Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Has anyone tried the crockpot chicken breasts with salsa recipe I see posted

on this board all the time? Every time I've tried to cook chicken breasts in the crockpot, they came out very dry. How do these come out and what's the secret to keeping the breasts moist and tasty after 8 hours of cooking?
Old 09-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

The only way I have ever been able to cook chicken breast in the crock-pot is to use an older crock-pot. When I cook them in a newer one it cooks them too hot and they turn out dry.

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
punkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by powellrj View Post
The only way I have ever been able to cook chicken breast in the crock-pot is to use an older crock-pot. When I cook them in a newer one it cooks them too hot and they turn out dry.
That's not good.

My oldest crockpot is only 6 years old. I am pretty sure you mean older than that since this one dries out chicken every time.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

I don't know what recipe is floating around here, but a couple of weeks ago, I put 3 frozen chicken breasts in my Crock-Pot with a 16 oz jar of salsa and some taco seasoning mix. I cooked it on low all day and it was very juicy and good.

Coming up: Long weekend at CSR for Veterans' Day

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
punkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire&TheBoys View Post
I don't know what recipe is floating around here, but a couple of weeks ago, I put 3 frozen chicken breasts in my Crock-Pot with a 16 oz jar of salsa and some taco seasoning mix. I cooked it on low all day and it was very juicy and good.
What I remember was 4 chicken breasts; jar of salsa; can of beans; can of corn (add at the end to warm up). Cook all day on low.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
sksjasams
DIS Veteran

I made this two weeks ago, and make it every couple months. I do put some salsa on the bottom and then layer the chicken breasts with salsa. I use a lot of salsa - cheap brand is fine. I use frozen chicken breasts.

With my old crockpot it could cook all day on low(more than 9 hours) and be fine. With my new one, we take it out after about 6-7 hours on low.

Now one thing I have heard, is that if the crockpot is not at least 3/4 full, that food will cook too quickly. That could be part of my issue, as my new crockpot is bigger than my old one, and even with 9 small chicken breasts it is not half way full.
sksjasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
jmunutt
Mouseketeer

I use frozen chicken breasts, jar of salsa, taco seasoning, black beans and corn in the crock pot on low for 6 hours. I add a block of cream cheese the last 30 minutes. I then shred the chicken and serve it over brown rice. The chicken is moist and I serve this almost every other week. Leftovers reheat nicely too.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
punkin

Maybe the trick is to start the chicken off frozen.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
ekatiel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
What I remember was 4 chicken breasts; jar of salsa; can of beans; can of corn (add at the end to warm up). Cook all day on low.
I think the one you're talking about is:

4 chicken breasts
jar of salsa
can of black beans, drained
can of corn, drained
8oz. block of cream cheese (add one hour before serving)

Cook first four ingredients all day on low, but one hour before serving, place a block of softened cream cheese on top. The cream cheese will melt. Serve the mixture over rice. It will be delicious. We eat this all the time (I think I may even be the first one to post this here on the Dis-- does that make me famous ?!). --Katie
Old 09-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
punkin

No. No cream cheese. Nothing fattening. The one I remember seemed really low fat to me.

But even with the cream cheese, does the actual chicken meat come out moist or is it dry?
Old 09-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
jodifla

DIS Veteran

I've found starting off with frozen chicken breasts is the key to keeping them moist in the crockpot.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
Priorityonecb
DIS Veteran

I made it last week, and it was very moist and delicious. I did start with frozen chicken breast. I omit the cream cheese, we prefer it without.
Priorityonecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

I have never had dry chicken from my crock pot. Never. In fact quite the opposite. 9 times out of 10 I'm using frozen chicken but even thawed is never dry. It sounds like your pot either gets too hot, cooks too long or didn't have enough liquid. I usually use mine when I'm at work, I set it to cook for 8 hours and leave, when I come home and we eat (10 hours later lol) we have a great meal waiting and the house smells so good. My crock pot is about a year old, I also have an older one (from the 80's probably, removeable crock but no timer, just a high and low setting) that cooks the same way as my newer one. I used them both a couple weekends ago to make a lot of pulled pork for company, cooked them alongside each other and you couldn't tell the difference in the meat.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
ceecee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla View Post
I've found starting off with frozen chicken breasts is the key to keeping them moist in the crockpot.
Yes, that's the secret. I buy fresh chicken and freeze it! I just made chicken, carrots and potatoes in muchroom soup today. I got the recipe here...the chicken is very moist and tender but unfortunately the recipe was not a keeper!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #15
reneaterry
Mouseketeer

I use 2 frozen breast,can of rinsed black beans, bag of frozen corn, and jar of salsa. Cook on low for 6 hrs. Shred the chicken and the eat it with rice, or on tortillas for tacos, or as a soup.
reneaterry is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: