Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #31
taymorel
Mouseketeer

We have the iPad 2 and my son loves it. I still prefer my laptop.

Me DH DS(9)

2010 Contemporary
2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge/Royal Pacific Resort
2014 Wilderness Lodge/Royal Pacific Resort
taymorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #32
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

We just got iPad 2 32 gig AT&T off eBay for $399 shipped.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #33
MomToOne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel_disney View Post
if an iPod is 299 for 32gb and an iPad is 600$ for 32gb, I would think that the mini is aiming to be in e 400$ range...it will surprise me if the price below 300$.......the current price for an iPod2 refurb is also 400$....hard to imagine that it's really a different set of customers since most of them shop by price...
IF the Mini is coming, the point of it would be to compete with the Fire, Nexus, etc. so the industry rumors have it at a price point of $250-$300. Anything higher than that doesn't make much sense, since you can get the intro model iPad 2 (16GB, wi-fi only) NEW for $400.
MomToOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #34
DoBug
Mouseketeer

ipad 2 compatible with icloud?

Hello

we are looking at an ipad 2 for DS10 Xmas gift. Some pp mentioned using the cloud to stream movies but I just wanted to confirm that we can use iCloud on that?

TIA
Dobug
Oct 2007 POFQ
Oct 2008 POFQ
Sept 2009 POFQ
Oct 2010 POFQ
Dec 2011 Swan
Oct 2012 POFQ
Sept 2014 POFQ
DoBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #35
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoBug View Post
Hello

we are looking at an ipad 2 for DS10 Xmas gift. Some pp mentioned using the cloud to stream movies but I just wanted to confirm that we can use iCloud on that?

TIA
Dobug
http://www.apple.com/icloud/features...-in-the-cloud/
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #36
Kies99
I Can has Cheezburger???

Quote:
Hello

TIA
Dobug
Be aware that there are fees associated with iCloud. You get 5GB free and then yearly charges beyond that.

While I despise iTunes, it's still really easy to just hook up and synch from my PC instead of using the cloud.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, bacon in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride!"

Some people are like slinkies, they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

Kies99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #37
MrsJackSparrow4Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hello

TIA
Dobug
You can not stream movies from iCloud (at least I have not figured out how to do this if you can). You can just download them from your account, so you don't have to worry about losing them if your computer crashes or anything like that.

It is Amazon's cloud that allows streaming of videos
MrsJackSparrow4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #38
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJackSparrow4Life View Post
You can not stream movies from iCloud (at least I have not figured out how to do this if you can). You can just download them from your account, so you don't have to worry about losing them if your computer crashes or anything like that.

It is Amazon's cloud that allows streaming of videos
Here is a pretty good explanation of iCloud and movie streaming:

http://www.imore.com/movies-icloud-means
Old 09-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #39
DoBug
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info. Yes, I misspoke about the movies and streaming. when I signed up for icloud you couldn't put movies on there. And I know its not really streaming but other than that I don't really understand it.

I am already using iCloud on my iphone so already paid for the extra space. I have lots of music on there

Also thanks for the info about movies being avail now - SWEET! I am still figuring this stuff out so will need to read up on that!
Oct 2007 POFQ
Oct 2008 POFQ
Sept 2009 POFQ
Oct 2010 POFQ
Dec 2011 Swan
Oct 2012 POFQ
Sept 2014 POFQ
DoBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #40
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

It's a huge pain in the backside to reload anything from the iCloud. When I had to have my iPad replaced, they saved everything to iCloud and it jammed up trying to reload to my iPad. I had to just go in and reload from iTunes, it was so much easier.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #41
sksjasams
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmama View Post
I have 16g and I find myself OFTEN having to delete/re-add certain apps/songs/whatever and it's a pain. And there's NO WAY I could fit a movie on there now.
I agree with this! My DS13 absolutely loves his iPad2 16gb wifi, however he really, really wishes he would have gotten one with more memory.

He has a 32gb iPod with tons of apps and songs and has maybe used 3gb, so we thought the 16gb iPad would be more than enough memory. Its not though. The apps in the iPad take up so much more memory. For example, Infinity Blade 2 uses 1.7gb alone. He actually went ahead and deleted it this morning because his iPad wouldn't sync due to lack of available space. Very frustrating..

Anyway, we talked about the iPad mini, and neither one of us can imagine using a smaller screen. It sounds like the iPad (fullsize) will be too large or bulky, but its actually perfect and its great for anything you use it for, even surfing the internet. Love it and so happy DS shares it with me
sksjasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #42
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

I agree that 16 GB is too small for an iPad 2. 32 GB is a much better choice.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #43
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJackSparrow4Life View Post
I am actually really surprised with how much I like the new Kindle Fire HD. I own an iPad and the original Kindle Fire and I have to say that out of all 3 I think this new Fire is going to be my favorite.

The size is perfect for me (the iPad gets a bit heavy after a while) and the new design is really nice IMO (not a clunky as the original Fire and much closer to the lines of an iPad). The new screen is really nice and I like that I can watch HD movies now.

I also like that you can stream movies from the cloud so I don't need as much storage as I did with my iPad. I just download 1 to 2 movies to watch while out of wifi range and the rest of the storage can be used for apps and games. A SD movie on the iPad takes up 1-2GB and an HD movie takes around 4GB, so it is nice to watch an HD movie without having to take up all the room.

I'm looking forward to next month and checking out how well the new Kindle FreeTime thing works. The original Kindle Fire's parental controls were useless at best but it sounds like this new application will fix that.

It is very Amazon centered, so if you and your child do not want to be purchasing Amazon content it probably isn't for you but as a person who already had a lot of Amazon content, it works great.
I like my Kindle Fire HD a lot too..I have an iPad 3 but the Fire is great for places I don't want to risk the iPad and it's better for reading- the iPad is too bulky.

If I'm somewhere where there isn't wifi- I can tether it to my iPhone.

I utilize Amazon a lot though, so someone else who doesn't may want to go the iPad route. The Google Nexus 7 is a nice tablet too.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #44
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I have a Netflix account and it streams movies/TV to the Ipad. I had the Netflix before I got the Ipad though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: