Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #76
calliope
Earning My Ears

It's coming up quick! How exciting! I never thought of counting the number of weekends. I'll have to check a calendar and see how many we have left.

I'm still waiting for the new edition of the cruise Passporter, which has had its publication date pushed back at least twice and is now listed on Amazon as coming out June 13, and on the Passporter site as coming out in June/July.

In the meantime, we've booked our excursions. Sled Dog Summer Camp, here we come!

Me K Lil Miss
calliope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #77
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

I just found your trip report and I am pretty sure you are my new best friend. We are sailing to Alaska July 15 with my almost 3 year old and my 17 month old. Yep. Two toddlers. One small room. I am panicked about sleep, but it will be fun.... right? We are also traveling with my in-laws.

I have a LONG packing list. Too long. I also stalked Gymboree like a mad woman during their end of the season sales and I maybe, just maybe, bought too much stuff... and if my daughter doesn't grow soon- I bought it all too big!! ARGH!!! You have inspired me to pare it down. I am a teacher and school just got out and I am thinking, sweet, I can start packing- but the cruise is still 51 days away- so I am trying to be strong. Plus, I have to torture my daughter into trying on clothes so I have to wait until it gets closer.

We are doing whale watching with Harv and Marv in Juneau, the train and street car tour in Skagway, and Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast in Ketchikan. I am a bit worried about the last one, I hope my kids behave and we aren't *those people* with the annoying kids.

I am also worried about naps, mostly for my younger one- she isn't an easy sleeper and is still young enough she needs one. My son is easier and is old enough that if he misses one it won't kills us. And selfishly, I am wondering how I am going to get to shop if the kids always need to nap after excursions, but I am thinking I might help put them to sleep and then let DH stay on the boat with them and I get back off. I haven't told him this plan yet... we'll see how he takes it!

AZMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #78
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calliope View Post
It's coming up quick! How exciting! I never thought of counting the number of weekends. I'll have to check a calendar and see how many we have left.

I'm still waiting for the new edition of the cruise Passporter, which has had its publication date pushed back at least twice and is now listed on Amazon as coming out June 13, and on the Passporter site as coming out in June/July.

In the meantime, we've booked our excursions. Sled Dog Summer Camp, here we come!
Boo to the late passporter, hooray for dog sledding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMermaid View Post
I just found your trip report and I am pretty sure you are my new best friend. We are sailing to Alaska July 15 with my almost 3 year old and my 17 month old. Yep. Two toddlers. One small room. I am panicked about sleep, but it will be fun.... right? We are also traveling with my in-laws.

I have a LONG packing list. Too long. I also stalked Gymboree like a mad woman during their end of the season sales and I maybe, just maybe, bought too much stuff... and if my daughter doesn't grow soon- I bought it all too big!! ARGH!!! You have inspired me to pare it down. I am a teacher and school just got out and I am thinking, sweet, I can start packing- but the cruise is still 51 days away- so I am trying to be strong. Plus, I have to torture my daughter into trying on clothes so I have to wait until it gets closer.

We are doing whale watching with Harv and Marv in Juneau, the train and street car tour in Skagway, and Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast in Ketchikan. I am a bit worried about the last one, I hope my kids behave and we aren't *those people* with the annoying kids.

I am also worried about naps, mostly for my younger one- she isn't an easy sleeper and is still young enough she needs one. My son is easier and is old enough that if he misses one it won't kills us. And selfishly, I am wondering how I am going to get to shop if the kids always need to nap after excursions, but I am thinking I might help put them to sleep and then let DH stay on the boat with them and I get back off. I haven't told him this plan yet... we'll see how he takes it!

Hi new friend!!!

As an aside, I was forbidden two years ago from ever again entering Gymboree without a chaperone.

Don't fret TOO much over the overpacking. I mean, when you're travelling with kids it's a fine line between running out of underwear and the whole "did we REALLY need to bring the Dora guitar?" and you have TWO - we are only bringing one!

Here are my thoughts on the kid stuff:
  • of course you'll need SOME toys, and SOME snacks, but there's no need to go overboard...the boat is one giant toy.
  • when it comes to packing their clothes, I followed this formula: start with one complete outfit per day, then take half of that out. Add a few "just in cases" (like an extra warm outfit, and a pair of shorts) and some comfies (I bring a pair or two of extra leggings for play clothes in the club). And embrace laundry. Because it will happen.
  • the sleep gets kind of strange anyhow, because as much as you try to follow the schedule, there's the whole time change thing and excursions tend to fall over naptime and so on and so on. You have the advantage of being closer to the west coast, which is good. You also have the advantage of travelling with another set of adults who presumably love your children! Use them!

I don't know if that helps or not. I have to admit, it still stresses me out to look at my list for Isabelle, but then I remember how much stuff we had the last time that we never used. There's "better safe than sorry" and there's also "sorry ma'am, your suitcase weighs 90 pounds....that will mean an additional fee of $90,000.00, please."
I might be exagerating a tad. It's probably only $89,000.

Two more weekends! Not counting this one. lol.
zweihund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #79
calliope
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by zweihund View Post
Two more weekends! Not counting this one. lol.
Time is flying!

The first Alaska run of the season sails tomorrow. Navigator-stalkers, start your engines.

Me K Lil Miss
calliope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #80
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

That totally helps- thank you. We HAD to make a trip to the Disney Store today to get my son the Mike Wazoski shirt I had been searching for- a friend tipped me off they had it there. They had only two left- I think it was last year's and it is off their site. I wanted it for Pixar night- but it is the florescent green one with the GIANT eye in the middle- and all they had was a 4, so he can wear it for at least a year. I figure this can be my go to shirt when we are headed somewhere I need to spot him in a crowd because WOW this shirt is bright! At least, that is how I justified it to myself to buy another shirt for this cruise. I resisted the Gymboree across the way, but really, my husband was with us.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #81
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calliope View Post
Time is flying!

The first Alaska run of the season sails tomorrow. Navigator-stalkers, start your engines.
Started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMermaid View Post
That totally helps- thank you. We HAD to make a trip to the Disney Store today to get my son the Mike Wazoski shirt I had been searching for- a friend tipped me off they had it there. They had only two left- I think it was last year's and it is off their site. I wanted it for Pixar night- but it is the florescent green one with the GIANT eye in the middle- and all they had was a 4, so he can wear it for at least a year. I figure this can be my go to shirt when we are headed somewhere I need to spot him in a crowd because WOW this shirt is bright! At least, that is how I justified it to myself to buy another shirt for this cruise. I resisted the Gymboree across the way, but really, my husband was with us.

I spent a few hours last night talking my stepmother down from packing 8 bazillion outfit options for Vancouver. We're Florida people. Jeans and a t-shirt will be fine. We might even be cold. Who knows. But we do NOT need three different pairs of shorts, plus capris, plus a light jacket.

WE DO NOT.

And then yesterday adter naptime, I asked my three year old what she wanted to do and she said "let's get ready for Alaska!" I swear, I did not coach her to say that. After wiping a proud tear from my eye, I managed to get her to try on not one, not two but FOUR pairs of pants to see what was too small. And sadly, 2/5 of her 3T jeans no longer fit her! This kid, I swear. Every time I think I have enough clothes for her, she grows another quarter of an inch and then everything is too short and she complains about her feet hurting in the shoes I JUST BOUGHT.

Yeah, honey, I know. Mommy's hurting too. In the wallet region.

Luckily her jacket and tops all still fir just fine, and she has a few pairs of khaki-weight pants that I think will work for the not-so-cold days. But I will need to hit Target this week for a few pairs of leggings to fill in the gaps. Other than that, I think we'll manage with what we have. And a few trips to the laundry room.

I scoffed at my parents for buying her size 9 boots two months ago, when she was still wearing a size 7. I said "well, I guess I can get her some thick socks...." and of course they exchanged a knowing look, because who's laughing now? She's totally busting out of her size 8 shoes....thank goodness converse run a little big, I think we can still get away with those for this trip. With thin socks.

There is also one more thing I need to get that I had not considered necessary until our trip to New York, when it rained all through takeoff and landing: a water-resistant stroller bag. Because after nine plus hours of travel, the last thing I will need is to lug 35 pounds of tired, cranky preschooler through the Vancouver airport because the stroller is soaked. Not the best way to start your vacation.

It's getting ridiculously close. Two more weekends!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:04 AM   #82
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Can't believe the 1st Alaska cruise has set off and its been a year since I was on it. Rain is a definate possibility so be prepared.
Chilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #83
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Can't believe the 1st Alaska cruise has set off and its been a year since I was on it. Rain is a definate possibility so be prepared.
Oh, yes. I'm thinking it's more a PROBABILITY! lol
We found that raingear worked well last time, I've never been a giant fan of umbrellas since I spent three years in Edinburgh. I learned that the wind is not your friend, and a hooded raincoat is much warmer!

So we've pretty much gotten everything settled. Last week I'd been contacting different transportation companies to hire a driver for the trips to and from the airport. It was so easy and reasonable last time. But apparently, add a few more adults into the mix and suddenly no one offers SUVs or Vans....it's a stretch or a super stretch for $150 each way (plus a $20 service fee AND a tip)!
So upon further investigation, I learned it's actually pretty easy to get a taxi from the airport. Plus, they will call a van if that's what you need. For $35! Also, there is a shuttle from the cruise terminal back to the airport for $15 a person, and you can reserve a seat in advance.

For those of you who like math, that makes $110 ROUND TRIP for a family of five. It might not come with champagne in the back, but with what we are saving we can buy a bottle of champagne on the boat! Or two! Maybe even three....

In other news, I am starting to get panicked....ABOUT WORK.

Last time we went on a trip of this duration I was working part-time as a staff therapist, so there wasn't much to prep other than "here's what I did with these patients - your turn!" This time, however, I am running a department of 35 people. There is so much to do to get ready! I have to wrap up the June schedule and send it out, I have to prep a list of who is covering me on what days, I have to let people know what meetings I will be missing, I have to set up my away message, I have to roll out all of the updates to my team captains.....

Packing? Pshhhh. I can do that with my eyes closed. It's the work prep that's freaking me out! And the worry over what my inbox will look like upon my return.

And people wonder why I need a vacation
Old 06-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #84
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

We are doing exactly the same as you, just grabbing a taxi from the airport

The prices really don't seem too bad and when we looked at pre-booking a scheduled pick up it was just so expensive. I really can't be bothered to use the train after a 10 hour flight with our cases!

I hear what you are saying about work. I feel like everything is set at home but I have so much stuff to do at work still and only one week left in the office to do it all!

Argh - it's so close now
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #85
Chilly
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

We got the train and it was really easy. But we didn't have a kiddy to think about.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #86
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.

Crunch time.

It's officially the home stretch, and I am feeling it. I'm working Sunday through Wednesday this week (to save a vacation day, which at this point in time seems hardly worth it but hey....) and then we fly out on Thursday at ridiculous-o-clock in the morning.

This weekend we got the last of the things we needed: snacks, hand warmers, scotch guard for the shoes and so on. I even managed to get half of Isabelle's things set aside for packing (I'm saving the rest until I actually pull the suitcases down from the closet). AND, we arranged a "trial run" of the evening routine with our housesitter who is gracious enough to take the care of on our grumpy bird and quirky dog for nearly two weeks.

I'm guessing the fact that we have strange animals is of little surprise to anyone reading this. I can't help but wonder what they are like when we are away - do they mope around, or are they totally partying it up? I'll bet our parrot is flying around our room madly while the dog sprawls on the bed and makes long-distance phone calls.

I'm in that state of excited disbelief that it's so close, but I am also freaking out a bit. I was at work for 12 hours on Friday. I'll probably be there late tomorrow, Monday and Tuesday as well. I am in the midst of orienting a new-hire and I just put two requisitions in for open positions (as an aside, if you know any neuro-trained therapists in the Central Florida area, tell them I'd like to make them an offer they can't refuse). And a giant uniform order just came in for the entire team which has to be sorted and distributed. Have to finish the July schedule and send it out, have to fill in about three spreadsheets that are all due at the end of the month and have to leave organized notes and schedules for those covering for me while I am away.

Why did I want this promotion again?

Needless to say, I am stressing. I have no idea when I will have the time to pack. I'm thinking about heading out early on Wednesday since I probably won't be able to focus on anything productive anyhow, and then locking myself in the bedroom until everything we are taking is zipped and weighed and organized.
After that, I will be locking myself in the bathroom and taking the world's longest bath. And probably also taking care of my child at some point.

I did find some time this evening to look at a trip report or two, and the little spark of "oooohhhhh" started to ignite. I get goose bumps looking at Tracy Arm, and all of the wacky seal pictures just make me smile.

It's totally going to be worth it.

So if you're in the Orlando airport at 6am on Thursday? My kid will be the one in her PJ's and a single askew ponytail holding a gangly cow and eating a doughnut from the food court. Odds are I won't be looking any more glamorous or eating anything healthier. But, I will be on vacation, and that's what really counts.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #87
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

How exciting!! We still have 5 more weeks- but I am sure it will fly by..... I am a teacher so I am at home with my 2 right now. Hmmmmm..... that is sorta good and sorta eh. We try to stay busy which helps the stir crazy hot as heck afternoons. Today my son was freezing in the butter aisle. I told him he was gonna have a rough time in Alaska- not that he knows what Alaska is!

Old 06-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #88
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Hi Erica!
I am so excited you are finally going- can't wait to read all about it. You are very smart to bring your daughter NOW, when she can't tell you she doesn't want to go on a cold cruise in summer- because that is what my teenagers tell me every time I try to get them onboard for Alaska next year. My DH says he will go- guess I should start working harder on him, huh?

Have WONDERFUL weather and a GLORIOUS experience- hope to see you sometime on some ship with a certain bunch of fun mommies....

Ellen
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #89
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Have a great time Erica!!!

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #90
Chilly
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Have a wonderful magical time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: