks that keep our country going. Our dependence is on oil. IMO, we need to become independent with oil first, transition later.
Since it takes time to transition, shouldn't we be working on that now towards the future? Think of it like setting up a savings account or losing weight. If I want to lose a hundred pounds, for health reasons I need to start today. I can't use the excuse that I should wait because all my clothes fit a 250 lb woman, or eating 3000calories is how I'm used to do it. It's unhealthy to be 100lb overweight, so I need to start today, even if I won't see results right away, every day brings me closer to the end result. So instead of sending all that $$$ over seas to help other countries we should send it to USA to help us.
__________________
Acklander
Acklander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #88
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay
 
OceanAnnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 17,071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acklander View Post
Since it takes time to transition, shouldn't we be working on that now towards the future? Think of it like setting up a savings account or losing weight. If I want to lose a hundred pounds, for health reasons I need to start today. I can't use the excuse that I should wait because all my clothes fit a 250 lb woman, or eating 3000calories is how I'm used to do it. It's unhealthy to be 100lb overweight, so I need to start today, even if I won't see results right away, every day brings me closer to the end result. So instead of sending all that $$$ over seas to help other countries we should send it to USA to help us.
Under different circumstances, yes. Right now we are in a severely depressed economy which is about to become much, much worse. The QE3 will have a drastic negative impact. The bottom line is we don't have the resources to spare to develop alternatives for later. We are in dire times. We need a solution that will end our dependence now.

We can't ignore our economic troubles. It's front and center for all of us. We have to address our immediate problems. We have to move our groceries, our supplies, our people to make this country work. As much as many disdain oil, that is the resource that makes it happen right now. We can't ignore that. Oil is the problem we have with the middle east and oil is our solution. Until we confront the elephant in the room, it will continue to be our problem.
__________________


"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown



OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #89
Acklander
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Gypsy
Posts: 5,470

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post
Under different circumstances, yes. Right now we are in a severely depressed economy which is about to become much, much worse. The QE3 will have a drastic negative impact. The bottom line is we don't have the resources to spare to develop alternatives for later. We are in dire times. We need a solution that will end our dependence now.

We can't ignore our economic troubles. It's front and center for all of us. We have to address our immediate problems. We have to move our groceries, our supplies, our people to make this country work. As much as many disdain oil, that is the resource that makes it happen right now. We can't ignore that. Oil is the problem we have with the middle east and oil is our solution. Until we confront the elephant in the room, it will continue to be our problem.
The point was, to get off the middle eastern tit. Can't do that if we continue the same old, same old. If you use the money that we send overseas towards creating renewable sources here, we won't have to go back to being at their mercy. Plus it would create plenty of jobs here. It's time we start taking care of our own and securing the future of our country with what we got here instead of relying on others.
__________________
Acklander
Acklander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #90
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid02 View Post
I agree with this. Overall the people in those countries don't WANT to live like we do- so why try to make them? Let them work their own crap out. BUT I don't think that will stop them from killing us. As someone else pointed out to them we are "infidels".

They hate us because we aren't like them- period.
I think something similar could be said about people in this country, too.

Ethnocentrism is alive and well in the USA.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: