Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
madmumof2
DIS Veteran

Kissimmee to Disney...

I've googled and have found several different answers!

Realistically, coming from people who have done it before, how long is the drive from Kissimmee to the different disney parks?

I've seen some websites say 10 minutes, some say half an hour so wanted to ask people who have actually done it before, bearing in mind it'll be October.

The reason I'm asking is we have some days planned where my partner will stay at the villa with the baby because 1, he doesn't like roller coasters so he'll stay back so me and my older two can 'do the coasters' without worrying about him and baby, and 2, so baby can have more chill out days and naps in a bed now and again rather than the stroller since he's still very young and will need more rest than us.

Universal will be easy as we'll be staying on site for the night so OH and baby can nip back and forth as often as they wish if baby needs a nap or just a bit of a chill out, which will also benefit coaster phobic OH! lol

If it only takes 10-15 minutes to drive from Kissimmee to any Disney park it'll mean we can all go to the parks and if baby lasts great, but if not I can drop them back at the villa and return with the older two.

If it's closer to 30 minutes it'll be more likely we have set days where OH and baby take a day off the parks, which will be trickier to plan. :S

Oct 2012 - 2 weeks Southern Dunes+1 night at the Hard Rock Hotel!
Oct 2009 - 2 weeks Pop Century
Jan 2000 - 2 weeks Ramada Inn International Drive
Oct/Nov 1995 - 5 weeks Lindfields Villa, Kissimmee
madmumof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
alibeau
DIS Veteran

We stay on Formosa Gardens and it takes 10 minutes at the most to get to the Disney parks Super convenient

Ali
alibeau is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

It really depends on which community you're staying in. The likes of Formosa Gardens, Emerald Island, Windsor Palms etc are all very close. And bear in mind some places advertise themselves to be in Kissimmee when they're really in Davenport or Clermont or even as far as Haines City! We made that mistake a few years ago and ended up being over 30 minutes away depending on traffic! Needless to say we werr gutted!

Wills First Adventure TR May 2013

Wills Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
MarkF0wle
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

The last time we stayed in Kissimmee was a while back (where we stayed doesn't exist now I don't think), and we stayed on the 192 towards Kissimmee. It would take about 20 minutes by car to get to any park car park, I think most of the resorts in Kissimmee now are closer to Disney so would take 10-15 minutes I would presume. Factoring in the 10+ minutes to get from car to park (even more for MK), the entire round trip is still probably going to take an hour from leaving the park to getting back I would estimate.

Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort - May 2014 | Disney's Old Key West Resort - May 2013
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort - May 2012 | Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa - May 2011, August 2010, August 2008 | Bahama Bay Resort - August 2006
Resident's Inn - August 2002 | Double Tree Resort - August 2004, August 2001, August 1999, August 1997 | Fantasy Villas - August 1996, August 1993, April 1991
MarkF0wle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
MarkF0wle
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills Mom View Post
It really depends on which community you're staying in. The likes of Formosa Gardens, Emerald Island, Windsor Palms etc are all very close. And bear in mind some places advertise themselves to be in Kissimmee when they're really in Davenport or Clermont or even as far as Haines City! We made that mistake a few years ago and ended up being over 30 minutes away depending on traffic! Needless to say we werr gutted!
Same happened to us. We stayed at Bahama Bay in Davenport. Listed as only 10 miles from WDW. It was about 10 miles to get to the extreme corner of WDW property, but you can't drive in there so when you factor in having to drive past & in through World Dr then to a park we were travelling 30/40 minutes each way.

Nice place, but too far away. We still joke today about the length of a "Disney Mile"

Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort - May 2014 | Disney's Old Key West Resort - May 2013
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort - May 2012 | Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa - May 2011, August 2010, August 2008 | Bahama Bay Resort - August 2006
Resident's Inn - August 2002 | Double Tree Resort - August 2004, August 2001, August 1999, August 1997 | Fantasy Villas - August 1996, August 1993, April 1991
MarkF0wle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Nice place, but too far away. We still joke today about the length of a "Disney Mile"
Oh I'm stealing that phrase

Old 09-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
madmumof2
DIS Veteran

I'm with cosmos and I've booked a Disney Area Villa, the address they've given me is Bronson Memorial Highway, which I think is hotelbeds, so either where we pick up the keys or where we go if there are any issues?

If I don't get a villa close to disney I'll probably kick up a stink until they move me as that's what I've booked! lol

But generally, I should be around 10-15 minutes away?

We'll be able to work it all out better once we're there, it's not the end of the world if baby has his nap in his stroller, or misses a whole day, but it would be so much easier if we had the option to pop back. We could always split the days up with lunch if needs be anyway, we have lots of ADR's booked in resorts etc, could go there for lunch, drop the boys at the villa then head back to the park...loads of options :D

Old 09-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

Is there an option of requesting a particular community with Cosmos? The TA I usually book with has usually requested my top 3 choices, although they may not bother honouring your request its always made me feel more in control We're thinking of requesting Glenbrook next time. Its within 15 mins if the parks and we only hit bad traffic once that holiday which was very good considering. Also Formosa Gardens is looooovely and SO close to everything. We'll request that too but our chances are very slim of getting it.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
MichelinMan
I Am Speed - Ka-Chow!!!!

Bronson Memorial Highway has 2 parts - East and West. West is closer to the parks. When we stayed in Kissimmee, it was close to East Bronson Memorial Highway, and took us about 20mins to get to the closest theme park which was EPCOT at that time. Universal took about 30-40 mins from memory. But the hotel we stayed in has closed down now, and when I look on Streetview, it looks like other hotels around there have closed as well, probably because they were a bit far out, and there is closer accommodation now.

I suspect you will be West Bronson, as there is more accommodation around there.

I wouldn't worry about the time to get to the parks too much - it never bothered us any, and there is the bonus that you will have plenty of cheap restaurants to choose from locally (one thing I will miss is the Denny's breakfast when we stay onsite next year - we really loved them!).

July 1994 : WDW Off-Site on Honeymoon
July 2009 : DLP Newport Bay Club
July 2011 : DLP Disneyland Hotel
July 2013 : WDW Polynesian Resort / Hard Rock Universal / Renaissance SeaWorld
MichelinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #10
madmumof2
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure if I can request but it's worth a shot, I'll ring them

It is west bronson, at least that's the address they've given me, w irlo bronson memorial highway. So hopefully it'll be there and closer

I love dennys, and sizzlers, we'll definitely be eating there as well as Disney

Old 09-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #11
davidr
Earning My Ears

From the 192 its much quicker to use sherbeth road (near Formosa gardens blvd), than to use world drive. I found it a great cut thru, a minute or two up sherbeth road and you are by AK and not far from the other parks.
davidr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: