Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
pugtails66
Mouseketeer

My Feet are Killing Me!!!~need shoes for our trip

We are heading to WDW in Oct., so a few weeks ago I bought a pair of New Balance 1211 training shoes. I started wearing them for a few hours twice a week and my feet are killing me by the time I take them off. My feet do great when I wear my keens, but I can't wear them all day at WDW without socks, and I thought tennis shoes would provide more support.

What shoes do you find most comfortable at WDW? I can't wear Crocs all day, but I do like to take them to wear around the resort.
pugtails66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
mistysue
DIS Veteran

I have always hated flip flops, but some people suggested Teva Mush's. I got them the day before the trip- no time to break them in and they didn't even need to be broken in. I have never worn flip flops before that didn't give me blisters by the first day and I wore those for 2 weeks without an issue. They did well in the rain (couldn't run) and I didn't need socks, so less laundry to worry about.
I was especially glad I had them for the pool and waterparks because getting sand in my shoes really annoys me. I found them on Amazon for under $15.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

If you have a Fleet Feet in your area, go there and get professionally fitted for some sneakers. They are magical there, finding the exact pair that will work with your foot and your gait.

Be prepared to spend $100 + on them, but worth every penny!!

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugtails66 View Post
We are heading to WDW in Oct., so a few weeks ago I bought a pair of New Balance 1211 training shoes. I started wearing them for a few hours twice a week and my feet are killing me by the time I take them off. My feet do great when I wear my keens, but I can't wear them all day at WDW without socks, and I thought tennis shoes would provide more support.

What shoes do you find most comfortable at WDW? I can't wear Crocs all day, but I do like to take them to wear around the resort.
If your feet are killing you when you take off your tennis shoes, it means your shoes do NOT fit your feet properly, it is not just a matter of "breaking" in the tennis shoes. I would recommend going to a store with salespeople who really know shoes that could help you. A quality pair of tennis shoes that fit your feet could easily run 80-100 dollars but they will NOT make your feet hurt when you take them off, even after the first time you wear them. Walking around and standing all day, tennis shoes are very good for support, as long as you have a pair that fit you.

Good luck

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012, 2014
Disney Magic: 2014
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

I bought two pair of New Balance 846s about two weeks before my last WDW visit. They were immediately comfortable and required no breaking-in period. I refer to them as the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned, and I continue to get three new pairs at a time a couple of times a year. They retail for close to $150 but I have found them for under $100 online now that I know my size. I get the correct size and width and they are constructed to help with my particular gait problems.

I recommend going to a New Balance store and spending the time to get a proper fit. The right socks make a difference as well.
Sadie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

When you buy athletic shoes, almost everyone I know has to buy them one size larger than their regular shoes. Did you do that?
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
When you buy athletic shoes, almost everyone I know has to buy them one size larger than their regular shoes. Did you do that?
This can vary widely by brand and style of shoe. It's important to get measured at the end of the day as feet tend to swell as the day goes on, and to be measured wearing the socks that you will wear with the shoe, but to get measured by a trained and experienced professional.
Sadie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

I wear my Keen's all day at WDW, with no socks and never had an issue.

I find that tennies make my feet too warm.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
DizzyStitch
Mouseketeer

I bought Adias running shoes at a running store. They were comfortable form the minute I put them on. I paid more and my feet thank me already. Feet are not replaceable, take care of them with shoes that are right for you.
Pop Century May 2006Pop Century September 2006Pop Century September 2007All Star Music September 2008Pop Century September 2009Free Dining Bounce Back Pop Century August 2010 Universal June 2012DVC Boardwalk Villas June 2013 DVC SSR June 2014
DizzyStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

If you have shoes you like (Keen) why would you bother trying to find something else.
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

Merrell MJ Breeze. Look them up at zappos.com. These are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. Ever. They come in autumn glaze (an orange red), taupe, black and dark tan. I have the dark tan. I wear them every day. For me they fit true to size. I wear a 9 and I got a 9 and they're perfect. Worth the money.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
julirina
Close your mouth, Michael. We are not a codfish.

I just placed a big order with Zappos -- free shipping both ways. I ordered 6 pr, found one that worked, and returned the other 5 pr for a full refund. I have really high arches and plantar fasciitis and I tried all the recommended brands -- Merrell, Keen, Olukai -- with no luck. But I found a shoe by a company called called Jambu that really works for me. They're a mesh mary jane style and I wear them without socks.

I will take a pr of athletic shoes (I like Saucony) to switch off with, and a pr of dressier sandals for a couple of nice ts dinners, but for all day in the parks I really hate wearing socks -- I have big feet and socks make my toes feel all bound up and pinched. I do end up with stinky shoes by the end of the week, though!

Good luck finding something that works for you!

julirina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
ceecee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tea View Post
If you have shoes you like (Keen) why would you bother trying to find something else.
Argee! I love my Teva Mush and wear them the entire time, if it rains I don't have wet shoes and my feet stay cool as I hate wearing socks.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #14
StephMK
DIS Veteran

I agree, shoes should not hurt, even in the beginning. I love asics and they never give me any issues, from the moment I buy them.

At the parks, I wore Land's End wedge flip flops & they were comfy. I also hate sweaty, confined feet.

Good luck & have fun on your trip!
Old 09-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
budafam
DIS Veteran

I have Crocs... the Cleo line. I LOVE them. Wear them all the time and in the parks with no issues whatsoever. They're flip flops and wide open in case they get wet, they dry quick.
budafam is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: