Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #46
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas
 
Linda67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: England
Posts: 5,559

Quote:
Originally Posted by zweihund View Post




I'm jealous! I probably need to invest in a new one, it really is a great resource. Enjoy it! I highly recommend color-coded post-it flags.

So, I did finally get on the DCL site last night and I may or may not have booked a massage....
I also got to check out the main times for our excursions, which seem to either be at ridiculous o'clock or right over lunchtime. I have to do a little investigation into what time things open in Skagway and Juneau, which are our early ports. 7:15 for Skagway, and 6:15 (!!!) for Juneau. And I'm thinking....what is there to do at 6:15 am in Juneau? I mean, besides get coffee?

I realize, however, we East-coasters are at a slight advantage when it comes to early excursions....considering only partially changing our schedules not only to put an early excursion into the realm of possibilities for folks travelling with toddlers, but also to ease the transition back to real life once we return to reality at the end of the cruise.

Thoughts?
Not that I am particularly experienced in this area, but if I owned a store in Skagway or Juneau, I would most certainly be open the second that cruise ship arrived!
It's driving me crazy waiting until the 19th to book our excusrions - I hate not knowing if everything we want is already sold out
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #47
Hedd4DW
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 44

Loving your pre-trip report! We are on the cruise after you. Also taking grandparents and another family. Also flying into Vancouver (my family and parents) while the other family flies into Seattle and takes the train. We are also gold and traveling with all noobs. Slightly different ages for kids though - this is a high school graduation trip for my oldest son. (Who am I kidding? It is what I wanted to do. But all I had to say was Disney Cruise and he was ready to go!) I am a compulsive over-packer, so I am going to have to study the RS packing pages and use some of your recommendations. And I have been obsessed with planning since I booked this in March of 2012.
Hedd4DW is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #48
beffiefox
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 20

I've enjoyed reading through this thread and am really impressed both by your ability to plan AND then write it all down for the rest of us!!!!
We're cruising to Alaska July29 so I have a little more time, but clearly I need to get on the ball! Thanks for sharing (:
beffiefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #49
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.
 
zweihund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Casselberry, FL - 40 minutes from the mouse.
Posts: 2,638

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Not that I am particularly experienced in this area, but if I owned a store in Skagway or Juneau, I would most certainly be open the second that cruise ship arrived!
It's driving me crazy waiting until the 19th to book our excusrions - I hate not knowing if everything we want is already sold out
Amen to that! Both accounts lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedd4DW View Post
Loving your pre-trip report! We are on the cruise after you. Also taking grandparents and another family. Also flying into Vancouver (my family and parents) while the other family flies into Seattle and takes the train. We are also gold and traveling with all noobs. Slightly different ages for kids though - this is a high school graduation trip for my oldest son. (Who am I kidding? It is what I wanted to do. But all I had to say was Disney Cruise and he was ready to go!) I am a compulsive over-packer, so I am going to have to study the RS packing pages and use some of your recommendations. And I have been obsessed with planning since I booked this in March of 2012.
OMG, you are me!
The Real Simple packing is AMAZING. If you're a pintrest person, I actually pinned the online article for quick reference. It has totally changed the way I pack. In fact, I'm looking at my current packing list and thinking "I need to eliminate about 1/3 of this" even though there is plenty of room....

Quote:
Originally Posted by beffiefox View Post
I've enjoyed reading through this thread and am really impressed both by your ability to plan AND then write it all down for the rest of us!!!!
We're cruising to Alaska July29 so I have a little more time, but clearly I need to get on the ball! Thanks for sharing (:
I believe the term you are looking for is "obsessive compulsive" that is totally me when it comes to vacation planning! But it does serive a purpose. My friends and family laugh at me until we get there, and then they don't have to worry about anything.
zweihund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #50
jackieinJuneau
Mouseketeer
 
jackieinJuneau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Juneau Ak
Posts: 178

Great pre trip report! I am really enjoying fallowing along. Just wanted to chime in on a cluople of things, sorry I can't figure out how to quote in the mobile app.

I live in Juneau so can shed some light on what to do at 6 am. I used to work in a gift shop as a shift manager the earliest we opened was 7am. One ship is not enough for the stores to open 3 is about where it becomes worth it. This is for a few reasons in the case of the Disney ships you are docked at the AJ dock, that is the one furthest from down town. So it takes a while for most people to get into the shopping area. Most people don't get up early, such a small percent of people from each ship is going to be up and less if it's raining, which is often. This means that not much is open early in the morning.

But it also means that the area is empty, this is a great time to take pictures without a lot of people I'm your way! By 6 it's so light out that the pictures will look like the afternoon to most people. Also that early you may be able to see down town before the other ships pull in, it makes a huge difference in the view! There is good coffee down own our local shop is call Heritage.

Your plans sound great, thanks for sharing.
jackieinJuneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #51
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.
 
zweihund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Casselberry, FL - 40 minutes from the mouse.
Posts: 2,638

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieinJuneau View Post
Great pre trip report! I am really enjoying fallowing along. Just wanted to chime in on a cluople of things, sorry I can't figure out how to quote in the mobile app.

I live in Juneau so can shed some light on what to do at 6 am. I used to work in a gift shop as a shift manager the earliest we opened was 7am. One ship is not enough for the stores to open 3 is about where it becomes worth it. This is for a few reasons in the case of the Disney ships you are docked at the AJ dock, that is the one furthest from down town. So it takes a while for most people to get into the shopping area. Most people don't get up early, such a small percent of people from each ship is going to be up and less if it's raining, which is often. This means that not much is open early in the morning.

But it also means that the area is empty, this is a great time to take pictures without a lot of people I'm your way! By 6 it's so light out that the pictures will look like the afternoon to most people. Also that early you may be able to see down town before the other ships pull in, it makes a huge difference in the view! There is good coffee down own our local shop is call Heritage.

Your plans sound great, thanks for sharing.
What great advice, thanks! We may give that a try and I will definitely keep Heritage in mind

We did end up booking our excursions and luckily all parties involved were on board with the early itenerary. We'll be on the 7:15 train in Skagway (coffee in hand!) and the 8am glacier/whale excursion in Juneau. Hooray!

We also booked the condo for Vancouver, so things are speeding right along!

One thing I have not yet tackled: air travel. Yeah, I know. I should totally have tickets by now. But truthfully, I did the same thing in 2011 and the prices ended up dropping shortly before we left.
This year's prices had been steady until just recently, and now they are dropping a little bit. So the plan is to let them drop a little bit more, and then BAM - we will snatch them up.

You know, it's funny - by this time in 2011 I was in complete panic mode. Things to buy, packing to plan, excursions to get cold feet about and then change at the last minute...but this time around I feel quite relaxed. Part of it has to do with having already done this itenerary, but the other part of it has to do with FINALLY (after what - 8 cruises?) understanding that this is going to be a fun vacation regardless of whether or not I forget the mangetic clips for keeping navigators on the back of the door. That, if by some chance I forget the pop-up hamper, it will be ok. And yes, if the nightlight doesn't make it into my bag, life will still go on. It really is ok.

Of course, I'm NOT going to forget any of that stuff. It's already on my list. I'm just not obsessing about it this time, which I am sure my husband and everyone around me really appreciates.

That said, one of my travelling counterparts just informed me that she took my packing list and color-coded it. I was like, HOW DID THAT NEVER OCCUR TO ME???
zweihund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #52
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights
 
jedijill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 5,664

Yay! Another Geek report. Alaska is on my bucket list...maybe next year!

Jill in CO
__________________
jedijill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #53
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.
 
zweihund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Casselberry, FL - 40 minutes from the mouse.
Posts: 2,638

Target, how I love thee.
I hit the after-Easter sale on Monday and got both Isabelle and Paige, her little buddy, poofy girly dresses for semi-formal night for $14.
$14!!!!!
I also got the peanut a new pair of jeans and a rainproof shell. The latter was not on sale, but I've been eyeing it for some time now and figured why not?

Started the "get a little bit here, a little bit there" shopping for my odds and ends. Which means travel laundry detergent is covered. Woohoo! I found out our condo in Vancouver has a washing machine, so guess what I am doing Sunday night before the cruise? Getting the first load out of the way!

Been looking at these handwarmers as well, considering splitting them amongst the group mainly for our time in Tracy Arm and on the train. I've heard good things about them, I'm just not sure if they're really necessary or how many we would need. Thoughts?
zweihund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #54
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!
 
RweTHEREyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: OKW, BCV, SSR, BLT, THV, VGC, VGF
Posts: 6,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by zweihund View Post

Been looking at these handwarmers as well, considering splitting them amongst the group mainly for our time in Tracy Arm and on the train. I've heard good things about them, I'm just not sure if they're really necessary or how many we would need. Thoughts?
You know the old saying, better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. Personally, my hands and feet stay cold, so these will be a must for me. I am wondering if they have a shelf life, if I could start buying stuff like this now for a cruise next May.
__________________
RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #55
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!
 
Tink rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 18,100

Handwarmers are always good...

and if you don't use them... you can give them to the crew. they will be sailing in cooler weather later in the year
__________________
'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,'tis the gift to come down where you ought to be, And when we find ourselves in the place just right, t'will be in the valley of love and delight.

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #56
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas
 
Linda67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: England
Posts: 5,559

We've used this type of hand warmer in the past on chilly UK days; they don't heat your hands completely but they certainly take the edge off if you know what I mean?
They're sort of comforting as well
I intend to wrap my hands around a hot chocolate for a similar effect
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #57
LemonPie
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 283

I bought a case of hand warmers from Amazon. I was going to use them as part of an FE for our Alaskan cruise in September. Well now it looks like we might not be able to go. I don't know what I will do with a case of hand warmers.
LemonPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #58
DillWaters
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonPie View Post
I bought a case of hand warmers from Amazon. I was going to use them as part of an FE for our Alaskan cruise in September. Well now it looks like we might not be able to go. I don't know what I will do with a case of hand warmers.
Return them? Amazon's return policy is usually pretty generous.
DillWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #59
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!
 
Tink rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 18,100

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonPie View Post
I bought a case of hand warmers from Amazon. I was going to use them as part of an FE for our Alaskan cruise in September. Well now it looks like we might not be able to go. I don't know what I will do with a case of hand warmers.
doesn't it get cold in Wyoming?

I saw an article not long ago where someone suggested you give them to someone who is having a baby shower... it's a good way to warm up a baby's bottle when you're not near anything that will help.
__________________
'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,'tis the gift to come down where you ought to be, And when we find ourselves in the place just right, t'will be in the valley of love and delight.

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #60
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.
 
zweihund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Casselberry, FL - 40 minutes from the mouse.
Posts: 2,638

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonPie View Post
I bought a case of hand warmers from Amazon. I was going to use them as part of an FE for our Alaskan cruise in September. Well now it looks like we might not be able to go. I don't know what I will do with a case of hand warmers.
Oh no! I hope you will be able to go

But if not, maybe I can take them off your hands
zweihund is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.