Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 03:31 AM   #1
Tinkerpeas hubby
Mouseketeer

Coming clean with the kids

Some of you may recall that I had a thread on here a couple of months ago, for suggestions on how to suprise the kids with " We're going to Disney World "

Our original idea was to take them out to dinner, have at the end of the dinner a suprise cake with it written in icing. When they got home their suitcases and backpacks would be waiting for them.
The cover story is that we are taking them to a special hotel in the UK to go somewhere fun, it may include a couple of stop offs at other hotels. So their guessing it's Alton Towers, Legoland Windsor etc, at least they were!

The boys are getting highly suspicious and my DW (tinker pea) said to me last night that she thinks we may have to tell them earlier. We have been dropping hints now and then.
We've been able to talk freely about our holiday plans as the boys think we are going next year! DW bought a pair of PJ's with Minnie Mouse on them, glow in the dark ones!
I bought my DW a Minnie Mouse iphone cover the other day as another clue (I know it's evil, but fun for me )

Recent events:

1. Ethan aka Avatar has noticed the suitcases in our bedroom, we managed to play it off as it's for their special weekend.

2. Brandon aka Stitch, friend from school was suprised during the summer holidays. So he is highly suspicious.

3. Nanny has been working on their costumes for MNSSHP, so it hasn't quite clicked for them that why would Nanny be making them now for next year, when they will grow

I think we should keep to the original plan, what do you think?

Moi (31): dw (27): B (10) Ant (7): Avatar (7):
Tinkerpeas hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

I think your plan sounds good- I love the cake idea too. I love surprises!
I am surprising my son next week too. I was kind of hoping to wait until we go under the "arch" of disneyworld. And then point to it and see if he gets it...YAY!!!

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing.. The dreams that you dream... Really do come true....

April 2005- Offsite.. My now DH's first time
December 2005- Offsite ( ENGAGED at MK)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-All Star Sport ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012- 1 night @ POFQ
September 2012- 3 nights @ AOA
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2014- Weekend Surprise at Port Orleans Riverside!

October 2013 TR- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3207813
June 2014 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3293489
Marsheliz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
blueferral
Mouseketeer

You guys are way better than DW and I. We can't keep the secret for more than ... well... about 18 seconds.

DIS DAD #695
blueferral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
rachael95
DIS Veteran

Maybe you could mess with their heads a bit. Start getting some Lego stuff or something that might make them think about Alton Towers.

*Off Property - August 1999 *AKL - September 2003 *Dolphin - December 2004 *POR - May 2005 *Off Property - October 2005 *1/2 day at AK after conference Oct. 2007*Off Property - September 2014 (DS first trip)
rachael95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
of2dbeach
DIS Veteran

I think it is fun to suprise them but they also might want to help plan things out. I Suprised my daughter when she was 9 or 10 but we live in Fl. it went something like this I put her to bed and lined up her dresser with Disney Barbies. I had each of them hold something Disney Dollars,Disney disposable camera , Disney ticket etc. Then I woke her up at like 5 am SUPER early for her and yes she was cranky. I rushed her to get dressed and ran outta the room.. wait for it.. wait for it.. MUFFLED SCREAMS and the door flung open ... yeah super dooper excited as we were going ALONE! it was fun and we had a blast but we have been many MANY times as we live 3 hrs away . Another idea instead of the cake it get a box with a lift off top. Buy disney themed balloons helium ones tie something to them so they wont float out of the box like Disney sunglasses a lolli pop etc. Make a box for each child. Then on the count of 3 they open it.. the balloon rises and Suprise! I did this when preg with my last one to tell my Mom I was having a baby girl
I like the cake idea also but thats because I am a cake decorator. I would do something Disney themed but thats me. Disney overload lol sounds like a fun trip
Old 09-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
jazz0007
DIS Veteran

I'm with Rachael95.....start messin' with their heads. Play on the trip youre telling them is happening!!! When are you going?

We surprised our kids 2 years ago and it was so much fun to see their excitement. It's well worth doing one time!!! They have REQUESTED to be surprised for our next trip! (Spoiled much?) So we leave in 6 weeks....they haven't a clue. :D

Last edited by jazz0007; 09-15-2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: I hit "go" too soon.
jazz0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

We go in 3wks!!!!!!

We also have a huge treasure hunt planned that DH forgot to mention, we have kept this secrete for over a yr now. Have NO idea how

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
jazz0007
DIS Veteran

Yea....don't ruin it now! You're too close! So what if they think they know something. It'll still be a surprise. Just try not to give anymore hints until you're ready to play it out with the treasure hunt and dinner. Good luck!! So much fun!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: